Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hell hole - filled with water
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
After whasing (and flushing) my car I could fill a good large tea cup with water that had gathered in the hell hole. Guess if I did not empty it it had been sitting there for weeks, eating on my fresh paint mad.gif
Has anybody tried to make a drain (small hole) at the lowest point and how did you get to drill there (with the engine in)?

/Lars S
Elliot Cannon
I just sold a car that had drains built into the hell holes on both sides of the car. About a 1/2 inch hole was drilled in the top and bottom of the long. A piece of tubing was then welded in at the top and bottom. Worked great.
SirAndy
They came from the factory with drain holes that have small plastic plugs in them. They clog up easily and then water puddles. I always remove the plugs to let the water drain freely.

shades.gif
larss
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 17 2011, 07:29 AM) *

They came from the factory with drain holes that have small plastic plugs in them.
shades.gif

Thanks, that makes sense! My left hell hole has that plug and hole and my right has not, the right side has been re-welded by PO and they must have "forgotten" to make a new one...

/Lars S
SirAndy
QUOTE(larss @ Aug 16 2011, 10:34 PM) *
They came from the factory with drain holes that have small plastic plugs in them.
shades.gif

Thanks, that makes sense! My left hell hole has that plug and hole and my right has not, the right side has been re-welded by PO and they must have "forgotten" to make a new one...

The left side also has a large hole with a plastic plug that is higher up which is used on the /6 cars for the return oil-line to go through.

The drain holes are pretty small and can easily be missed if the hell hole is not clean as the rubber plug will clog up with dirt (they have a small slit in them).

shades.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 16 2011, 09:06 PM) *

I just sold a car that had drains built into the hell holes on both sides of the car. About a 1/2 inch hole was drilled in the top and bottom of the long. A piece of tubing was then welded in at the top and bottom. Worked great.

This is something I've thought about doing, any pics??
jimkelly
my 1975 hells - engine just removed
r_towle
QUOTE(larss @ Aug 17 2011, 01:34 AM) *

shades.gif

/Lars S

The factory drain hole still leaves about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of that area.
I typically drill a hole at the lowest point of the engine shelf, not the long and let it run out on the inside.
I added a piece of tubing to my car so it does not soak the heater tube and fuel pump which are right below the hole.

You can get a drill in from below or above with the motor in the car.

Ran the tube down below the car....let it drip out while driving.

I also clean that area yearly with a mixture of baking soda and water to stop the battery acid from doing its thing.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.