Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a photo of the E brake wiring on the handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
Could someone post a photo of the ebrake wiring to the idiot light. I can not tell where the wiring goes on the ebrake itself. All of my wiring is missing and I assume the connections are missing as well.

I checked the 914 Factory Manual and there is no reference to the E brake wiring connection points.

Thanks in advance. pray.gif
Tom
There is no wiring that I have seen on the handle. There is a small switch on the floor crossbrace where the handle hits to make the circuit break. I believe the circuit is grounded when the handle is up and the ground is removed when handle contacts the small switch. Corrosion on the ground point made mine act up, cleaned and now good.
Tom
ellisor3
I found that switch, How is it wired, and where does it go?

Everything has been removed from that area so I really have no idea what I am looking for.

QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 20 2011, 12:12 PM) *

There is no wiring that I have seen on the handle. There is a small switch on the floor crossbrace where the handle hits to make the circuit break. I believe the circuit is grounded when the handle is up and the ground is removed when handle contacts the small switch. Corrosion on the ground point made mine act up, cleaned and now good.
Tom

Tom
If my memory is right, it has only one wire that hooks up to the switch. It runs up to the dash somehow. I didn't have to disassemble mine any further, just cleaned the area where the switch was mounted to get a good ground. Two small screws hold in the switch and it pulls up out of the crossbrace with the wire attached. Your wire may still be attached.
Tom
ellisor3
Thanks Tom, I am starting to get it, I did not realize that switch came out. I can see the connection, but I can not pull out the wire far enough to see what color it is.

Any idea what color that wire is?

I am pretty sure my has been snipped somwhere under the console.
toolguy
Really simple wiring. . look for a brown with white strip wire. . comes out of the tunnel under the stash box or tray. . if you don't see it coming out look inside the main harness between the seats. . . this wire goes directly to the bulb on the dash instruments. . the bulb has battery in the other side so the ground from the contact switch lights the bulb. . .

You may find another brown tied into that lead, which comes from the master cylinder switch- that also uses the same bulb for a brake hydraulic leak indicator. .
Tom
If you are tearing into this because the E-brake light keeps blinking?, try this - take a small wire and ground the wire that goes to the switch connection. Blinking stops, clean where the switch goes for a good ground. Blinking does not stop, switch is probably not your problem. Like you said, the wire may have been cut. I can't remember what color but I think it was a dark color with a stripe. If you can't figure out anything, let me know and I'll see if I can get mine out to where we can figure out the color. I'll have to get my wife to help, I'm somewhat colorblind!
Tom
ellisor3
Thanks for the help guys. Here is a photo on the combo gauge end. There are two gournds (brown and white) and one black green and white wire.

The wire from the switch has been cut somewhere between the switch and the gauge, so I am going to have to find that wire and re-fish a new one through. The problem is that there are two grounds, one seems to have a fuse attached to it.

Tom
ellisor3,
That may be the diode for the wire that goes to the e-brake. If you try reading it, it can read open one way. Reverse the leads and try again.
Is your problem the light blinking all of the time? This can be because as mentioned by toolguy, the master cyliner on some cars has a switch that closes when the hydraulic pressure is different between sides. It can be reset by pushing the reset button on the master cylinder. If in facxt the wire to e-brake has been cut, try to repair it or if your replace it make sure you put the diode in line with the cathode toward the switch.
Tom
ellisor3
Got it Tom thanks,

I think the wire is simply cut somewhere between switch and the gauge and has been grounding itself somewhere causing intermittant flashing. I just cant find where the wire comes out in the center tunnel. Trial and Error time. hissyfit.gif

QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 20 2011, 01:15 PM) *

ellisor3,
That may be the diode for the wire that goes to the e-brake. If you try reading it, it can read open one way. Reverse the leads and try again.
Is your problem the light blinking all of the time? This can be because as mentioned by toolguy, the master cyliner on some cars has a switch that closes when the hydraulic pressure is different between sides. It can be reset by pushing the reset button on the master cylinder. If in facxt the wire to e-brake has been cut, try to repair it or if your replace it make sure you put the diode in line with the cathode toward the switch.
Tom

toolguy
the brown white wire is suppose to come out at the rea of the tunnel. . it also has the wires that go up to the rear bulkhead light and there is a green and a brown that are for the heated rear window. . they may be under the back panel and you cant see them. . . If you want to run a new wire, bring it from the dash thru the tunnel, , then where the body cross frame appears in front of the seats, run it thru that frame over to the brake switch. . It's a lot easier that taking the long way around. .

I On my car {914-6} the brake bulb has 2 brown/white trace wires on one side and a red/white {common battery} on the other side

HOWEVER. . I looked up your wiring because I didn't remember a black green white wire. . that means your car has a seat belt logic module, where all kinds of magic electrical things happen BUT. . . the handbrake wire at the module is double tapped on pin A {2 brown White wires}. . that other brown white wire is the one that goes up to the dash bulb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.