Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change time - what to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
What oil do y'all use?

I've been looking at the 5qt jugs at Wal-mart yesterday and found Penzoil 10W-40. It said something about for higher mileage cars. After looking at the price, I figured this stuff was a no-brainer... Regular price for the 5qt jug was $9.14 ohmy.gif

I wold have bought it right then if there were either more than one jug or if this one was 6qts.... get it $9.14 for 6qts... Maybe I'm alone in my humor huh.gif
ArtechnikA
i tried a number of "High Mileage" oils in J's "Nissan Valdez" and could detect no difference whatsoever in performance, fuel mileage, or the substantial leakage rate. i'm no fan of either Castrol or Pennzoil (same thing...) products.

they have Mobil-1 in those 5-qt jugs too - two is enough for a fill and a spare quart...

just please don't tell me you're using a Fram filter :-)
djm914-6
I thought that you couldn't use Mobil 1 on these older motors. I thought i read that this stuff will leak though about every seal in the engine (more than what's leaking now).

No, I don't use Fram filters! They are too expencive, I usually just buy Wal-marts house brand or what ever I can get cheaply. wink.gif

Rich, we need to talk about getting me the right VIN number.
anthony
I use whatever brand name 20-50 oil is on sale at the FLAPS. Lately that's been Havoline.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jul 6 2004, 06:30 AM)
I thought that you couldn't use Mobil 1 on these older motors. I thought i read that this stuff will leak though about every seal in the engine...

partly that's old data, partly it's strue...

the original Mobil-1 from the late '70's wasn't completely compatible with some seals (donno if Porsche seals fell into that category, but some cars had issues...) and it had very low viscosity - like 5.

i wouldn't use any of the new 0W or 5W synthetics in an old aircooled engine, no matter how big the big number was.

i decided to check it our for myself in the 911, and i've been running 15W-50 for a year now. new valve covers and proper gaskets and new oil strainer cover and gaskets cleared up most of the leakage. i've still got a pretty good leak at the back that i hope is the crankshaft pulley seal although statistically it's the #8 main bearing O-ring i can't do anything about.

i made the first couple of oil & filter changes pretty close together in case any gunk got stirred up, but otherwise there are no issues. once we get another running car in the stable i'll replace the crank pulley seal and see what that does.

there probably is -some- risk that it'll leak worse with a synthetic...
what we used to use in the aircooled cars before Mobil-1 was available and affordable was Duckham's Q, a 15W-50 dino oil. i haven't seen it in years.

before that i ran 20W50 Valvoline Racing Oil. that was in SoCal - i donno if 20W isn't a bit heavy for a New England winter, but i'd think a 10W40 (if there is such a thing) would do nicely.
tdgray
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jul 6 2004, 06:30 AM)

I usually just buy Wal-marts house brand or what ever I can get cheaply. wink.gif

Not being a jerk.... but why would you shop at a Wal-Mart anytway.

They are the worst corporation in the world. They pay sh$t for wages, beat thier vendors to hell and back to save a nickel and put every other store out of business with thier predatory business pratices.

Sorry I don't care if I have to pay 10 bucks more to shop somewhere else, I will never step foot into a Wal-Mart as long as I live.

finger.gif Wal Mart
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 6 2004, 12:25 PM)
    They are the worst corporation in the world.
    They pay sh$t for wages
    beat thier vendors to hell and back to save a nickel
    put every other store out of business with thier predatory business pratices.
...I will never step foot into a Wal-Mart as long as I live.

because they -- ahhh -- make money for their stockholders ?
    don't work there. the people that work in the one near me don't apprar to be employable many other places ...
    don't sell to them.
    such as - supplying name-brand products at low prices ?
so don't shop there. works for me ...

i am happy you can overpay $10 on every shopping trip.
tdgray
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 6 2004, 12:38 PM)

because they -- ahhh -- make money for their stockholders ?
don't work there.  the people that work in the one near me don't apprar to be employable many other places ...
don't sell to them.
such as - supplying name-brand products at low prices ?

With that said it is obvious that you don't understand a business cycle.

Want a history lesson. How about asking Delphi how they liked the dictatorial way that GM treated them.... oooh so sorry they went bankrupt and GM had to bail them out. Real smart. Maybe you want to talk to the a few of WM's vendors who are getting nickel and dimed out of business because they signed LTA's with WM but then all of a sudden WM changes the terms like only shipping on thier trucks, only there still is a penalty for late shipment arrival and the F'in WM truck didn't deliver it on time and the vendor gets fined. Thats a real great corporate policy for ya there.

You can buy all the cheesy cheapo-shit you want from Walmart just don't complain when they are the only game in town and charging whatever they want. BTW if you don't believe that you should talk to some of the people who work for them. When they run out of town all the other business, the prices get raised an average of 2 - 6 percent pratically overnight.... now isn't great that that you saved all that money?

Making money for investors is not the same as building value for investors. Good ole Sam knew the way to do it, the idiots running this place now should be shot.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 6 2004, 01:31 PM)
With that said it is obvious that you don't understand a business cycle.

...Maybe you want to talk to the a few of WM's vendors who are getting nickel and dimed out of business because they signed LTA's with WM but then all of a sudden WM changes the terms...

You can buy all the cheesy cheapo-shit you want from Walmart...

Making money for investors is not the same as building value for investors. Good ole Sam knew the way to do it, the idiots running this place now should be shot.

you have no idea what i do or do not understand, my friend ...

when a party changes the terms of the agreement, it's called breach of contract and if the vendor had other buyers, they'd sue to void the contract and sell to the other buyers...

i, for one, do not consider Mobil-1 to be cheesy cheapo shit ...

as regards your last paragraph, i see exactly the same situation with Porsche.
(trying to return this discussion to Porsche, if not 914, content ...)
Jake Raby
Mobil 1 is my least favorite oil for the TIV.. It works fine ina 911 but the TIV is a different story.

among 7 synthetics that I tested valvoline 20/50 and Royal Purple came out on top.

I have 13K on the royal purple in the 912- no time to change it!
anthony
Synthetic oil doesn't cause "leaks" per se. The molecules are smaller and thus can seep past seals that kept in regular oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.