Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silly question; but how do you remove front bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dltalfa
Silly question; but how do I remove the front bumper on my early 914? It's a 1973 model with chrome bumpers. I'm going to replace the top rubber cap and I'm not sure how the bumper comes off.

Any help would be appreciated.
two-strokejohn
Look inside your front fender wells behind the bumper in front of the tire. there will be two bolts on each side to remove. Be sure to use some type of wd-40 etc. The bumper is heavy ... be careful.
VaccaRabite
If you car is a 75 or 76 there are two bolts under the bumper. Pull them and the bumper comes right off.
dltalfa
OK,..so the ONLY thing holding the entire front bumper and top pad to the car are just those 4 bolts inside the wheel well?

BTW,..my car is a 1973 model with the chrome bumpers.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dltalfa @ Aug 20 2011, 04:56 PM) *

OK,..so the ONLY thing holding the entire front bumper and top pad to the car are just those 4 bolts inside the wheel well?

Sorta.
If you have a spoiler or original valence, it will be held to the flange at the bottom of the fender with one or more small (6mm I think - might be 5) capscrews. Find and remove those first.
PanelBilly
The only hard part is breaking loose the rusty bolts
Ian Stott
I have a 73 with chrome bumpers as well and yes it is just those 4 bolts, support your bumper with something as it is heavy. I presoaked my bolts with liquid wrench the day before and everything came off real nice the next day, I did take the air dam off before I I took the bumper off, looking back I am not sure if I had to, take a good look under there you may just have to do the 4 bolts even if you have the spoiler/air dam.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.