Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV upright shrouds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuch toy
OK....I know of FAT Performance and Fiberwerks, any other sources? Anyone have some used or sitting the back of the garage?

I also am looking for Type IV headers for a rear engine set up.
JeffBowlsby
https://www.qualityvwparts.com/opp.html
Brad Roberts
He stopped selling them... I think Raby bought him out.

Let us know Zois.

I personally dont like this one. I think they use a stock Type1 alt/fan.

B
Britain Smith
Zois,

We should talk one on one about these concerns, I have spent a lot of time investigating the cooling options as well as the headers for a read engine set-up. I have a 1969 912 that I am doing a type-IV conversion and I am tackling these issues.

-Britain
kafermeister
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 23 2003, 06:18 PM)
I personally dont like this one. I think they use a stock Type1 alt/fan.

Yep. Brad I would agree with you on the Type-1 fan, and I know your feelings on information from folks that have not BTDT, but...

I do specifically remember last year when this topic came up on Shoptalkforums. The wisdom from the board was that the Type-1 fan with conversion cylinder tin was good for Type-IV engines up to 2300cc. The 911 style fan kits were desired for engines 2300cc and up.

I've already forwarded these links to Mike but I'll post them here if anyone else is looking to research upright cooling options.

http://home.att.net/~nextgen/
http://www.spiretech.com/~opshroud/
...and then there's CSP (Custom Speed Parts) .
http://www.customspeedparts.com (to go English>engine>Type-4 Cooling Systems)

Rick
1976 2.0
1969 Beetle that wants a Type-IV..but aint getting it.
Mark Henry
On the OPP shroud, the guy died and the son took over but he's a total fuck-up and he doesn't fill his orders. Raby tried to buy the molds but no-go, apparently they're old and crappy anyways.

Raby is working on a new shroud kit, super secret and hush-hush rolleyes.gif
By the sounds of things he is going to want a small fortune for them.

Be careful with these units, some cool way worse than the stock set-up.
kafermeister
Mark, Thanks for the info on OPShroud. I didn't know there were issues there.

I'm
Britain Smith
Raby told me that he would complete the new shroud by July I beleive. It was going to be something like $750 or so for the shroud and like $150 for the surrounding sheet metal (fiberglass) peices to complete the conversion.

-Britain
fuch toy
So....what is everyone using for headers?
Brad Roberts
Rick,

I used stock VW fans on Type1 engines up to 2180cc...so I wasnt really concerned with the cooling.

The reason I dislike them:

Put a VW type1 in the car if you want the upright fan shroud like that one... otherwise run the 911 fan/alt with the 5 blade setup.

Oh.. how do they run colling air over the oil cooler... it appears you must relocate the cooler (as you do with the 911 setup.

B
Britain Smith
I think that I am going to run the 914 fan shroud housing with the 912E sheetmetal.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
I wish you would stop thinking about it and commit to one direction. Save your money.

B
Britain Smith
What do you mean commit to one direction...this is the way that I decided to go a while a go. I want power with resonable appearance.

-Britain
kafermeister
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 23 2003, 09:50 PM)
Oh.. how do they run colling air over the oil cooler... it appears you must relocate the cooler (as you do with the 911 setup.

Yep, the 5-blade (74-76 911S?) fan would probably do the trick for the small engines. I would imagine 5-blade fans are cheap/throw-away at swap meets out west. One thing I've noticed is that the cost for the 911 conversion bits are nearly $1k. In kit form anyway. I think one reason the Beetle guys lean toward the Type-1 fan is enigne lid clearance. The 911 style fan shroud requires machine on the oil filler tower to lower the fan, and allow it to clear the stock lid on a Beetle. Not much help for Mike on his 356 though.

As for the oil cooler. The only kit where I was able to see the oil cooler setup was....ahem.. different. This was one of those fiberglass shrouds. They ran oil lines from the stock oil cooler location (IIRC) to the relocated cooler which now resides in the back of the fan shroud ala post-1970 Type-1 fassion. It literally looked like the spot welds were drilled out of the stock 71-up Type-1 shroud to get the oil cooler air runner removed. With the kit I saw, the cooler was actually mounted to the fan shroud itself, not the block. Still works I guess. Haven't talked to anybody who has had comments about it.

Rick
Dave Cawdrey
Zois,

The guy who built my bug motor has a mold for the shroud. I'll check tomorrow if he has one around.

As for the 5 blade, I dont remember them being cheap confused24.gif I'll ask him.
kafermeister
You're probably right on the current price of 5-blade fans. I do know that in my area (mid-west) they were throw-away about 10-15 years ago.

Rick
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. they where known to cook 2.7 engines. They are cheap here also.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Zois @ Apr 23 2003, 05:38 PM)
So....what is everyone using for headers?

Mike,

IPB Image

I make this 912E header in two sizes, 1 5/8" and 1 3/4". It's just like my 914 header only rearranged for rear engine application. I am currently working on a 356 T4 Conversion header for a Carrera Panamericana car, which is based on the Beetle header. After that I begin work on a 2" primary header, based on the 912E version, for a VW fastback that will have the new LN Engineering heads.

Actually I have been selling more of the Beetle conversion headers lately than the 914 or 912E versions. Seems like the Porsche guys are unwilling to spend the $$ for performance, but the VW guys are, LOL.

Chris Foley
www.tangerineracing.com
fuch toy
OK....how much? Lemme know....

356@cox.net
Bleyseng
How do you adjust the valves using that header? pull the motor?
Geoff
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 24 2003, 06:58 AM)
How do you adjust the valves using that header? pull the motor?
Geoff

laugh.gif
I bet it's no harder than doing it in a 914 with heat exchangers.
Besides, the header comes off very easily if one wants full access.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.