Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do Teeners Rust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I know Teeners rust. Is this the norm for all Porsche's or just the Teener?

Was very little primer or paint used or not used in the production of the Teener's under carriage? I have seen some rust pictures of Teeners in this forum and I am amazed how much rust they had before they were restored. I know the Hell Hole rusted because the old batteries would over flow with acid because of rain on top of the battery. I know there was a recall and a plastic cover was added.

Inquiring minds want to know!
ripper911
The factory didn't start the zinc dip rust prevention measures until 1976.
Drums66
...... welder.gif
Dave_Darling
The only problems specific to the 914 are the battery location and the jack points. Pretty much all older European and Japanese cars are known rusters. They used relatively thin sheet metal (I've heard stories of people giving themselves hernias trying to lift a 60's Cadillac door!) and nobody galvanized car bodies back then.

I've also heard rumors that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese all used recycled steel for their sheet-metal which was more prone to rust than US steel was. That may have been a myth, though.

Primer, paint, and undercoating all help resist rust, but none are perfect. All can be (and will be!) damaged in day to day use, which lets water and (most dangerously!) salt at the bare metal underneath. Galvanization resists this better, but is not immune.

The Porsche factory started partial galvanization of car bodies in 1976. Sadly for us, the 914 never received such treatment, at least not from the factory.

--DD
Cheapsnake
Alas, the poor 914 was an entry level Porsche and not a garage queen. It was frequently purchased as the primary means of transportation and rain, snow and salt all had their way with the cars while the pamperd 911's were tucked away in a nice dry garage.

We have met the enemy and he is us. (pogo)
carr914
I think it is really a situation of when they were made. Virtually every car of that generation had rust problems. Chevy Vegas rusted before they left the Factory, BMW 2002 were notarious rusters, my Dad's Torino wagon was a Rust Bucket.

Was it the quality of metal used, lack of Zinc or other rust coatings, Acid-Rain, lack of quality control, owner abuse? - probably all of the above
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I've also heard rumors that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese all used recycled steel for their sheet-metal which was more prone to rust than US steel was. That may have been a myth, though.

Not a myth. VW switched in late '72. I'm sure Porsche went that route around that time as well ...

dry.gif
Pat Garvey
I suppose (my personal supposition) is that the cars of the late 60's & early 70's used lots of recycled steel (newly foundered steel was expensive then). Recycled steel is weak and prone to early corrosion. There were no changes to this method until late '75, when galvanizing was introduced in Europe (NOT the US), but only on select cars. 914's did not benefit from this.

The 914 was a cheap Porsche. It was never intended to last 40 years. It was meant to be cheap, fun daily transportation for the short run.

Those of us who have preserved these beasts are fortunate to still have them.

I bought a triple black Chevvy Malibu, with every non-SS goodie on it in 1970. Gorgeous car. By '76, with only 80K on it, it was a rustbucket. Traded it on a Rabbit that year that was totalled shortly thereafter. It was no better then the cars prior (fun, but no better).

These old cars were designed for short-term use. They rusted...they will continue to do so.

But then, that is part of the mystique!
Pat
JRust
It's a common misconception. 914's don't actually rust. That is just one way of saying they are meant for me w00t.gif
sww914
Keep in mind that until the 50's no cars lasted 50 thousand miles. Until the 60's nothing lasted 100K. They certainly didn't expect these cars to last any 40 years. Now almost any modern car can go 250k without any major repairs.
maxwelj
My new 914/6 had rust spots on both rear wheel well beads before I had had it 6 months. it was just under the paint, not through. Granted, this was in Germany, but it was before we had any snow. The dealer repainted the rear quarters.
Scott S
Yep - here too.... my dad had a 71 914-6. Had to have the driverside front fender repainted in 75 or so as the antenna hole had bubbles litterally all the way around it. As I recall, he was getting ready to have the motor rebuilt around 1980 as well.
stugray
Another reason why the hellhole is so bad:

It's not just about rainwater running down the battery.
If the car was ever stored long-term with the battery in it, in a state that freezes......
When a Lead Acid battery goes completely dead, it is filled with mostly water (acidic water).
If it freezes, it will crack the battery housing.
Next summer it melts and all that acidic water goes where?
Right down the hellhole into the passenger Long.

I believe THAT is why some states have almost rust free cars and others are horrible.
Got latest one from AZ after being stored for over 10 years, and the hellhole, is only 'hell-ish' ;-)

Stu
charliew
I have been repairing rust in most every old car or truck I have had in the past, jeeps, scouts, chevys, vw's they all rusted, especially if left out in the weather with unprotected metal from rock chips or thin paint. The 914 battery area was not well thought out, the vw had the battery under the seat out of the weather. All battery trays rusted out on the older cars if they wern't well cared for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.