Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber 32/36 DFAV Jetting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Any Ideas on how to get this one running again?
The Weber 32/36 DFAV set up that is on a 1.7Ltr, with the 1.8Ltr 96mm Big Bore kit is
running too rich. So much so that the rings are not seating. Result has been that the
oil is blowing out of every possible opening in the case. I am having the P&C reworked
with new rings, but do not want to have the same thing happen to the engine again.
Any ideas on where to start with the tuning process once everything back together?
The current jetting on the 32/36 DFAV is as follows:

Primary Main Jet: 155
Secondary Main Jet: 145
Primary Air Corrector Jet: 180
Secondary Air Corrector Jet: 165
Primary Idle Jet: 50
Secondary Idle Jet: 50

History on the engine: Previous owner had the 32/36 set up running just fine with the 1.7ltr.
When the upgrade to the Big Bore occurred, and the tuning was done to max power out of
the motor that is when the problems started. The rings never seated, oil problem became
severe, and the car was parked.

Thanks,
74914LE
Jake Raby
Oh man... You have a challenge, those carbs are a nightmare even for me to get right- Thats why I gave up on them about 8 years ago+

Lean it way out! Bigger engines do NOT typically need MORE jet! if they are efficient enough they may need LESS jet!

The jet size is 100% related to the venturi size, not engine displacement. What jets were in it before?

Buy duals if you can afford them, the long ass runners on the single carb kills efficiency and wants to run lean no matter what. In the winter they run too cold and can actualy freeze solid if the humidity is right.

I have had great luck with a heated carb gasket that was used on a Chevy cavalier. It helps warm the mixture and makes the rich running go away, a great deal. I *think* I may still have one left if you want it...
lapuwali
Like Jake said, these things are a challenge. I had one on my car when I bought it, and fought with it for some time before I gave up and bought a pair of IDFs.

Put all of the original jets back in. Also make sure there are no internal leaks (accelerator pump circuit). Make sure the choke is opening all the way. Once you're running again, concentrate on the idle mixture screw and the idle jets first. Those are used 90% of the time in street driving, so it's very important to get that circuit working correctly.
Joe Bob
Take it off the engine....toss in lake, if it floats back do it again....

Repeat until it sinks or your arm gives out.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.