Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worth it or not ???????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914momo
About a year ago I seen a 914 sitting on the corner for sale and it was like love at first sight.So I ran to the bank as fast as i could, pulled out 2000 smackers,and bought the car before anybody else could buy it wacko.gif

Well a few months later I found this website called 914world.com,an noticed lots of people talking about rust in the battery tray area, so I went outside and took a look at my own car....Holy F*&%in shit my car was rusted all the way through to the suspension headbang.gif headbang.gif .........It looks like the right trailing arm mount busted at sometime or another, because the PO finger.gif welded some 1/4 in steel to hold it together....

I started to look a little farther and found rust everywhere,the longs,under pass seat,everywhere.........I guess my question is would this be worth fixing myself or would it be cheaper to buy a rust free tub? Here are some pics..............
914momo
BULLSHIT.........
anthony
The most economical course of action would be to buy a whole other car rather than just a tub. I say that because straightening and painting a tub is expensive and moving everything over is time consuming. Buy a nice 914 and then part this one out. You'll probably get more than your $2K back if the rest of your car is nice and you'll have a ton of spare parts that you'll need.
914momo
More bullshit
914momo
biggrin.gif +This pile of shit jus keeps getting bigger.........
914momo
How do you put more then one pic in a reply? more shit
Jeroen
wow... that's nasty!
If you like messing about and/or do a full resto, get another tub
If not, get another decent teener and part this one out. Hopefully, the parts will cover the cost of the car, so it won't be an expensive lesson.
Either way, don't bother fixing this one...

cheers,

Jeroen
914momo
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
morph
nasty nasty nasty.....
i suggest you get a new roller transfer everything or get another car and part this one out.
btw you get youre fuel pump problem fixed.is the car sagging yet ? i realize youre prob on a buget you can weld in more scab support and drive it for a year or two untill you can find a replace ment car or tub.
im local to you so if ya need any help with the car or info.give us a call.im allways happy to help a 914 owner keep his car on the road. cool.gif
lapuwali
I'd buy another whole car and treat this one as a parts car. Once you've stripped it of everything you want to keep to maintain the new one, sell the rest for whatever you can get for it.
914momo
Yup I got the fuel pump problem fixed, it was a relay. It's sagging a little bit but not much. The car has alot of nice parts,so i'm sure once I find a good roller i'll have myself a nice car...........But untill then I guess i'll drive her till she splits biggrin.gif
skline
I would start looking now though, we dont want to see you next post with this picture in it.
TonyAKAVW
I went through the very same adventure. I bought a 914 in 2001 and I even had my experienced friend take a look at it before buying. So I bought it and discovered a lot of the same rust you have. The whole seam of the firewall and floorpan was rotted away, the longitudinals had those big holes, etc. etc. I feel your pain.

Here's what I did. I drove it as long as I could, and eventually I had to drop the engine to replace the oil cooler. During this process I decided to patch up some of the rust and keep driving a bit longer. Overwhelmed by the amount of rust to fix, I decided to start over. I stripped the car of all its parts (which actually doesn't take a REALLY long time to do) and chopped up the remaining carcass and hauled it to the dump. Several months later I found an ad for a free roller. I now have this roller in my garage and I'm working on the body. It has virtually no rust, and although it needs a couple of fenders, the structural part of the body is very solid. If there's one thing having a rusted out 914 teaches you, its where to look for rust on a new car.

So a few weeks ago, the same friend from above points me to an ad for a 1970 1.7 for $1200. Turns out the guy works across the street from me and $1000 later I'm driving again. While this car isn't perfect and does have some rust, its not in bad places.

So my advice is wait a bit, look at 914 ads daily, and when you see a good deal, jump on it immediately and go look at the car. Look at a few cars before buying one, but buy the least rusty car you can find, and as complete as you can find. You really should part out this car, and trash the body. Its unsafe to drive. Imagine what would happen in an accident!

-Tony
phantom914
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jul 7 2004, 04:45 PM)
I bought a 914 in 2001 and I even had my experienced friend take a look at it before buying. So I bought it and discovered a lot of the same rust you have. The whole seam of the firewall and floorpan was rotted away, the longitudinals had those big holes, etc. etc.

So is he still your friend? biggrin.gif

Andrew
bondo

So is he still your friend?

I think so.. I am that friend smile.gif Tony drove all the way to burbank and then monterey park to look at a 914 for me on the evening of july 2nd (bad traffic day). I bought it the next day and gave him a 2.0 core for his trouble and a frozen pizza. (see my roller thread for a description of the adventure and pics) For the record, when I looked at the first 914 he bought, I knew nothing about where to look for rust on 914s. I didn't even know enough about 914s to notice that the sail panel chrome had been removed and replaced with fiberglass and bondo (the body filler, not me).
freezing14
I do not agree, with all of you, when I got mine about 4 months ago it looked like yours with the exception of the susupention console, i had to replace the inner long. bottom part, i made a replacement panel made of 1/4 steel as the replacement for the longs, changed the floor and the inner firewall and Bingo i have the stiffest 914 made, I have to admit that it was not that easy to bend and shape but it was the only thing to do the rest of the car was isn a not too bad shape a bit thin sheet here and there and this week end the car is ready for paint, the time involved is big but the final cost for the stiffest 914 is less than 100$ but around 150 hrs for the swiss cheezew fixing, if you gat an other tub or parts car, the trouble of parting the car selling piece by piece might be more trouble than the metal work welder.gif
RON S.
To quote a cliche,Been There,Done That.

I bought my car,knowing full well it was a horror story when it came to rust.
I only fixed mine,cause it was an original 6cyl. car.
Had it been a 4cyl.like the other 97% of 914s,I'd a kept on walking.
Repairing all that rust on my car,mind you i'm doing ALL work myself.Cutting,fitting,welding,grinding etc.It took a solid year.I spent about $1000.00 with Restoration Design buying every piece of resto sheetmetal they had.I also spent $1200.00 on 2 914s that I cut up to use for the sheetmetal that isn't repo'd.
Do the math,it's not worth the money,time,or effort to spend it on a 4cyl.914.
On a 914/6,yes it's worth it,cause you have some rarity.But still only so far.
For your money,there are still Lots of 914s out there that can be had for a reasonable price that won't need all that Rustoration.

Ron
tat2dphreak
I'm sorry to say, that car's good days are over... sad.gif I agree... get a better car, use this one for parts/part it out... better to find out now...
Dave Bell
Hmm... reminds of the last topic I posted on...

If you like welding and are decent at it... you got a project... if you don't/aren't.... cut the car up and part it out... Stripping the car may take a day or so, depending on how fast you are and what you call "a day". Cutting it up will take a day or less with a sawzall... longer if you are trying to save particular pieces... shorter if you hold a sawzall party.

The bracing the guy put on the suspension ear looked O.K. to me in that single photo... might be stiffer than the original if he did it right, although he could have at least cleaned it up and painted over it instead of letting it rust again. Other photos show need for some major rust repair.

You are on the west coast. Call somebody in the bay area or LA Area... have them find you a roller with less rust and then trailer it back up to Oregon.

The obvious guys that spend time locating cars for others are:

Brad in the Bay area
Mike Z in the Santa Barbara
Steve Malm in LA

I am sure there are others on this list as well, I just don't send enough time on the list to know them.

- Dave
914momo
Alright........I just found a roller right down the street from me. The guy wants 175 bucks biggrin.gif ,but it has the big ol rubber bumpers.Can you put the all steel bumpers from a 72 on a 74? It has no moter but does come with a side shift trany and has black interior thats in pretty good shape........

It doesn't seem like it has much rust in the battery tray area, but I looked on the other side and there was rust on the corner shelf area. Im heading out the door to go take some pics,i'll have them posted in an hour or so..............
anthony
You can install the earlier bumpers. How would using a later chassis affect smog requirements in your area?
914momo
I live in a rural area so there is no smog requirements biggrin.gif
914momo
Here are some pics,there not he best shots but there the best shots I could get without tearing the car apart right there in his driveway.........I think i can get him down to a 100 bucks. does anyone think it's worth it?
914momo
more
914momo
more
914momo
more
914momo
I take that back the interior is shot the only good peice is the backpad............
morph
Looks like youre in business
smilie_pokal.gif look at it really good
dont make the same mistake twice
biggrin.gif
like i said if ya need help give us a call
got a way to tow it home
and from what i see its worth it
100/150 you get it for that price youre doing allright
914momo
driver side shelf
914momo
more
914momo
Yup got a car trailer waiting to go pick it up right now, if I get the 914 club approval biggrin.gif

DRIVER FLOOR
914momo
frint trunk
morph
if ya want i can come take a look at it?i see rust but cant tell how bad it is
914momo
rear trunk
914momo
side shift
914momo
under batt
914momo
under car
914momo
under front trunk carpet
914momo
odd weld
914momo
Morph I hit all the rusted areas pretty hard,and it seems like it is mostly surface rust.........Although Im sure it is going to need an outer long on the pass side,because when the seller was looking away I pryed up the rocker a little bit and noticed the long was rusted pretty bad. I can weld a new long on myself........
914momo
Morph you don't need to drive all the way out here. I think for a 100 bucks it will be a good deal either way................
914momo
WOAH these opinions are just flying in, I cant read them fast enough........

...........Come on guys OPINIONS please..............
bondo
Looks like repairable rust to me.. but take a close look at the sail panel rust.. sometimes those rust from the inside out, especially right above the door handle. It's really hard to get that fixed right without it rusting again, if not where it was repaired, then right next to it. Can ruin a new paint job in a year if you don't keep it garaged. All in all, certainly worth $100.
Dave Bell
$100... I paid $75 for a side shift tranny from a junk yard a few years ago... probably cost $100 now. It is real hard to go wrong for $100.
boxstr
Buy it and add it to your collection.
CCLINTHE$100SPECIAL
nebreitling
it's a no brainer for $100, though the chassis looks pretty rotten to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.