Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shielding Gas for Solid wire MIG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budk
So i have some patching to do on my Bumblebee.

What gas is BEST for thin sheet metal repair using solid wire, probably .023 ?

My neighbor suggested using 92/8 but he is used to welding heavier stuff. I want to hear it from the experts. 92/8 or 75/25 or ???

I'm not looking for an all-around best good for everything gas as I am willing to have different tanks for different uses.

Let's hear it.

Thanks!
jaxdream
I've been using Argon 75% / CO2 25% with good results , .23 wire. Welder is a Lincoln 130T 220 v turned down to it's lowest setting , about a a 15 ft Grd lead with about a 30 ft extention cord made from a coil of house wiring of a 10 2 grded
that helps get the juice down to the welder so as to not burn through easily welder.gif .
YMMV, my $ .02....

Jack
Andyrew
75/25. I have tried others, including the trimix's. Nothing beats 75/25
Mike Bellis
75/25, weld small sections at a time. No more than 1 inch and move to the other side. Do not weld a continuous bead or you will warp it and burn through.
budk
Thanks to all.... 75/25 is what I thought as well. I know to do small sections at a time. Time to get some scrap and start practicing! beerchug.gif
jeffdon
Concur on the gas blend. I got a 110 volt set up, and its fine for body work. And as to the technique, a Cambodian body shop owner my dad knows describes it as "Like chicken pecking" rather than continuous weld.
dlestep
( 75% Argon- 25% CO2 )
Argon rises, which is helpful when you're on your back, but if you are working in
something like an upsidedown bucket, you don't want to breathe it.

...without penetration, you ain't fuckin' or weldin'
HAM Inc
Argon 75% / CO2 25%

That's the stuff to use. The welding supply shops call it "Gold Gas"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.