Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subwoofer placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Neal
Any ideas on where/how to get a small sub in my 914, I have a center console but it just does not look like enough room even to fit a 6". I am leaning towards a
small tube for the passenger side, any ideas ?
Neal
Demick
6" Bazooka sub in front of the passenger seat is one method.

Up to a 10" sub in the passenger footwell is another popular method. This is what I did. I pretty much followed Brian Ng's instructions:

http://www.ngland.net/~brian/caraudio.html

It does limit passenger legroom, but I don't have passengers very often. And I made sure I put a strong grille over the sub so the passenger can put their feet on it with no worries about damaging it.

Demick
'74 2.0
BenNC
Not recommended but, I have a friend (really) who bought a 914 off of evil bay that had 2 6x9ish speakers installed in cutouts in the back wall behind the seats. Yes, they were sticking out into the engine bay. I can't remember if they had cut holes through the insulation or just removed it completely. I imagine the sound quality was someting else (just not sure what).
Jeffs9146
This is what I did!

Jeff
brant
I just sold a custom center enclosure that was in a car from a previous owner....

It sounded great.

the new owner re upholstered it and sent pictures to me today.. it came out nice...

I'll try to attatch my first picture...
brant
obviously I don't know what I'm doing...
Is there a way to take an attatched picture on my hotmail account and put it into this post?

brant
Jeffs9146
Save it to your computer first then click browse at the bottom

Jeff

Do NOT preview it first!!!!!
Pnambic
What size is that sub Jeff? I was planning the same thing.
Jeffs9146
8"

It is reinforced and fiberglassed inside and I added 1" in the front and 1/2 inch in the top!

.85 qf

Jeff
airsix
Jeff's console looks awsome!

Last year I had a custom fiberglass console with a 10". I yanked that out and build a passenger-footwell enclosure just like Brian Ng's. It's covered by the original carpet and you can't tell it's there save for some lost leg room.

I like it, but I like Jeff's console better. Nice job Jeff.

-Ben M.
Jeffs9146
Thanks!

I spent all day yesterday grinding the fiberglass on the bottom because I didn't leave enough room for the consol to sit down over the center tunnel! It took me almost two hours to get it without damaging the consol!! It fit like a glove!!

Jeff
Malmz
The old car. Polk DB10. Another note on the db series, you don't need a grill. The center cone is hard plastic so it can't be dented in. Required enclosure spec'ed out to be relatively small like the JLs. Brian's was my inspiration years ago...
East coaster
I created a sub-woofer that fits where the factory center tray/pad goes. I used a powered bazooka tube and took the amp and driver out of the tube and built a box for them that fits perfectly in place of the tray. I upholstered the sub to match my interior and added a 1/2" of padding on the top. It looks factory and it puts my arm at the perfect height for shifting and pumps some bass. The other bonus is you can pop it out in 2 minutes and go back to stock look if you want. The back of the enclosure is angled from top to bottom and the backpad holds it in place by tension.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.