Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a way to rebuild your cigarette lighter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Are there any ways to rebuild a 914 cigarette lighter? Mine has not worked for some time now. I checked the fuses and they are fine, but the lighter is non-functioning. I don't smoke, but it would be great to have it working for my new radar detector and I could also charge my phone and use the navi/GPS on there too. I did buy a used lighter here (just the plug in part) but it was in about the same shape as mine and nothing changed.

So any advice? Is there something I can do like pull it apart and clean it up, has anybody done this before? Any rebuild kits out there? Any advice would be apreciated, thank you and cheers

beerchug.gif
AndyB
Jamie I went to the FLAPS and got an acc. plug because none of my electronic devices would fit securely in the cigarette lighter. I put it on the console done low and used the wires from the lighter. The other reason is due to the loose fit my GPS plug was blowing fuzes.
Cap'n Krusty
Radio Shack carries a nice accessory socket that essentially fits in the same hole as the stock lighter, and it accommodates the plugs much better than the stock unit. If you can't find one, I'd be more than happy to help out on this end.

BTW, you can buy the lighter elements to repair yours, if that's the problem.

The Cap'n
nsr-jamie
Thanks Cap'n

I will try to find the elements...I believe that has got to be the problem and will give it a try.....so the new modern new sockets don't fit the old 914 cigarette sockets? Sounds like they are too small in diameter and come loose perhaps??

Radio shack! Wow, a name I have not heard in many years....
r_towle
European socket is larger in diamter than the US socket.
If you get just the socket, you can gut the socket that you have in there by cutting off the back portion and slipping the US sized socket right into the European sleeve.

Then all the accesories will plug in and work.
You will need to replace the male portion also cause the larger Euro lighter wont fit.

What I do is buy the US spec lighter socket and cut the back off that, then slide it into the Euro sized lighter...
This esentially sleeves the Euro lighter to the smaller diameter.
Then all the accessries work again.
You can pull out the sleeve at a later date and use the stock male lighter again.

So, you can do it either way.
If you want the replace the whole thing...I think you may need to leave the Euro outer sleeve in place or the hole in the dash will be to large to hold the US based unit....

rich
rnellums
There are two "clips" inside the lighter housing that on mine kept it from working because they weren't bent in enough to contact the lighter. you can bend them back in easily enough using a screwdriver. Other than that I would say make sure the contacts are clean. I didn't have any trouble plugging my GPS into mine.
ripper911
Are you sure you need US spec size, are you using Japanese electronics?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.