Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914/4 front sheetmetal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
john914/4
Click to view attachmentI would like to know if anyone can tell me about this front sheetmetal on my 1972 914 that I am restoring. It was originally gold and it has a boost gauge in the console. I cannot find a reason for the gauge. it is all original and in very good condition for the year. it does have me confused. I am wanting to put the sheetmetal from my 1970 donor car onto it. I don't know. every one I have spoke to cannot believe this front sheetmetal was stock. but it is.
mepstein
Not stock. Doesn't even fit correctly. Looks like crash damage repair.

Sarastro
Chrome bumpers, which one commonly sees, were actually an option. This could be an original piece that would have been painted the same color as the car. The lower valance would have been black just like the rocker panels. If it is an original piece, it looks as though it was damaged at some point which could explain why it now appears not to fit, license plate mounting holes have been filled, and the lowerlight/horn grilles are missing.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(john914/4 @ Aug 13 2011, 08:10 AM) *

Click to view attachmentI would like to know if anyone can tell me about this front sheetmetal on my 1972 914 that I am restoring. It was originally gold and it has a boost gauge in the console. I cannot find a reason for the gauge. it is all original and in very good condition for the year. it does have me confused. I am wanting to put the sheetmetal from my 1970 donor car onto it. I don't know. every one I have spoke to cannot believe this front sheetmetal was stock. but it is.

John. we'd love to know the VIN of your car.

But seriously, your 914 is NOT original. There are no openings for horns nor foglight/non-foglight grills. The guage is of no impotance, since it never was there on an original 914. Know a little about '72's. If it was originally Gold that would be a $300 option, with wait for availability. Couldn'y afford it in 72, so I went with Bahia Red.

Sorry, the front sheetmetal is NOT original.
Pat
john914/4
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 13 2011, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(john914/4 @ Aug 13 2011, 08:10 AM) *

John. we'd love to know the VIN of your car.

But seriously, your 914 is NOT original. There are no openings for horns nor foglight/non-foglight grills. The guage is of no impotance, since it never was there on an original 914. Know a little about '72's. If it was originally Gold that would be a $300 option, with wait for availability. Couldn'y afford it in 72, so I went with Bahia Red.

Sorry, the front sheetmetal is NOT original.
Pat

Vin# 4722919064, Eng# AW009121, Chassie# 2439512, Color code L97H (gold) the car has been sitting in a pole barn for a few years and the last title was in Michigan. it is in very original and good condition. the orange paint put on later was not really to good as the gold underneath shows through in trunk and under hood. hardly any rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.