Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8x16 all around, good? bad? why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, i found this set of 8x16 alloys for cheap. perfect offset for my car.

anyone here run 8x16 on all four corners? any thoughts, experience and such you want to share?
what good street tires come in 245 x 16?

should i buy them?
idea.gif Andy
Jeroen
I'd go for it...!
Most brands have tires in 245/45/16 (or 225/50/16)
Bridgestones PO2s are nice (bit expensive though)
I've heard good things about the Toyo T1s (a little budget friendlier)
Then there are the usual suspects... Michelin Pilots, Good Years, Dunlops...

cheers,

Jeroen
Andyrew
What are they?

Just out of curiosity...

Andrew
don9146
If the offsets are the same, you would be able to rotate the wheels/tires front to back, something I cannot do with 16 x 7's front and 16 x 9's rear. Something to consider snce most high performance tires cannot be swapped left to right anymore (unidirectional). That would definitely help you extend the life of those expensive tires...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 7 2004, 02:37 PM)
What are they?
Just out of curiosity...

phone-dials with blacked out center from a 944 turbo ...

wink.gif Andy
Rusty
Didn't Mueller go the phone dial route? barf.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 8 2004, 12:00 AM)
Didn't Mueller go the phone dial route?  :barf:

dunno, but these are much less ugly because the blacked out center blends in the dial.
you can't even tell what they are from a foot away.

plus, they have a "deep dish" offset, so you actually get a shiny lip of about 3" ...

they would look fine, that's not my concern.
did i mention they're cheap as well?

rolleyes.gif Andy
McMark
If you don't take them Andy, let me know. It's the setup I'm looking for.
J P Stein
Well, lessee. Their ugly, heavy and the wrong offset. As I recall, the backset is larger than than the Fuch's 5 in( or so). If you're runnin' spacers now, you'll need bigger ones to fill the fenders.....3 in lip you say? Hummm...Check the backset.....5 in or less is gud.

Other than the above, runnin' the same size tiars is gud for an AXer....even if they are ugly & black & cheep. biggrin.gif
You are gonna get into some scrub radius problems up front, but you're young & strong...... laugh.gif

Falkens would good for tires....scuse me, tiars.
iamchappy
THe Yoko's es100's 245/45/16 fit my 8x16's very nice and are cheap, dont listen to others on the Phone dials they are good wheels, and I have had more compliments from non Porsche people on them than any wheels I have had in the past. they look great on teeners.
Tom Perso
Dude - First off....

Is that a BOV sticking out from under the rear of that car? If so, nice... smile.gif Oh, and details please.

Secondly - Minnetonka? Nice, my uncle used to live there and I had grandparents that lived in Edina. Now my sister lives in Shoreview.

Email me offline and lets talk. I might be in that area soon (sister is expecting a new one).

Later,
Tom
Mueller
The 8" Phonedial weighs 1 pound more than the same size Fuch. They come in 2 different offsets, the '86 951's have the "correct" offset. The '87 Phonedials like Ben M has on his car have the later FWD offset (~55mm instead of ~23mm)

I too had a few 944/951 owners tell me that the Phonedials looked better on my car than on thiers smile.gif
red914
Sir Andy, those phone-dials would look smokin' on your little red machine. burnout.gif if they are cheap, and you can fit 'em under your fenders, i say go for it!
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2004, 12:40 AM)
Well, lessee. Their ugly, heavy and the wrong offset. As I recall, the backset is larger than than the Fuch's 5 in( or so). If you're runnin' spacers now, you'll need bigger ones to fill the fenders.....3 in lip you say? Hummm...Check the backset.....5 in or less is gud.

Other than the above, runnin' the same size tiars is gud for an AXer....even if they are ugly & black & cheep. biggrin.gif
You are gonna get into some scrub radius problems up front, but you're young & strong...... laugh.gif

Falkens would good for tires....scuse me, tiars.

nope, perfect offset for my setup. i ain't running fuchs, so comparing those doesn't make much sense.

plus, those are going to be my street wheels, i'll go and put the falkens on my cookie cutters and run those on the track.

there's is plenty-o-room under those GT flares.
wink.gif Andy
Kerrys914
Great idea wink.gif

agree.gif I also like the look too.

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrys914/Dials.JPG

sorry for the size ;(
IPB Image

Cheers
Kerry
Mueller
7's on all four corners........my 1st one had 8's
red914
Sir Andy, every picture so far has convinced me that you should get them. they look awesome. wub.gif and only 1 lb more than fuchs. wink.gif and your other wheels are cookie cutters? those are awesome, too.

if only both types came in a 4 bolt. sad.gif
thesey914
There are some teledials that look rubbish....but the type that Iamchappy has look amazing.
Have to be from the early 944 Turbo. Are they 7+8 or 8+9?
iamchappy
Their 944 turbo's 7's and 8's.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(don9146 @ Jul 7 2004, 03:03 PM)
...most high performance tires cannot be swapped left to right anymore (unidirectional)....

true enough, but if the wear is a factor (a little too much negative camber, for instance) you can have them dismounted and swapped side-for-side every year or so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.