Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guys with pilot lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
During your install, did you simply just 'replace' the existing foglamps with the pilot lights? Or run the wires, switch, and fuse that came with the lamps?
underthetire
I used the stock wiring,switch etc. Ground was different and hot had to modify. Not much changes at all. I used them pretty much all the time, since my commute was a daylight safety route. Didn't have any problems till I broke one.
Black22
Used stock wiring after I tested for current flow and ground. I also used a stock switch, but modified the wiring on the headlight switch so that I could turn on the Pilots independently from the headlights. I use them all the time as daytime running lights. You can never be too visible in these little cars.
I ran the wiring but ran it to an extra Foglight Switch I put in an extra hole in my Getty dash....I wanted to be able to use them by themselves., independant of the 914 lighting.
underthetire
Ya, I did put the jwest kit in to, so I didn't have to raise the headlights.
iamchappy
I remade the socket on the original fog lights to accept the high wattage Halogen bulbs mine are now 100W.
VaccaRabite
I ran them on the existing wiring. I did the rewire trick to the headlight switch so that they work with the lights down.
Zach
ConeDodger
Stock wiring... +JWest Foglight Flash kit
sean_v8_914
they are teh only front lights on teh 10jreen
montoya 73 2.0
I used the stock wire and switch. I had installed the jwest flash mod but then removed it and re-wired to allow headlights and fogs at the same time or without headlights up.

They are also the only forward facing lights I use, really don't drive the car at night so no need to use the headlights at all for the last two years.

Where's the Cap'n, I know he is around here somwhere. Have to love him!

IBTC!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 16 2011, 10:23 PM) *

they are teh only front lights on teh 10jreen

Really?

Do you have them mounted higher up?

I tried to do that with my car, but the beam is so narrow and low that I can't see anything to either side of me. I use them with the headlights, but I don't like them w/o the broader field the headlights give.

Zach
Bruce Hinds
I don't really need fogs, so I wanted more light w the high beams and replace them with series 95 cebies with a 1 mile reflective range. They are powered off the low beam fuse, so I just switched the connector on the fuse box to the high beam side and now with the switch on when I go to high beams I get HIGH beams....
I've heard arguements that they are too low for driving lights, but I have to say I can see plenty far down the road doing 80+.... not bad.
sean_v8_914
maybe ours are different. they are brighter than teh stock sealed beams were. 10jreen is NOT a daily driver. we have no headlights, motors or any of that stuff
mounted as stock fog lts with stock wire harness
eric9144
Are you using the stock brackets or the ones that came with the Pilots or the Demick Boyden (member) bracket? I'm curious because I've heard that they don't line up quite correctly using the stock/pilot brackets...

I was going to get a batch of the Demick Boyden brackets made up and sell them @ cost so I'd have a set for myself.

Also, if you haven't already gotten them--they are only $35 on Amazon shipped vs double that from most of the vendors...
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2011, 09:49 PM) *

I ran them on the existing wiring. I did the rewire trick to the headlight switch so that they work with the lights down.
Zach

Could somebody post a quick diagram or link of this trick please?
r_towle
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 17 2011, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2011, 09:49 PM) *

Zach

Could somebody post a quick diagram or link of this trick please?

power to the fog light switch is through the headlight switch and only sees power when the headlight switch is on, and the car is running low beams (so its routed via the high beam/low beam relay also)
Both are under the dash, above the fuse box.
Follow the wires from the headlight switch to locate the high beam relay.
Pull the fuse box down...you can see all the stuff.

remove the wire from the headlight switch and relay, and run a new line to a constant power source from the driving light/fog light switch.
Fuse it, or if you want to run better bulbs, put a relay down near the fog lights and use the stock wiring to activate a new relay.
Cant recall the color, but it the same color on both ends of the wire, so pull the driving light switch and take a look.

Rich
barada
What model lights are you guys using?
Rand
Demick's article here:
http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html
eric9144
Here's Demick's light bracket build spec sheet too
Click to view attachment
eric9144
And a link to the lights we're talking about on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Performance-Li...7014&sr=1-9
RiqueMar
Yeah, same lights, only I got mine from Camp914 website a few years back....

Link here

Chris Pincetich
My Pilot light package from Camp 914 included pieces to make them fit right.
That's just one reason I ordered from them beerchug.gif

Mounted on stock wires w Jwest mod, I use them all the time as running lights and as headlights for short trips at night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.