Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Dash Switch Order
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Does anyone have a picture of the order in which the switches are located on the Dash of a /6? I can't seem to find a stock orientation anywhere!
Jeffs9146
I have a photo on my web page, I will post it when I get home.
Cairo94507
Mine is from left to right, headlights, fog lights, hazard lights, ignition switch. Then on the other side of the steering wheel is the cigarette lighter and rear window defroster.
GeorgeRud
agree.gif My original -6 has the same order from left to right.

Obviously, a 1972 model might have the ignition on the column stalk depending on when Porsche switched the location of the ignition switch.
Jeffs9146
OK, here is one from my 6!
Cairo94507
Jeff,

Where were you hiding that car? I would have loved to have seen it. BTW have you been able to drive the other car yet?

Michael
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 19 2011, 05:10 AM) *

Jeff,

Where were you hiding that car? I would have loved to have seen it. BTW have you been able to drive the other car yet?

Michael

Awesome guys! Much appreciated. I'm running the switches now as I undid my whole wiring harness during the resto, so I want everything nice and neat.

I think I'm going to move everything over 1 space, so my order would have an open spot on the far left, then lights, fogs, and ignition. My reasoning for this would be so that the Hazard light is on the Right side closer to the passenger is so that in the case of an emergency, the passenger can pull the lights.

Also, since mine doesnt have a defroster, and I don't really need one in SoCal, I can have a defroster switch that goes to something I choose.
toolguy
The stock wires wont be long enough to get the hazard switch over to the right side of the steering wheel .
On my 6 , after I pulled the wiring harness, I put it back and when placing the switches, found that the hazard switch 'wanted' to go next to the headlight switch and the fogs naturally went next to the ignition switch. . . That was because that's where the harness wires fit the best. . . I tried to put them in the stock location but the wiring had to be pulled and bent. so I put them where it 'felt' best. . .

As for the defroster switch. . . it's a perfect candidate for a fuel pump cut-off switch. . . serves 2 purposes. . . 1- in case of fire. . 2nd- it's a great anti theft item. . just run 2 wires over to the fuel pump and intercept the positive lead at the pump. . so with the switch in it wont start. . you'll have to pull it out to start the car. .
RiqueMar
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 19 2011, 08:43 AM) *

The stock wires wont be long enough to get the hazard switch over to the right side of the steering wheel .
On my 6 , after I pulled the wiring harness, I put it back and when placing the switches, found that the hazard switch 'wanted' to go next to the headlight switch and the fogs naturally went next to the ignition switch. . . That was because that's where the harness wires fit the best. . . I tried to put them in the stock location but the wiring had to be pulled and bent. so I put them where it 'felt' best. . .

Agreed. I'm running everything to the stock locations, and once finished/tested, then I'll start modifying a bit (integrating the /6 ignition, disconnecting the fogs from the headlights, fuel pump, moving over the Hazard switch, etc)

I've already had to pull a few mods to get this back to the stock diagram. Whoever the previous owner was, whenever they fixed a connection, I suppose they didn't see fit to color-coordinate, label, or even use the correct year wire, So I've been pulling wires from other harnesses to maintain accuracy.

QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 19 2011, 08:43 AM) *

As for the defroster switch. . . it's a perfect candidate for a fuel pump cut-off switch.

Lol, well, there goes my secret!
toolguy
Ah the fogs wiring changes. . It took me 2 days to get this all done but here's what I did on my 6. . .

First, I wanted to be able to keep the headlights down whan the parking lites were on [ only come up on the 2nd position] so If I was driving with the bra on and it started to get dark, I didn't have to stop and roll the bra flaps back. . that was just moving one wire on the headlight switch. .

Next I wanted to be able to turn on the fogs with the parking lites on, that was a little more difficult and I rewired the entire fog lite switch and relay to it's on battery and ground independent of the headlight circuit. . .

This last one was a little harder still. . . I wanted to be able to use the 'headlight flasher' on the lever to flash the fogs. . . that was a little solder change on the lever switch and running one wire, but it works. . made it so I can flash the fogs with the ignition off also. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.