Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Going to be trying to tackle pushrod seal replacement this weekend. I have those viton seals from AA. Any unusual problems with them that anyone knows about. And is it okay to jack up the car using the engine mounting bar then putting jack stands under those triangle or donut looking supports?
Allan
Oh, and is this something that can be done by one person?
Ray Warren
Yes one person can do it.
You want to jack the car up so that one wheel turns and the other does not (so that you can turn the engine over).
You need to know where TDC is and when to find it.
Be careful not to over tighten the nuts that hold the rocker shafts on.
There is a tech article on the pelican site, you should read it before starting.
adam912
Some suggestions:

1)Go back and review some of the previous threads on this topic. I am a firm believer in Jake's approach using teflon pipe sealant on the O-rings. It's worked incredibly well for me.

2) Check the fit on both ends of the pushrod tubes (assembled O-ringed tube to head or case) to make sure the seating is nice and firm ON BOTH ENDS. I had terrible leak problems caused by shrunken O-rings allowing oil to flow past, but the problem only occurred at the case end. Because the head-end fit was good, simply doing the assembly the way you normally would, namely put O-rings on both ends then push the tubes in through the heads, made everythng seem fine. I suggest first putting on only the case-end O-rings, trying those for good fit, then doing the head-ends next. Once you know both ends are OK THEN apply whatever goop you want to use.

3)There have been several posts (notably from Ray Greenwood) on making sure the tubes are sized properly as well.

cheers
Adam Reed
'66 912, 2.2L T4 power
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.