Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: 930 Caliper Resto for Renegade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Wow... talk about a difficult caliper to restore properly! And, e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e. $468 plus shipping for seals alone!

This was our first foray into the Brembo modular split calipers and here's where the nod to Steve at Renegade comes in. Steve said "take your time" in the beginning (which was nice) but, I think I took my time and then some on this build. It literally took months to just get the calipers apart.

The steel and aluminum construction make these difficult to get apart without damaging fasteners. It all but guarantees' that the pieces will be bonded together. Those M10 fasteners aren't the only concern, the pad spring plates are held in place with some M5x.8 fasteners. Brembo must have foreseen the issue as they drilled access journals into the shaft for those screws. This allows you to spray penetrant or a freeze solution into that bore.

Once the calipers were apart we had to de-anodize them and re-anodize them with the factory finish. Basically raw castings with the burs ground and trimmed anodized in black.

The fasteners would normally be yellow zinc but, this customer request was chrome. I'm an original Nazi on stuff like this and would love to see a set with the proper finish because I'm "very" happy with the way the anodizing came out.

Anyway... enjoy some pics.

Bore seals going in:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Part numbers in the casting... 930.351 for front and 352 for rear calipers. Front have 4 38mm pistons while rears have 4 30mm pistons:
Click to view attachment

The small M5x.8 screws holding the pad spring plates in:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Factory dust boot seals aka: wiper seals. $25.00 each (x16) ohmy.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pistons going in. The seals slide onto the piston from the bottom and then they get pressed in using an arbor press:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Everything get's bolted back together and torqued to spec:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Many thanks to Steve and the gang at Renegade Hybrids for allowing me to take my time and work through these.
eric9144
Beautiful work, as always! pray.gif
racerbvd
SWEET!!! I have a set for my GT Clone..
Eric_Shea
Don't you have a set of 917 calipers?
JRust
Wow! Nice calipers. I have some of those but don't see myself paying to get those rebuilt anytime soon. Holy crapola! Just under $500 for just the seals headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
I'll take them and deduct it from what you owe! biggrin.gif
laflaur
Does this mean you are ready to do 944t calipers?
racerbvd
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 17 2011, 03:35 PM) *

Don't you have a set of 917 calipers?

I did biggrin.gif
stewteral
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 16 2011, 10:50 AM) *

Wow... talk about a difficult caliper to restore properly! And, e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e. $468 plus shipping for seals alone!

This was our first foray into the Brembo modular split calipers and here's where the nod to Steve at Renegade comes in. Steve said "take your time" in the beginning (which was nice) but, I think I took my time and then some on this build. It literally took months to just get the calipers apart.

The steel and aluminum construction make these difficult to get apart without damaging fasteners. It all but guarantees' that the pieces will be bonded together. Those M10 fasteners aren't the only concern, the pad spring plates are held in place with some M5x.8 fasteners. Brembo must have foreseen the issue as they drilled access journals into the shaft for those screws. This allows you to spray penetrant or a freeze solution into that bore.

Once the calipers were apart we had to de-anodize them and re-anodize them with the factory finish. Basically raw castings with the burs ground and trimmed anodized in black.

Hi Eric,

I only have a couple issues with the Renegade brake rebuild:
1) there is nothing more simple than replacing the seals on the piston in a caliper.
2) Renegade does NOTHING in-house and from the photos, I doubt that the parts were re-anodized which requires a special hard anodyzed finish.
3) From past personal experience, I don't trust ANYTHING Renegade does....too many used car salesmen around.

I went with Wilwood calipers (4 piston for 1.25" rotors) at a current price of about $125 NEW! Then there are the rotors: they are 1.25" with internal vane cooling and around $44 ea. Wilwood is US made (in my little town of Camarillo, CA) and there is plenty of replacement parts and customer support in ENGLISH!

They have a great choice of brake pads, also at a reasonable price. I've been running my set of Wilwood for 8 year at Willow Springs Raceway with no problems at all.

You might be skeptical, as was I, about the low prices: it turns out that the 4-piston
Dynalite calipers,along with the 1.25" rotors are used in the thousands, all over the US by a number of NASCAR classes and we are lucky enough to be able to take advantage of the competiion in that market.

Summit Racing has them available every day.

Best,
Terry
Eric_Shea
Does this mean you are ready to do 944t calipers?

I have a set that we've had reanodized. Again, the same price on the seal kits apply. The problem is, you can get 944 calipers for $200.00. It's almost like they're throw away calipers. The people that buy them for that generally don't see the value in sinking another $699.00 into the calipers for a proper rebuild.

I think the best thing to do with those is simply soda blast them and re-clear coat them... Hopefully the seals aren't bad. They have the same pistons and those are virtually bulletproof. All you have to do is wipe them clean and reinstall them.

Terry... Seems like you have an axe to grind. Please don't do it in my thread. I "personally" restored these calipers and, you're correct, installing seals is something most anyone can do. To properly restore a set of 930 calipers is not for the faint of heart or, for some of the other companies out there that I've seen "butcher" these uber-cool calipers by painting them with a polymer paint. I can only imagine the stripped fasteners and improper finish techniques, which is why I do my best to "inform" others about the needs to do this properly. That's what this thread is about.

I'm familiar with the Wilwood and agree, they are a nice caliper. My caliper refinisher... The one that anodized these calipers... Anodized all of the Wilwood calipers. Regular not hard anodizing BTW. I was physically in their shop and watched the Wilwoods come out of a batch. The pistons a hard anodized and you can see the difference in the pictures above.

If you have a beef with Renegade, take it up with Scott.
jaxdream
Dadgum , those are nice , aside from the chrome treatment .
The tool for pressing in the piston , is that special only to the 930 calipers ??? Looks neat as heck . Does it keep the piston clocked correctly for the 20* angle ??

Jack
Eric_Shea
The tool for pressing in the piston , is that special only to the 930 calipers ?

Nada... most brake caliper repair kits have these. They're just various size plates. We use them to press in any piston that has the clip integrated into the wiper/dust seal. Most common? Late 914 front calipers (S-Calipers too). wink.gif
Cairo94507
Eric- Said like the true gentleman that you are.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 18 2011, 02:27 PM) *

The tool for pressing in the piston , is that special only to the 930 calipers ?

Nada... most brake caliper repair kits have these. They're just various size plates. We use them to press in any piston that has the clip integrated into the wiper/dust seal. Most common? Late 914 front calipers (S-Calipers too). wink.gif

Ahhh S'ss , part of the reason for my querry. Thanks Eric , as always your work is exemplary. Still think the modified 944T caliper is a good idea from the application prospective , just not the $$$$ angle, sad.

Thanks again....

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.