Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting new parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cool914
I am starting to weld in new restoration design parts (floors, inner long, out longs, clamshells, battery tray) but wondering what I need to do to them in terms of prepping them (they don't seem to be primed or anything). I have read many posts and understand what to do to treat, prep and paint rust areas but unclear on how to proceed in terms of prepping to weld, paint new parts.
Do I need to use a wire brush/sand to remove any finish/coating from them prior to welding? Do I need to then paint the entire panel with self etching weld thru primer and then weld, for the areas that will not be accessible (e.g. inside the longs, between the outer long and clamshell)? Do those painted surfaces need to be sealed with anything or just left as they are, I thought self etching primer could not be left unsealed? As you can tell I am a new welder(and painter).

I plan to paint everything with epoxy primer once I have the welding all done.

I am going to call restoration design tomorrow, just thought you all might be able to give me some guidance on best practice.

thanks
VaccaRabite
Clean the parts with degreaser.
Spray with a good weldable primer (or don't). The primer will help fight corrosion but can make things harder to weld. After welding, clean again and prime with epoxy primer.

obviously clear any rust there first.

zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.