Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neat Head Tricks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Shoe taught me a neat trick...
Andyrew
Checking the seat of the valves?
TargaToy
Are you going to draw that water out to measure-- "CC" the..."CC's"? biggrin.gif
914Mels
Kind of small for a swimming pool.
McMark
Doubles shot glasses!
wingnut86
Wow, the porting is smooth as glass biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
works better with the spark plugs in wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Nice. Put 'em with the rest of the stuff to be recycled.

The Cap'n
Valy
Cleanning them before measuring works better.
You got at least 1-2cc of deposits on them WTF.gif
Dr Evil
Carbon and oil help in the sealing, that is why you need to clean them first wink.gif
nathansnathan
I don't know about using water for that. Adrian from head flow masters showed me to use mineral spirits; he called it a 'spirits test'.

1 of my seats was leaking on account of a slightly burned valve seat from tight valves. It was only slight and he said if I had run it hard with the valves gapped right that it would probably have re-seated, just saying.
scott_in_nh
It looks to me like it has a skin so I don't think it is water.

For a WAG that I have never heard of anybody doing - is it something that is semi-hard at room temp like candle wax?

Shave off the excess, pop it out and If you know the density then you can tell the chamber volume by weighting it.
r_towle
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 18 2011, 02:17 PM) *

It looks to me like it has a skin so I don't think it is water.

For a WAG that I have never heard of anybody doing - is it something that is semi-hard at room temp like candle wax?

Shave off the excess, pop it out and If you know the density then you can tell the chamber volume by weighting it.

its easier than that...
I do not think the OP is measuring the CC volume of the chamber because its far to dirty to have an accurate measurement.
He may just be checking to see if the valves are leaking.
Most cracks in the casting wont leak until the head is at 300 or more degrees.

For the CC measuring Scott.
Flat piece of plexiglass.
Drill 3/8 hole in the middle.
Hold Plexiglass down firm onto chamber.
Get a CC baby food syringe from CVS.
I used tranny fluid cause its easy to see bubbles and easy to read on the syringe.
Fill syringe to 60 or more CC...keep track.
Squirt through hole in plexi, read what is left in syringe..do complex calculus and trig to figure out how many CC's you just put into the chamber....done.

Rich
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 18 2011, 03:00 PM) *

its easier than that...
I do not think the OP is measuring the CC volume of the chamber because its far to dirty to have an accurate measurement.
He may just be checking to see if the valves are leaking.
Most cracks in the casting wont leak until the head is at 300 or more degrees.

For the CC measuring Scott.
Flat piece of plexiglass.
Drill 3/8 hole in the middle.
Hold Plexiglass down firm onto chamber.
Get a CC baby food syringe from CVS.
I used tranny fluid cause its easy to see bubbles and easy to read on the syringe.
Fill syringe to 60 or more CC...keep track.
Squirt through hole in plexi, read what is left in syringe..do complex calculus and trig to figure out how many CC's you just put into the chamber....done.

Rich

I'm familiar with the "classic" method Rich and agree that it is too dirty for a useful measurement, but even considering the surface tension of a thick liquid in these pictures it looks to be defying gravity - hence my "wild assed guess" that it was wax.

The classic method requires all of the stuff you mentioned, my guess requires candle wax and a scale. EDIT: a graduated cylinder with water could also be employed and the casting simply dropped into it and the volume of the casting calculated.
The OP said it was "cool", but I don't see what is cool about checking valves for leaks using mineral spirits - again, hence my guess (which is probably wrong, but what the heck).

Here is another WAG, that is a bottle of cola behind the head and he is using it to clean the head.
nathansnathan
He'd be doing it wrong if he was cc'ing the heads - you only fill them to the point where the cylinder would seat and he's gone way past that.

I've never used that plexi method to rule out the elipsis, which is pretty cool, just guestimated to confirm what the rebuilder had stamped on there.

I wonder what the op was actually talking about smile.gif
HAM Inc
Not sure what the OP is doing there. Not how I cc heads, that's for sure.
I use a burette with .2cc graduations (that are easy to split visually for .1cc accuracy) and plexiglass.

Technique is critical for accuracy and repeatability. Green rubbing alcohol works great and is easy to clean up.
Rod
QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 18 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Cleanning them before measuring works better.
You got at least 1-2cc of deposits on them WTF.gif

I think he is cleaning them.
r_towle
Hmmm,
Cola might be what he is using the clean the carbon....that is quite possible.
I wonder if it works...

Rich
ellisor3
A really tiny urinal??? beer3.gif
r_towle
Shoe taught Rob some neat head tricks......hmmm

R
Dr Evil
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 18 2011, 04:55 PM) *

Not sure what the OP is doing there. Not how I cc heads, that's for sure.
I use a burette with .2cc graduations (that are easy to split visually for .1cc accuracy) and plexiglass.

Technique is critical for accuracy and repeatability. Green rubbing alcohol works great and is easy to clean up.

He is checking for leaks, not CCing.
AndyB
agree.gif Glad someone else figured it out. I did the same thing for Shoe.
HAM Inc
That makes more sense.
jcd914
I have always filled the ports with solvent or alcohol and looked over the valves for signs of seepage or leaks. It is easier if the head you are checking has both intake and exhaust ports on the same side.
Trying to see a small liquid leak in an intake or exhaust port would not be easy.

Jim
EdwardBlume
What's an OP?
AndyB
Rob its original poster biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Aug 18 2011, 08:57 PM) *

I'm getting too old to get the hip lingo...
AndyB
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 19 2011, 12:06 AM) *

Its not hip lingo its just laziness your good beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Aug 18 2011, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 19 2011, 12:06 AM) *

Its not hip lingo its just laziness your good beerchug.gif

Back a million years ago when I smoked cigarettes (nasty habit) we called op's "other peoples",when you were out and had to bum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.