Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would a 914 bet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawktel
If Chevy had made the 914's, would they still get the same attention they do? Is the 914 dependent upon the porsche cachet? What if it was a Honda product? Would people care?
thesey914
What if Volkswagen made it? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Andyrew
If honda made it, the honda people would want it..

If chevy made it, they'd ALL have sbc's in them...

If Porsche made it..

nm

Andrew
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Hawktel @ Jul 8 2004, 09:32 PM)
What if it was a Honda product? Would people care?

they tried to make it. they called it the Del Sol. they just got the engine in the wrong place. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
will fiero's be popular in 10-20 years? no, they are still crap... the fiero is GM's weak ass imitation of the 914...

if honda or any japanese co. it would not have the same following, because the japanese cars in the 70s were just econo boxes and not highly sought now... (possible exceptions: 240Z and the cosmo/early RXs) but I suppose if Toyota would have made the MR2 10-15 years earlier, yes, people would want them, just not the SAME people that want the 914 now... wink.gif

look at how sought after the Ghias are... they are more expensive than a 914!! it's not just the PORSCHE name plate that makes 914s cool... it's the 914... and if someone solid... )BMW,MB, alfa, MG, etc...) and reputable for sports cars (notice I didn't say muscle cars) at the time would have built the same thing... it would have a similar following...
KaptKaos
To me, I always like the simplicity of the 356 speedsters. I thought that the basic, no frills approach made the most of the motoring experience. I was never one to enjoy all of the bells and whistles on cars. I like that a car has minimal creature comforts. Am I too lazy to roll up my own windows?

That said, the 914 is the most affordable car that is close to what the 356 speedster was all about. And by 356 standards, the 914 is posh. Basic, simple, focused. That is what I like.
davep
The basic 914 design is awesome. Look at what the chassis can do on the track. It almost seems that every engine imaginable is tried in a 914 chassis. I like to think that it was the Porsche genius that makes the 914 what it is. It is not that Porsche is infallible, they just got this one spot on. Sure they saddled the bulk of them with a weak 4 banger, and the six was strangled so as not to outshine the 911, but the raw potential is there. VW strangled the project on price also.
AlexO
I've got a VW badge on the front and a "VOLKSWAGEN" across the back. People still love the car. It just just draw the wrong kind of attention anymore. (and its funny when people ask if its a Ghia) laugh.gif

--Alex
Eric_Shea
If Chevy made it, it would be a Corvair

If Honda made it, it would be a Del Sol
phantom914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 9 2004, 01:44 PM)

Wouldn't the Corvair be the Chevy version of the 911?

Andrew
Joe Ricard
Can't remember the last time I saw a 1970 Honda.
Can't remember seeing a 70 Chevy 6 banger that turned my head like MY teener does.
However "Cruising the Coast" there is a Hot rod Corvair that is really sweet. This year I will try and park next to him so we can chat more.

I have had three notes on my car since putting it on the road two weeks ago. one guy has a parts car connection, one guy just said "cool" and the last one is an SCCA driver that is recruiting me. Plus can't get gas without drawing at least one comment or question about the car. "they are for numbers" damn dots. alfred.gif

Never got a thumbs up from a red neck in an old truck while driving the K-car.
Andyrew
I love the dots, dont get rid of em!!

(gona make me some.. hecks ya)
ejm
QUOTE(phantom914 @ Jul 9 2004, 02:14 PM)
Wouldn't the Corvair be the Chevy version of the 911?

The Corvair was out a few years before the 911
Maybe the Chevy version of the Beetle
scruz914

And if God made it, it would be a 914.
jgiroux67
To be completely honest, the first reason why i got into 914's is because it was a Porsche and they are affordable(relatively), but also because they look great and are mid-engined and have great handling.

I would probably not even consider a 914 if it was made by and American or Japenese car company because of the simple fact they do not put the same effort into design and performance.

Oh yeah and Honda did try and rip off the 914 and its called a Del Sol and its a piece of crap!
EdwardBlume
Del Sol, Fierro, MR2, etc... its all about making a similar "platform" sportscar.

The thing about the 914 is that it is very well designed by the "old Porsche" team that continued to develop 911s in the late 60s. 914s have a soul that is reminiscent of the 356 in some regards, the 911 in others, a race car in others, and perhaps a VW or ghia in others.

What you don't get in the cheap later cop offs is the feedback. When I drive my 914 its telling me how hard the curve is, what the road feels like, whether the roadkill back there was a boy or girl.... the car is an extension of my senses.

That's why around town, I reach for the vintage keys vs the autobahn cruiser.
EdwardBlume
Also don't forget that the 914 was only the 3rd platform model from Stuttguart behind the 356 and 911 / 912. Stick that in your whine and cheese and smoke it.
wheelo
Think of how unique these cars are .... what other design from the 70's has held-up as well? without appearing dated? Still able to be a daliy-driver? Not too many...Only ones I can think-of were already mentioned by Rob, P-Cars...356...911 & 912 ! Vintage 914 !
These cars just plain ROCK... No Rice or Hot Dogs...
Just a smoking hot... Schnitzel ....
smoke.gif
Dead Air
The 914 reminds me more of the 550 with a targa.
I went looking for bmw calipers yesterday at the U-pull salvage yard (no luck) but found a '66 or '67 corvair looking pretty beat up. But there was the engine totally intact, carbs, ignition, fan the whole bit. "How to hot rod your VW" has a page on the corvair saying the rotation has to be reversed. That would be hanging behind the car. So, theoretically, in front of the tranny it would run OK in a stock setup. What do you think? Should I pull the seized 2.0L and drop in a six?
I think Nader might have been wrong. The corvairs were safe under 15 MPH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.