Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
So... Last night when I went outside to put the top on the 914 I notice a fuel smell, so I get down on the ground and try to smell and I'm pretty sure I can smell gas. After I get up I realise there is a gas can sitting next to the car, and since I was drunk I decided that was probably it.

This morning I go to check it out again, and I can see some fuel coming from the under the tank area. Having just pulled the tank to relocate the fuel pump underneath it I assumed that the new connections are leaking.
I pull the tank and the new connections and fuel lines look fine, but the connections that come out of the tank are wet.
IPB Image

Then I notice a wet spot on the side of the tank, and you can see where it has been running down and wetting the connections on the bottom of the tank.
IPB Image
IPB Image

It looks like the tank is probably leaking, now likely is this to happen?
Is there a chance that it was coming from the little braided tube that runs from the filler neck to the flat metal thingy on top of the tank, it was hanging loose.

What do I do now?
Do I need a new tank or should I get some sealant for the inside of the tank.
Mike Bellis
Get the tank welded
SLITS
New aluminum crush washers and tighten them.

or

try tightening them a tad more.
simonr
Looks to me like the fittings are leaking and running down. pull the tank and change the inside tank sock filter. redo the fittings and give the tank a go over . I would buy a new one rather than try to patch up an old one . 30 year old tanks are full of sh@#$ anyway
ripper911
So I probably wont be driving it to work tomorrow. headbang.gif

r_towle
It looks like there is quite a bit of rust on the side of the tank..it does not look like the fittings alone are your problem.

Rich
markb
I agree with the last comment. It looks like it's leaking from the side of the tank, not the fittings. Time for a replacement tank, IMHO.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 15 2011, 11:50 AM) *
I agree with the last comment. It looks like it's leaking from the side of the tank, not the fittings. Time for a replacement tank, IMHO.

agree.gif

Looks like the side is rusted through. Pretty common where the tank sits on the felt pads. They soak up water and the tank will start to rust there.
If it's just pin holes, it can be welded up. If there's a whole patch that is pitted, get a new tank.

shades.gif
ripper911
Can I put some type of glue over the area until this weekend, or is that not a good idea? idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 15 2011, 12:02 PM) *

Can I put some type of glue over the area until this weekend, or is that not a good idea? idea.gif

You could try JB weld or epoxy for a temp patch. As long as you get the area clean, it should stick and last for a while.

smile.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 15 2011, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 15 2011, 12:02 PM) *

You could try JB weld or epoxy for a temp patch. As long as you get the area clean, it should stick and last for a while.

smile.gif

I pulled my tank and had a patch rusted like that, I wire wheeled it and welded the small hole then covered the whole area with JB weld!
ripper911
I don't have a welder, I might be able to find some JB weld.
SLITS
JB Weld & fiberglass cloth. Clean area well, rough it up with crocus cloth, clean add layer of JB Weld. Impregnate a larger than damaged area of fiberglass cloth with JB Weld and lay it over first layer before first layer is dry.

Patch will be resistant to a nuclear attack.
Cap'n Krusty
A few words of caution about welding gas tanks. Unless you're an experienced welder, and familiar with fuel tank repairs, DON'T DO IT!!!!!! I have a friend who owned, with his brother, a welding shop, doing whatever work came in the door. They were experienced and well equipped to repair fuel tanks, and did them often. My shop is about 9 miles from their location, and I both heard and felt the blast that occurred while they were repairing a tank truck. Feel lucky? Tell your loved ones your funeral plans before you embark on this project.

Oh, and BTW, that hose doesn't look like it's the correct size to fit the tank spigot and the hard line, and those are the wrong hose clamps ....................

As for replacing your tank with another, as was suggested earlier in the thread, the newest 914 fuel tanks are a minimum of 36 years old, and you should consider that any replacement tank you buy is at least that old and may be in a condition similar to yours.

The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 15 2011, 03:32 PM) *

A few words of caution about welding gas tanks. Unless you're an experienced welder, and familiar with fuel tank repairs, DON'T DO IT!!!!!! I have a friend who owned, with his brother, a welding shop, doing whatever work came in the door. They were experienced and well equipped to repair fuel tanks, and did them often. My shop is about 9 miles from their location, and I both heard and felt the blast that occurred while they were repairing a tank truck. Feel lucky? Tell your loved ones your funeral plans before you embark on this project.

Oh, and BTW, that hose doesn't look like it's the correct size to fit the tank spigot and the hard line, and those are the wrong hose clamps ....................

As for replacing your tank with another, as was suggested earlier in the thread, the newest 914 fuel tanks are a minimum of 36 years old, and you should consider that any replacement tank you buy is at least that old and may be in a condition similar to yours.

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Welding on a gas or oil tanks is to be avoided. Very dangerous. Patch the tank for now as Slits suggested and look for another one. The rusted because they would rub at a couple of contact points. Water made thing worse. There are plenty of rust free ones around and the price should be fairly low.
904svo
Check with Al he should have a fuel tank
ripper911
Alright, I've got everything I need I think.
3 packages of JB weld
1 fiberglass cloth
1 bottle of evan williams

I'm going to try to patch it, wish me luck.

any tips?
underthetire
Ya, not sure the Evan Williams is a good choice to clean the tank with. Might try some Don Julio beer3.gif
ripper911
I've got a little bit of 100anos, and a couple oz of absinthe, would that work?

Al has come up with a tank for me, I might just wait for it. I can drive a work van. There's only a couple more hours of good sunlight anyhow.

Do I start working, or start drinking?

EDIT: either way, I just downed a glass of the 100 proof evan williams, would anybody be interested in a patched tank? I'm very good at restorative art.

Post edit edit: post count 666 happy11.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 16 2011, 03:44 PM) *

I've got a little bit of 100anos, and a couple oz of absinthe, would that work?

Al has come up with a tank for me, I might just wait for it. I can drive a work van. There's only a couple more hours of good sunlight anyhow.

Do I start working, or start drinking?

Wait for the tank. JB weld takes a long time to cure anyway. Might as well cure your liver instead.
stugray
I have used JB weld to fix my Ghia tank right at the fitting.
Taking it out once & putting back in cracked the slightly rusted area to failure. I cleaned the area very well (on the outside only), coated with JB, then came back and added "ribs" of JB weld for strength.

I am also a welder.
I was always told to orient any gas tank weld side up, then fill the tank with water.
This forces the gas vapors out.
The vapors combined with the large volume of air (oxygen) are what causes the explosion.

I also have TWO spare tanks that I do not need.
If you are interested in paying barely more than shipping, I would inspect them and send pictures.

Stu
ripper911
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 16 2011, 06:51 PM) *

I have used JB weld to fix my Ghia tank right at the fitting.
Taking it out once & putting back in cracked the slightly rusted area to failure. I cleaned the area very well (on the outside only), coated with JB, then came back and added "ribs" of JB weld for strength.

I am also a welder.
I was always told to orient any gas tank weld side up, then fill the tank with water.
This forces the gas vapors out.
The vapors combined with the large volume of air (oxygen) are what causes the explosion.

I also have TWO spare tanks that I do not need.
If you are interested in paying barely more than shipping, I would inspect them and send pictures.

Stu

Thank you, but I have one waiting for me within driving distance.

On a side note here, I want to thank Al Meredith for all of the help over the past couple of months. He has been a great asset to me and my 914 addiction. beerchug.gif KMA.gif
Drums66
blowup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.