Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trading my 914 against a 69 911t targa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sc42766
Hi , i have the opportunity of trading my 1973 914 ravenna green + cash against a 1969 911t targa . the seller tells me the engine has been redone . my concern is that from a closer look , the car looks like it as been patch and painted fast but the paint is bad . so it would have to be stripped and redone . when you lift the carpet , the floors seems and from under to but under , you can see solder spots and places where i could put my finger in . can anyone tell me if it would be a good deal or what the 911 is worth ?

regards

Martin
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=270
856]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
sc42766
here are other pics...
sc42766
and other ...
majkos
Run! looks more work than worth.
on the other hand, makes a great donor car!
steal the motor, front sup. sell off leftover*Bling*911 crap to fund 914-6 conversion.
wingnut86
They should have just mixed color in with the Bondo, it would have looked better for sure.

In the Deep South, you may have to make that type of deal in trade, but only because our vehicles tend to have more rust holding them together and good ones cannot be found.

I'm just paranoid, I'd be wary.

Wingnut86
dirk9141973
agree.gif I see work you know what you have with the 914 ??
Was 1969 a good year for 911?? I like 1975 to 1985 years
JRust
Run away! Unless your 914 is a total run down piece of crap. Keep it! You will not enjoy that car more than your 914. Looks like pretty shotty work on the 911. The resolution of the pictures stink & the 911 still looks bad. Not a good sign

Keep your 914 cheer.gif
IronHillRestorations
If your 914 is more rust free than the 911, it's my opinion that you are moving in the wrong direction. That 911 is nothing special, sorry.
rick 918-S
All that is is a donor for a 914-6.
Cap'n Krusty
..................and it's a Targa. Not the best option. 110 HP engine, rust in places you NEVER want to see rust, and who knows what's hidden? Small brakes, the pinch bolt struts, steel wheels, and there's been water on the floors (note the rotten toe board), and the floors don't appear to have the original structural stamped high and low spots.
Put on them runnin' shoes and boogie right on outta there.

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
While vintage 911s can be amazing cars that only see to escalate in value, that car will cost you a TON of money to restore properly.

I'd rather get into a hard top and a car like the GPR car that wears all of its blemishes on it's sleeve. Knowing well in advance what you are getting into is key. Assume this car is a rusty POS and assume you will have to go through everything.

As mentioned above... Me no likes targa but, that's a personal thing.
tavoman27
QUOTE(sc42766 @ Aug 17 2011, 04:03 PM) *

here are other pics...

If your 914 is in better shape than the 911 keep it, 911 are expensive to fix. I had a chance to get in to a 911T that need it some work, the cost of the work plus parts was so high that I could actually re do my 914 put a 6 on it and still have money to make 2.0l pretty to be sold at a later time...
Please run away!!!!
dlestep
...you will spend more money on the all the rubber alone to keep things dry.
The targa suffers the same problems structurally as the 914, but worse.
From the pictures, I would say drop it and run...or at least buy the motor and
put it in your 914
Mike Bellis
I sold my 911 to buy another 914. They are not as much fun to drive and don't handle as well. You will regret it. The ONLY thing about a 911 is that you will get a little more respect from the snobby PCA guys. The other PCA guys are cool with 914's.

If you get it you will miss your 914.
GeorgeRud
While it's true that the early, long hood 911s are going up in price, that only holds for the nice ones.

I had a 75 911 targa that I really liked, but it did need to have the engine rebuilt, leaked in the rain, and eventually rusted bad enough around the rear torsion bars that it wasn't worth repairing. I then stripped it down, took the engine, trans, etc. and put them into a nice, rust free 914 shell that I still have to this day.

With all the bad areas that are showing on that car, I'd be afraid of what you'll find once you really start digging.
sc42766
OK OK OK ..... You all convinced me to keep my 914 , i wanted to make the move because i tought i was going to make a good deal money wise, but i love my 914 and everytime i drive it , it attracks the attention of everyone ,i dont think it would be the same with the 911 unless they are snobby PCA's guy's ......

here are pics of my 914 .Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sc42766 @ Aug 17 2011, 10:35 PM) *

OK OK OK ..... You all convinced me to keep my 914 , i wanted to make the move because i tought i was going to make a good deal money wise, but i love my 914 and everytime i drive it , it attracks the attention of everyone ,i dont think it would be the same with the 911 unless they are snobby PCA's guy's ......

here are pics of my 914 .Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

How could you part with that one! rolleyes.gif
Porscheman912
Ok, I think you are making a great choice. I own a few early 911s, 912s, and 914s. The early or long hood cars, can be wosre than you think. I did a trade last year with my 69 911 T and in the trade, I agreed to do the floors t a reduced cost. I am kicking myself in the butt for it. I am very anal hen I do my work, and what I found up in the rockers, plus in areas you cannot see untill you strip parts out. They are great cars, and I love driving them, but my daily driver is a 1975 1.8 914, and I drive it like I stold it. It might not be quick, saves me in tickets, but it will out corner my 911s. Now, I am going to put a 3.6 in it, and keep driving. You 914 is the same ugly color as mine, but it grows on you, and I love my car. I had a guy stop by that wants to buy it, an I told him that if he comes up with the money before I start doing the 6, I might sell it, but I think I am going to keep it. They are great in the snow and ice, and even more fun in the summer. If you want a 911, plan on buying one that is done, or just buy one, and know that you are going to dump 10 times the amount in it than the 914. Best of luck, and have fun with you car.
kerensky
You're making the right choice. I've never liked the 911 targas anyway, and enough people feel that way that it hurts their value significantly in comparison to regular 911s. If this was an 'S' model I might feel different, but even then only if your plan was to flip it to some sucker willing to pay insane money for a long-hood 'S'.
Nozzle
Very good call with passing on the early 911 Targa. You think the 914 battery hell-hole is rust prone..? The entire Targa interior is one giant hell-hole! I swear my '71 911S Targa could find a way to trap moisture in the interior on a bright sunny day. dry.gif

As an aside although I'm very fond of my yellow '73, I absolutely love that Ravenna Green... biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 17 2011, 06:09 PM) *

The ONLY thing about a 911 is that you will get a little more respect from the snobby PCA guys.

I disagree. They make wonderful engine and front suspension donors! wink.gif

Actually, my wife's 911SC is a really nice car, and a hoot to drive. It is a very communicative car to drive, you can tell exactly what the contact patches are doing at all times. And it feels really very solid, unlike my 914.

It doesn't go around corners as well, nor does it like to change directions as rapidly, but it's still a pretty damned good car! And the sound of the motor is quite intoxicating.

--Oh, but I agree with the other assessments: This particular 911 has been hacked, jacked, and half-assed to the point where it isn't worth anything. IMHO.

--DD
Drums66
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 18 2011, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 17 2011, 06:09 PM) *

The ONLY thing about a 911 is that you will get a little more respect from the snobby PCA guys.

I disagree. They make wonderful engine and front suspension donors! wink.gif

Actually, my wife's 911SC is a really nice car, and a hoot to drive. It is a very communicative car to drive, you can tell exactly what the contact patches are doing at all times. And it feels really very solid, unlike my 914.

It doesn't go around corners as well, nor does it like to change directions as rapidly, but it's still a pretty damned good car! And the sound of the motor is quite intoxicating.

--Oh, but I agree with the other assessments: This particular 911 has been hacked, jacked, and half-assed to the point where it isn't worth anything. IMHO.

--DD
....Say hey...well put!!!(did'nt want to get hanged.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.