Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
What do you guys think? Good enough to get the car to the alignment shop?
Dave_Darling
Should be, if your pen lines are reasonably close to parallel with the centerline of the body.

One thing to remember, your wheels change toe as the suspension compresses. This is "bump-steer". I don't remember how the 914 wheels change, what the bump-steer curves are like, but they will change.

I drove a 914 with an unknown amount of toe-out in the rear for a couple of years. It didn't kill me, but it was pretty "exciting" in the corners. So getting it close will certainly get you to the shop. Just take it easy.

--DD
Ductech
If you are going thru with doing any kinda measurements. put the car down /w wheels back on and follow this guys guide lines. http://raystrax.com/ha/index.html

Follow what he lays out for the 914. also Ray goes more into detail about corner wheighting on the 911 page. It's my .02 that if you have three to four hours to take a bunch of measurements then do this. It took my car from complete crap handling vibrating and wandering down the road, to a pretty well mannered car all the way up to freeway speed. All this from one session of measurement and adjustment. I can't wait to get some new measurements and see how close my adjustments got me to a more ideal suspension setup.... Unless you like paying people to do your alignment. I find the math kinda fun.
PeeGreen 914
Tom,

Are you going to have Tim realign this and all? If you are I would just give it as much toe in as you can while you tighten and you should be good to go. Generally a stock 914 will be very close to 0 at max toe in. I would doubt you will do anything in that short of a trip.

Tim Kornacki is about $150 for a complete allignment and corner balance. He can be reached at 206-789-1850 (Matt's Greenwood Autocare) during regular business hours.
Tom
Jon,
Yes, I will get Tim to do the alignment later. This car was handling fine. This is just a simple way to get the arms back to as close to before removal as possible for the trip to the alignment shop.
Tom
PeeGreen 914
Well in that case I would just grab the rear of the rotor and pull it as far out as I can while tightening the bolts. It's very crude but it will get you close enough.
r_towle
the real question is how far is the alignment shop that will do a 4 wheel setup on a 914?
If its within a reasonable distance, you can drive any wacky setup .....it may shake a bit...

RIch
Tom
Well, fast forward a year and I am finally getting back to this.
First I would like to thank Eric at PMB for the excellent service and work that he provides. I had Eric do these back in 2006 with rubber bushings and new bearings and sandblast and paint. They were still looking great. but the rubber bushings had something go wrong and I had up and down movement in the arm along the shaft axis. Talked to Eric and he said send them to him and he would put the new poly bushings with zerk grease fittings for me. Free of charge!! What a guy! smile.gif
Got them back last year, but between my bad back and other things that seem to get in the way, I haven't reinstalled them.
Started yesterday and got the driver's side on. Just need to put the axle back on and tighten it up some so I can go back to my rough alignment set up. Had everything all laid out and ready and made sure all of the bolts, lock washers, tools ,etc., I needed were handy. Got to the dust shield and one schoor washer was missing. Now where did that go, it was just here! Looked and looked and could not find it. Had no more schoor wasshers so I used a flat washer and a touch of locknut to keep it from backing out. By the time I got the arm on and the brakes on, my back was in turmoil, so I stopped for the day. Putting everything up and the cover back on the car, the schoor washer fell to the floor. Now how the XXXX did that washer jump to the roof of the car? That's where I had the cover folded back out of the way.
The shaft in the arm turned by hand after greasing, tight but not too hard to turn. I guess that would be a good thing.
Today I hope to get some more done. Hope it goes better than yesterday.
Tom
Tom
Well, things did not go as well as I was hoping. I thought the axles would go in with the trailing arm on. No! One must either have the trailing arm off or the exhaust system off. My exhaust doesn't leak, so I am going to leave it alone.
Also decided that while the axles are off, since they are somewhat a pain to remove and install, I might as well service the CV's. The rubber boots are looking old and cracked so I ordered new ones. Now to clean and service the CV's.
One axle done and ready for new grease and boots. I plan on sandblasting the axle and paint it before reassembly. I was surprised at how easy the cv went back together. I did review the proper way to get the balls in before trying and it worked very well.
I am beginning to see why the designers made the trunks on 914's so large - they make a great storage place for parts! smile.gif
At this rate, I will have this car ready for spring. biggrin.gif
The trailing arm installed and greased moved up and down by hand easily prior to hooking up the shock. That Eric sure does nice work!
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.