Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding Dellorto 40mm carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, I am just about to pull my carbs apart and want to give them a rebuild. They are in rough shape and need work plus they are like 13 years old or so and I recently bought a full rebuild kit from CB performance (see pic below)...so before I attempt to rebuild these carbs which are twin 40mm Dellorto carbs I wanted to ask here for some advice on what I should do or not do...I have been doing searches and am not coming up with much luck for Dellorto carbs. Honestly my mechanical skills are quite low and this will be the first time to rebuild car carbs and I have no idea what I am really doing but want to try it instead of paying for a shop to do....am I being dumb? I want to learn to do these things myself instead of having to pay for it.....

the carb kit from CB

IPB Image

While I am at it I will install these new filters as well

IPB Image
SUNAB914
Jamie, I'm no expert but I just did mine also. They are pretty straight forward in taking apart. There is a Dell book for rebuilding also, so look for that. Do one at a time, you will see how they come apart. I used ACE for new jets, they were very knowledgable about them also. Good luck and have fun, not that difficult to do once you start.
jmill
I don't know Dells but I found the Weber Tech Manual very useful. CB also makes one for the Dellorto.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=2
willamp
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 21 2011, 08:41 AM) *

Jamie, I'm no expert but I just did mine also. They are pretty straight forward in taking apart. There is a Dell book for rebuilding also, so look for that. Do one at a time, you will see how they come apart. I used ACE for new jets, they were very knowledgable about them also. Good luck and have fun, not that difficult to do once you start.

agree.gif

I haven't done dells but Zenith-Stromberg and Webers were quite easy. I also agree with doing one at a time so you can take the other apart if necessary to see how something fits together.

Don't do what I did 30 years ago and take one of you wife's baking pans to soak the parts in carb cleaner and then clean it and put it back in the kitchen. She made brownies in it a week later that tasted like carb cleaner. Boy did I catch hell. That pan is still in my garage today. My wife's still with me too but doesn't allow me in the kitchen.

simonr
rebuilding dells is no big deal . Clean work is good work . get two cans of carb cleaner use them both. the trick is to get the floats set correctly . when you get them back together and in the car make sure you get an AFR to determine where you are with your mixture
You will need the afr meter to get them jetted correctly. If you have used these on the car and they are jetted correctly use the float level to set lean or rich. The dell manual is a must. I rebuilt mine and they kick ass
stugray
The most important part of rebuilding...
Keep the rebuild kit in it's bag and AWAY from the disassembly.

After disassembling, clean everything very very well, but dont jam pipe cleaners or other wires down the small holes in the carb bodies.

Once you think everything is clean enough, clean it again.
Then put everything away in ziplocks or storage containers, then clean your workspace.

When you go to put it back together it should be as clean as an operating room. If you walk away from the workbench, cover everything.

Stu
nathansnathan
I rebuilt my 40mm dellorto drla's. I went through cb performance's "super performance tech book" doing it.

I also had the cb performance rebuild kit, and ended up getting needle inlet valves from dellorto.uk, or eurocarb as it's called. I would get pump diaphragms from them too.

The cb inlet valves are no good, too much movement of the plunger before the spring action happens. It makes setting the floats impossible. I took mine apart 4 times figuring this out.

The trick is setting both floats exactly the same, to the half mm or less of each other.
nsr-jamie
Thanks everybody for the help...I am still looking around on Amazon and other places for a manual in English...CB likes to over charge me on shipping a lot so might be better to buy the book some where else.

Willamp, thank you! I will not use any of the wifes kitchen tools at all...I have buckets from the dollar store ready to go and my friends shop has a parts washer machine

Stugray, thank you too! That is excellent advice, exactly how I like to work and keep things organized.

Thank you everybody
Jamie
Van914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.