Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woohoo! I got me one of them 914's!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phantom914
I thought it would not happen for another year or two, but I got a surprise blessing to spend $X,000 on a 914. When I first mentioned getting a 914 to my wife some time back, she asked "is that one of those boxy things?" I didn't know if I could convince her that buying an ugly car (her opinion) was a good idea, but then I realized that I convinced her that marrying me was a good idea, so I thought there was a great chance. After warming her up over the last few months with pictures of nicely done 914's, she sort of thought they were nice. Now that we got it, she loves it. She thinks it's cute. Now if she could just think the same of me.

OK enough blabbing. Here's the car:

Advertised as a "1974 Porsche 914 hard top convertible one owner"

edited price to protect the innocent wink.gif
phantom914
Technically, the girl selling it was the second owner. He grandfather passed it on to her so close enough. It was supposedly garaged practically all its life. From the condition, I believe it.

Here's the odometer. It has not turned over. I have service records to prove it.
Powaqqatsi
Most excellent beerchug.gif
phantom914
original owner's manual and key's:
phantom914
Window sticker:
phantom914
Dealer installed stuff:
phantom914
Check the last picture. This is what $300 got you back in 1974.

Original 8-Track player:
phantom914
I thought this was interesting:

The original paint label incorrectly calls the color Saturn Yellow, but the L99A paint code is correct for Delphi Green Metallic.

Receipts show that the car was re-sprayed in the original color back in '86.
phantom914
Rear trunk:
phantom914
Front trunk:
phantom914
Gas tank and stuff:
phantom914
Tranny oil after three nights of parking and about 60 miles of driving. Engine hasn't leaked since Ihave had it:

By the way, that is not my foot, it is the photographer's. He is too embarrassed to have his identity revealed, so I will just reveal the first four letters of his screen name: T-O-N-Y:
vortrex
great looking car, seems that you got it at a excellent price too.
double-a
dude, nice car! very good score. once your girl drives it, there will be no going back, she'll be hooked. i'm lucky in that my wife loves the 914, and now she wants one of her own (green she says).

~a
phantom914
Since I got the car, I have been too busy to spend much time on the club site (ironic ain't it?). The only concerning things about the car are 4th gear which doesn't really feel like it "clicks" into gear and pops out. I was told that it could be a linkage problem but replacing the bushings didn't help, although it improve the shifting tremendously. Before the bushings, the gear shift behaved as some sort of random gear generator. The ball cup bushing was almost gone.

Also, the hell hole wasn't as pristine as the rest of the car might suggest. Never having owned (or even driven ) a 914 before three weeks ago, nothing prepared me for the horror known as the hell hole. I wasn't expecting so much rust, especially since the battery tray appeared to be in good shape. Didn't get through to the long's though.

Anyway, I won't bore you any more (for now any way).

I am really happy with the car and look forward to the next 914 event.
phantom914
QUOTE(vortrex @ Jul 6 2004, 12:19 PM)
great looking car, seems that you got it at a excellent price too.

Thanks. I didn't know what I was doing to tell you the truth. I started looking on a Tuesday and got a car on Saturday. A friend (the anonymous photographer) went with me to look at a car advertised on this board and pointed out some areas. Based on what he thought that car was worth, I judged this car on that.

Andrew
phantom914
QUOTE(double-a @ Jul 6 2004, 12:23 PM)
dude, nice car! very good score. once your girl drives it, there will be no going back, she'll be hooked. i'm lucky in that my wife loves the 914, and now she wants one of her own (green she says).

~a

She already loves it. I don't think she was really convinced until after we got it home, but she doesn't stop commenting on how "cute" it is now.

Andrew
JeffBowlsby
Interesting car! It all looks original...but its the first 74 I have seen with the 75-76 style plastic gas tank filler cap and expansion tank.

Where is that 'Two-coat' sticker located?
GaroldShaffer
Nice find. Post a pic or two of the hell hole rust. Don't worry about it, just another $4k and everything should be fine. wacko.gif

I'm kidding laugh.gif beerchug.gif

Enjoy your new ride!
phantom914
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jul 6 2004, 12:40 PM)
Interesting car! It all looks original...but its the first 74 I have seen with the 75-76 style plastic gas tank filler cap and expansion tank.

Where is that 'Two-coat' sticker located?

It is on the driver's side door jamb, above the top hinge. The code matches the one on the metal tag, which is lower on the door jamb.

The car was built in 06/74. VIN 4742918945

Andrew
Christie
Hey, verry nice car. smilie_pokal.gif

Wish you and you're wife a lot of save miles.
And you see 'wife's are not so bad'. biggrin.gif
We hope to have are car running next year.

Cheers Christie
Chris H.
Really cool car! Love the documentation you have on it. That was a steal!

By the way the 1-2-3-4 buttons on that "stereo" seem to indicate it is an 8-track player. Now that is a period piece!

4742921370 is the last '74 made, that one is late in the run for sure.
watsonrx13
Congrats on the car. smilie_pokal.gif

The car looks great and I'm certain you will find many things that will need 'tweeking' and/or fixing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 914ism..
Jenny
Not too shabby... you were only a 914 groupie for a couple months before getting your own. clap56.gif Congrats on your new acquisition! Happy trails to you and wifey!!

Jen
TonyAKAVW
So I admit it, I'm the photographer...

Anyway, Andrew is the third victim of mine, in my quest to spread the 914 disease. Jeff (jkeyzer) and Royce (bondo) are the other two. I'm working on a neighbor down the street. happy11.gif

While I didn't drive this car I got a ride in it and having never been in a 2.0 before, I could really tell the difference in acceleration. Another thing I noticed about this car is that the instant it fires up it idles perfectly. I just need to convince him that he needs to sell me the engine and do this V6 conversion as soon as possible!!

-Tony
mightyohm
That is a really nice looking car. I hope the hell hole doesn't turn out to be a big deal.

Check your CV bolts when you get a chance. ohmy.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice car. Originals with all the papers are getting harder to find. I know you'll have a great time for years to come. Congrats!!!
Joe Bob
So...the dealer charged Gramps for mag wheels and they gave him Rivieras?

I hope they didn't pull off Fuchs alloys and then "sell" him the Rivs.....heard a lot of dealers pull that....they even stole the spares and sold them in the parts department....

I assume that's a 2.0? Does it have sway bars and center console?
vortrex
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jul 6 2004, 01:42 PM)
I just need to convince him that he needs to sell me the engine and do this V6 conversion as soon as possible!!

ahh I hope this was a joke and he's not thinking of putting some strange V6 in there!
aircooledboy
QUOTE(phantom914 @ Jul 6 2004, 02:26 PM)
Before the bushings, the gear shift behaved as some sort of random gear generator.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif chairfall.gif

My new favorite funny 914 related catch phrase. From now on, the gear shift in my side shifter shall only be referred to as "the RGG" lol2.gif
phantom914
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 6 2004, 03:11 PM)
So...the dealer charged Gramps for mag wheels and they gave him Rivieras?

I hope they didn't pull off Fuchs alloys and then "sell" him the Rivs.....heard a lot of dealers pull that....they even stole the spares and sold them in the parts department....

I assume that's a 2.0? Does it have sway bars and center console?

Nope. No center console or sway bars sad.gif . But, it's got an 8-Track! w00t.gif

Yes, it's a 2.0.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.