Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 OEM Muffler color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
pete000
Getting ready to refinish my stock muffler on my 74 1.8

What color paint were they from the factory?

I have seen grey and some in black. Mine is black, but not sure if it has been repainted.

Dansk replacements are grey.

dcheek
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 14 2011, 09:53 PM) *

I have seen grey and some in black. Mine is black, but not sure if it has been repainted.

My '76 was a light grey when new. I think they were all light grey because the motors were modified type 4 VW engines that used Leistrick (spelling) mufflers. I use VHT spray paint (Very High Temperature) that lasts about a year or so. Your other option is to have it ceramic coated in grey. That finish will last the life of the muffler. Of course this option is considerably more expensive, say $150 to $200.

Here's a picture of what mine looks like:
Click to view attachment

Dave
jonferns
My NOS 1.8 Leistritz (sp?) muffler is a light gray, but it appears to be bare (unpainted).
Tom_T
Pretty much all P-car exhausts since the 356s were that light grey. Wurth used to sell it & the 356er's NLA website used to carry it, but they've pulled that color for some reason. So Dave's VHT grey is the next best available for now.

Stock mufflers were supplied by Leistritz, Bischoff & maybe others. Dansk supplies OES factory spec types today for the 914s & other P-cars, & their grey is correct color-wise.
Cap'n Krusty
Welding supply stores sell a cold galvanizing spray paint that's very close to being EXACTLY the correct gray.
RFoulds
Mine is grey, but I feel it is too low, showing a little too far below the valance. WHat do you think?

IPB Image
pete000
Looks just like mine, but mine was painted black. I am going to be refinishing it back to gray. It hangs down just like in you pictures.
oakpark
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 11 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Mine is grey, but I feel it is too low, showing a little too far below the valance. WHat do you think?

IPB Image

Your muffler exposure is the same as mine. I'm now running a Dansk, which is also light grey.

Nice looking car
tod914
goofy shit errased wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
Another option is Techline Titanium, a ceramic coating. You can have a shop do it or DIY.
tod914
That turned out really nice Jeff.
tod914
x
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 15 2011, 12:53 AM) *

Light grey. No goofy stuff...just high temp gray paint.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.