Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eric Shea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
on these things/idea?

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8.html

Rich
jcd914
The concept is good and the few I have seen (have a couple samples somewhere) were good quality. They were originally developed for SBC header bolts on sprint cars.
I believe they are manufactured in the SF bay area.

Jim

Eric_Shea
got an opinion

Nada... don't know anything about them. Concept looks nice though.
Cap'n Krusty
From the website: "There have been multiple reports of CV bolts failing or losing tension on the 914, 924 and 944, particularly for track use. The OEM units are designed as a stretch bolt, and must be replaced after each use. In addition, CV grease in the threads of the stub axles may contribute to the problem."

Pretty much bullsh*t. They're NOT stretch bolts, nor were they designed to be. They do not need to be replaced after each use (although it doesn't hurt). It's been pretty well established that the paper composite gasket used in 914s is a contributing factor (as it doesn't always crush properly, causing the bolts to loosen over time) and the failure to use and properly orient the washers is right up there, too. I don't see grease in the threads as an issue, either. VW FWD cars use the same bolts, a different style gasket, and the same washers, and they run 180 HP and more through the axles without bolt failure of loosening. There are some pretty rowdy GTi drivers out there ..................

Using this product certainly couldn't hurt, but $106 is a LOT of money for something that could be pretty much solved with a set of stock bolts, some new washers, and a little care in the installation process. If you're afraid of the gasket issue, use a bead of silicone caulk in its place ...................

The Cap'n
iamchappy
I use the safety wire bolts, i saw these washers mentioned n the Bird board.
nord-lock
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0162564
scotty b
blink.gif Oh never mind unsure.gif I thought you wanted our opinions on Eric Shea. Move on, nothing to read here
wingnut86
I've got a set assembled with some of Eric's Type 1 CV upgrade kits.

Non-running currently. They'll be tied to a 1.7 on a budget and a solid side shift 901with new dog teeth, sliders and 1st gear set/aluminum intermediate plate and new 6 spring and pressure plate.

Should I add Nitrous and test it coming out of 1st for everyone here?
lol-2.gif av-943.gif

NOT!
monkeyboy
Their header bolts are great. It may be a bit of overkill in this application, but I would wager that they would do the job just fine.
Bartlett 914
Another factor on loosening of CV joints is the flatness of the output shaft. My joints came loose a couple of times. I measured the output flange and found it was 5 to 10 thousandths out. The threaded holes can get pulled away from the rest of the flange. This probably happens when the car is operated with the joints loose. From this point on, the bolts will work loose again no matter how tight you make them. I ground mine square (probably could be done on a lathe). It has been 3 years without problems.
matthepcat
I think this is a fantastic idea. Always wondered why no one had made them before.

They work great on headers.
charliew
I've used them on headers for several years, they finally get kinda rusty though.
wingnut86
It's important to note that I did this on mine due to discovering that the PO had used old bolts, no crescent washers and half the normal washers were nonexistent. I just couldn't crawl everywhere when I bought it.

Oh, and my 11 year old daughter was in the car with me for the 145 mile drive home.

That was the final straw... mad.gif
sixnotfour
thought you wanted our opinions on Eric Shea

He is a blank-d-blank-d-blank-d-blank.......
...........there you you go an opinion about eric shea beer3.gif
ConeDodger
I have a set. They cost much less than that though.
r_towle
seemed like an interesting alternative and I know that Eric does real testing and checks all the specs on the bolts very thoroughly, so I figured he may have already formed an engineering level opinion on these.

Safety wire is a PITA for a normal car.
I am sure I could easily loose many of the clips that go with this system...lol
Looks like a McMaster Carr type fastener with a slight modification...not sure.

I use the stock bolts and new washers, but I like to see new ideas and new solutions to old problems.
It may be a better way to go over time...dunno.

The stretch bolt claim is B.S....that is marketing.
The fastener system is really better IMHO, but that is why I asked.
Rich
matthepcat
Is there something unique with the 914 that creates the loose cv bolt problem? My buddies that have 944's and 911's don't use anything special and have no issues. Just torque them correctly and go.
jaxdream
My first experience with these was in the early 80's , they came out with this setup as an answer to the single bolt that held the exhaust to the head of a Harley Shovel head , worked great!!! But for a rotating assembley confused24.gif , I wouldn't use them for fear of the clip being flung off during rotation. Schonor ( spelling ) washers and / or safety wired probably the most secure one would need .
My $.02....

Jack
smontanaro
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Aug 18 2011, 09:36 AM) *
But for a rotating assembley confused24.gif , I wouldn't use them for fear of the clip being flung off during rotation.

Hmmm... At 60mph Google tells me you are traveling at 88 ft/s. If the diameter of a tire
is about two feet (just a guess), then you'd travel 6.28 feet per revolution, which is 14 revs/s or about 841 rpm. I would hope the little clips wouldn't fly off at that rotational speed. The linear velocity of the clips wouldn't be all that high either, since they are very close to the axis of rotation.

Did I muff the math?

S
Randal
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 17 2011, 06:58 PM) *

thought you wanted our opinions on Eric Shea

He is a blank-d-blank-d-blank-d-blank.......
...........there you you go an opinion about eric shea beer3.gif

Eric is a great guy....

Now where is that thing that I can click to say "Like" on this site?
r_towle
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 18 2011, 05:24 PM) *

Eric is a great guy....

Now where is that thing that I can click to say "Like" on this site?

grouphug.gif wub.gif smlove2.gif drunk.gif sheeplove.gif shocked[1].gif gayfight.gif

Take your choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.