Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tank welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwc914
Click to view attachment

hi, this is john from san jose, ca. I am trying to learn how to post pics. hope this works. welder.gif
Rand
My dad has welded a bunch of gas tanks. He would attach a hose from a car's exhaust pipe to the tank filler. As long as the tank is getting fed that exhaust it won't explode. It always freaked me out, but he never had any problems.

Now I'm curious to see your pic. (Make sure it's not too large, that's a common cause for problems attaching.)
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 16 2011, 04:22 PM) *

My dad has welded a bunch of gas tanks. He would attach a hose from a car's exhaust pipe to the tank filler. As long as the tank is getting fed that exhaust it won't explode. It always freaked me out, but he never had any problems.

Now I'm curious to see your pic. (Make sure it's not too large, that's a common cause for problems attaching.)

There's a body shop in my town that's been doing that for decades. They have a flex metal pipe, run it to the filler neck, close all the holes, and let the engine run for about a half hour. According to the owner "never had a problem, just make sure it's been dry of gas for a couple days". I've never tried it though.
Mike Bellis
You can get a tank of any noble gas (argon, helium, etc) and trickle into the tank while you seld. It will displace the oxygen, just like the exhaust gas above. No Oxygen=No Boom!
charliew
Hmmm, I have always just washed them out with a good soapy water solution then smelled inside the filler hole and they never smell like gas so I welded away.
stewteral
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Aug 16 2011, 05:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

hi, this is john from san jose, ca. I am trying to learn how to post pics. hope this works. welder.gif

.....And then there is the time tested approach of simply tossing DRY ICE in the tank and welding away. That said, I always used the Soap & Water approach with NO problems.

Best,
Terry
familienauto
You could fill it up with water.
jwc914
QUOTE(familienauto @ Aug 17 2011, 11:41 PM) *

water does not work, but I can't remember why. believe it or not if it is full of gasoline it will not explode, but is very difficult to weld that way and you will have fires outside the tank. the exhaust gas is simple and only requires a flex hose and some duct tape, most people have on hand, water has too much oxygen do nto attempt, john
SLITS
Dry Ice.
76-914
QUOTE(familienauto @ Aug 17 2011, 11:41 PM) *

True. I did on a 65 panel van. Filled it with water until I had just a small pocket of air. Ran the torch past it to ignite off any residual gas and welded it up.

EDIT: Where are my manners welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.