Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All you race car builders....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
quadracerx
Hey Guys...This is a re-post from the "Garage Forum" Hope its ok?

Some 914 race car style questions:

Anyone know who carries Kirkey Seats in the PNW-Seattle area (or something similar)? Which style fits best?

For those of you who have roll cages and have changed the pedals.....
Did you use "swing style" to mount to the crossbar of the cage or firewall for brake and clutch and or throttle? Im trying to get away from floor mounted if possible? Not opposed to a hyd. clutch either....using stock 914 transaxle....

Thanks for your input....

Pictures always help if anyone has some.....

Steve

Randal
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Aug 15 2011, 08:39 PM) *

Hey Guys...This is a re-post from the "Garage Forum" Hope its ok?

Some 914 race car style questions:

Anyone know who carries Kirkey Seats in the PNW-Seattle area (or something similar)? Which style fits best?

For those of you who have roll cages and have changed the pedals.....
Did you use "swing style" to mount to the crossbar of the cage or firewall for brake and clutch and or throttle? Im trying to get away from floor mounted if possible? Not opposed to a hyd. clutch either....using stock 914 transaxle....

Thanks for your input....

Pictures always help if anyone has some.....

Steve

Bought my Kirkey seat from Summit. No drama.
neilca
I bought a Kirkey road race seat from Behrents. They had the lowest price. I will have to get some pictures.

The pedals are Wilwood swing from the top with the cylinders behind the pedals. I had to make a special mount. I will try to get pics of that this weekend also.
quadracerx
Thanks everyone...cant wait to see the photos..

Steve
neilca
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here are the pictures. The master cylinders are Howe G3. They are neat because the seal doesn't drag across the hole in the cylinder wearing out the seal. BTW the whole pedal assembly is removed with just the four bolts. The lines are extra long so the assembly can be raised and emptied without a big mess.
grantsfo
dang you must be tall because thats exactly how I mounted my Kirkey!
neilca
No actually I am short and fat! (5"8", 250#) I do sit very low in the car. I think my dash is further aft than stock, that may be throwing you.
quadracerx
Well Done....thanks for the pics...I know know that it should be doable...Not sure about the throttle pedal and cable/linkage but I think based on your pics that the "swing style pedals" for clutch and brake will free up floor space. I have a frame outrigger that is in the footbox area that I really cant move...so this might solve it...

What did you do for a slave cyl. for the clutch?

Thanks again...great pics

Steve
stownsen914
Neil's throttle linkage is necessarily different since his car is right hand drive. I like it.

I have a swing mount brake pedal similar to Neil's. I left the clutch and throttle on the floor, more or less like stock. I also move my whole pedal box about 10-12" forward in an attempt to improve weight distribution. I had to move the front swaybar to make room for this.

Scott
quadracerx
Scott...

Do you have any pics of your setup?

Thanks,

Steve
ChrisFoley
Tilton pedal assembly.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
neilca
The clutch slave is a Wilwood pull cylinder. I used one of the diff cover plate bolts to react the load. I will have to get a picture of this cause it is important that you spread the load cause the stud cannot take the bending stress.

Chris, great minds think alike. I mounted my oil cooler just like yours. The only difference is I raised my fuel cell so the incoming air would go underneath it. I also added an additional cowl grill to let the air out. I will get some pictures of that too.
neilca
Scott,

You are correct. In previous formula and sportsracers I have had, the throttle cables were always binding. In this car the cable is absolutely straight.
neilca
First here is a picture of the oil cooler set up. I love having the cooler mounted high and out of the way of danger. BTW I do not think this will work on a car with a windshield. I think the flow may reverse, however I can also see where this may relieve the low pressure commonly found on the cowl making the air flow across the windshield laminer. Some tuft testing would be in order.

Click to view attachment

The Wilwood pull cylinder is below the CV. I think you can see the hookups. The cylinder had to be spaced away from the case for alignment. I used a longer stud in the case and I made a nut that worked as a spacer. This moves the shear point of the assembly to the end of the nut thus reducing the torque arm. The nut very nicely spreads the load into the case. I run a double disc AP 7.25 clutch in the car and have had no issues in 2 years.

Click to view attachment

BTW I am not missing a CV bolt. That is where the roll pin is located and I have a 911 boot on it.
Brett W
How are you running that car legally in SCCA with it being a right drive car?
neilca
Good question Brett,

The car is only legal in the SPU (Special Production Under 2.5 liters) class. It is a regional class only and it has one rule, it has to be under 2.5 liters. It makes for some interesting fields of Pro challenge cars, legends cars, home builts and some GT3 cars with big wings. The lap times are also very wide spread.
Brett W
Yup very familiar with SPU. Great class. The nice thing with it, is you don't get the pleasure of be bashed around by the clowns driving retired stock cars in SPO. So all of our nice small cars don't get run over by those guys.
Randal
QUOTE(neilca @ Aug 19 2011, 06:46 AM) *

First here is a picture of the oil cooler set up. I love having the cooler mounted high and out of the way of danger. BTW I do not think this will work on a car with a windshield. I think the flow may reverse, however I can also see where this may relieve the low pressure commonly found on the cowl making the air flow across the windshield laminer. Some tuft testing would be in order.

Click to view attachment

The Wilwood pull cylinder is below the CV. I think you can see the hookups. The cylinder had to be spaced away from the case for alignment. I used a longer stud in the case and I made a nut that worked as a spacer. This moves the shear point of the assembly to the end of the nut thus reducing the torque arm. The nut very nicely spreads the load into the case. I run a double disc AP 7.25 clutch in the car and have had no issues in 2 years.

Click to view attachment

BTW I am not missing a CV bolt. That is where the roll pin is located and I have a 911 boot on it.

Nice setup and great workmanship. Someone knows how to work with aluminum!Looks like a fun car to drive as well.

Question: Just wondering how you get any airflow over the cooler mounted where it is. Do you have airflow coming in somewhere, other than the vent.

BTW I ran SPU at the Cascade Lakes Hill Climb and like you said in a later post there were some interesting cars. Nice finding a class where you can compete without any major disadvantages. The Cascade event was SCCA sanctioned, so wondering why more SCCA events don't offer the SPU class?
neilca
Randal,

The air comes in the front air dam like all other 914's (that part is not shown shown in the picturres) then under the fuel cell. The air enters from below the cooler, moves upward and out the cowl.

Thanks for the compliment. It took me 12 years to build this car, time and money being what it is, scarce.
Randal
QUOTE(neilca @ Aug 23 2011, 06:08 PM) *

Randal,

The air comes in the front air dam like all other 914's (that part is not shown shown in the picturres) then under the fuel cell. The air enters from below the cooler, moves upward and out the cowl.

Thanks for the compliment. It took me 12 years to build this car, time and money being what it is, scarce.

Ducting the air from under the fuel cell to the oil cooler was done so clean we can't even see it. Have any progress pictures of that part of the build? If not how about a shot from the drivers side looking down below the cooler.

Also would love to hear about your motor.

Downunderman
This is how I did mine.
neilca
I like the pedals, looks like a formula car. I was trying to get my head aound the clutch cylinder. It looks like a push cylinder and the only way to make that work is to use the 70-71 tranny for the pull type clutch. I see from the header it is a six and I think I see where the original clutch was held.

The cylinder looks like MGB/Hewland Mk9 from a FF. Am I close?
Downunderman
Correct. Pull type clutch and AP cylinder.
neilca
Downunderman,

Seems ironic, I have a right hand drive 914 in the states and you have a left hand in Oz.

Just saying.......
bam914
QUOTE(neilca @ Aug 27 2011, 04:26 PM) *

Downunderman,

Seems ironic, I have a right hand drive 914 in the states and you have a left hand in Oz.

Just saying.......

Look closer.
neilca
You are right Blake, I now see the wheel well on the right, the carpet threw me off.
neilca
Here ae some more photos of the oil cooler setup

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Heater Guy
QUOTE(neilca @ Aug 22 2011, 01:06 PM) *

Good question Brett,

The car is only legal in the SPU (Special Production Under 2.5 liters) class. It is a regional class only and it has one rule, it has to be under 2.5 liters. It makes for some interesting fields of Pro challenge cars, legends cars, home builts and some GT3 cars with big wings. The lap times are also very wide spread.

Does your region have an ITE "Improved Touring" Class?
I run ITE in San Francisco Region. It only requires an original tub.
Everything else is open.
neilca
I am not sure if they do run ITE in the southeast. Is there no rule for dispacement or supercharging?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.