Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reliable 914 mechanic in Atlanta area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R&F914
I'm new to this forum, but have lived in the Atlanta area for over 12 years and have had my 1974 914 2.0 for 11 of those years. I've been to a couple of "reputable" mechanics in the past, but have not really found one that has provided the best overall service. My most recent service was supposed to correct some oil leaks, which required pulling out and re-installing the engine. Upon visual inspection, I noted several "little" items that were not installed correctly and due to what I would call "lack of detail". Those were addressed, but now the car is running very rough and I'm afraid that something else may have been missed or not done correctly with something that's not visible.

If anyone has any strong recommendations on where they take their 914 for service, I'd love to hear it.
GeorgeRud
Though they have their fans and their detractors, Automobile Atlanta in Marietta, Ga. has been working on these cars longer than anyone else in the area, and should know what needs to be done to do a job correctly.

Unfortunately, every shop that employs people seem to find some jewels and some rocks to work in the shop. I'm sure some local folks have some more input.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(R&F914 @ Aug 21 2011, 10:02 AM) *

...Upon visual inspection, I noted several "little" items that were not installed correctly and due to what I would call "lack of detail"...

From the 'advice you don't need' department: Don't go back there...
obscurity
Several years ago I tried to find a mechanic to work on mine (AA is not that convienient since I live on the South Side) but while I found plenty of people who were eager to work on a Porsche as soon as I mentioned that it was a 914 they lost interest. As a result I have been doing all of my own work.

John
poorsche914
QUOTE(R&F914 @ Aug 21 2011, 10:02 AM) *
If anyone has any strong recommendations on where they take their 914 for service, I'd love to hear it.

There are plenty of skilled/knowledgeable 914 owners in the Atlanta area. Offer them a beer or two and I bet they will help you out beerchug.gif
ripper911
I've been using AutoAtlanta for years, they do have some issues. I don't know if it is due to my budget constraints but some things have been sloppily done over the years, or mis-diagnosed. That being said I buy parts there and will probably take my car back to them at some point for service when I need to.

I haven't found any other shops to work on the 914.
There is a place around Riverdale or Forest Park called Sports Car Service (I think) one of the VW shops told me about.
The best thing I've found are local teeners who are willing to help. beerchug.gif

racerbvd
I saw a car that AA did a lot of work on at another shop not long ago, and pretty much everything they did is having to be redone correctly, they have been F***G 914 pwns since the 80s (when I got into Teeners) and many more negative stories than positive, plus, look at the way they do business && always have.. AVOID them unless you want to join the You Got F***ed by AA club.. Do a search...
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 21 2011, 01:02 PM) *

I've been using AutoAtlanta for years, they do have some issues. I don't know if it is due to my budget constraints but some things have been sloppily done over the years, or mis-diagnosed. That being said I buy parts there and will probably take my car back to them at some point for service when I need to.

I haven't found any other shops to work on the 914.
There is a place around Riverdale or Forest Park called Sports Car Service (I think) one of the VW shops told me about.
The best thing I've found are local teeners who are willing to help. beerchug.gif

Here is the link to the shop in Forest Park that Ripper911 was talking about. I have not used them because I live 120 miles north.

http://www.yellowpages.com/business/site?l...scarservice.net

I take my Teener to Ambassador Automotive just across the border in Franklin, North Carolina.

Terry
poorsche914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 21 2011, 01:02 PM) *
... I don't know if it is due to my budget constraints but some things have been sloppily done over the years, or mis-diagnosed...

Hmm... for X amount of dollars they will mis-diagnose and just throw things together. But for XXX amount of dollars, they will get it right (maybe). blink.gif
I remember a recent story of a member who spent big bucks at AA and had to take the car back to have things made right.
AA is a good source for parts (especially if you are in the area) but seems the service department has major issues.

driving.gif
ripper911
Thanks Jawja, a VW shop in Forest Park said they would be good working on a 914.

Not that I'm against George and AA, they have been very helpful over the years. I became a loyal customer when I was driving the 911 and a C/V joint failed, I had it towed to them not knowing what to do (delivering pizza in the 911, 19yo no money) They fixed it for free.
But, compared to the VW shop that I use for the Super Beetle (they wont touch the 914), they are slow, expensive, and sloppy. They're all nice people though, and I enjoy visiting them, and since they're convenient for me I will have my car back with them to be fixed at some point.

Let's not turn this into an AA thread, what other shops are around?

I know Harrell VW repair in Carrolton works on type IV engines and has said they could do tune-ups at least.
brant
dig a bit.
there was a recent thread (1month ago) of how AA did some wrenching for a 914world member here.

They screwed up royally
customer was very frustrated

I don't know about you, but if I'm looking for a local shop and hear even 1 actual story of an actual person I know or am familiar with getting jerked around, I go to a different shop

I can understand a mistake and willingness to make it right
I can't understand ignorance and arogance, refusing to fix a mistake.

carr914
rfuerst911SC had a Thread a couple of months ago asking the same question as he was fairly new to Atlanta ( Moved from Orlando). Against my recommendation he took his car to AA and promptly got Fist-Fuch'd.

You can pm him for all the info

T.C.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 21 2011, 11:21 AM) *

rfuerst911SC had a Thread a couple of months ago asking the same question as he was fairly new to Atlanta ( Moved from Orlando). Against my recommendation he took his car to AA and promptly got Fist-Fuch'd.

You can pm him for all the info

T.C.

Yep that was me sad.gif Against TC's and a few others advice I went to AA and got fuched........hard . Ended up spending $2800.00 to have an alternator changed, a broken axle replaced that they broke on the test drive and a few other items. Car ran like shit when I first picked it up and had to take it back. I will NEVER bring any Porsche there again !!! Not that I'm bitter or anything biggrin.gif .
obscurity
Any other shops someone can recommend?
Jake Raby
Contact Al Meredith. He is a board member here and does some 914 work in his spare time.

We are very close to Atlanta, so close that I get calls like yours from the area all the time. Unfortunately I don't have any positive TIV experiences to post with Atlanta area shops.

Al is probably your best bet.
JFJ914
Lewis Broyles in Canton. 770-667-1753. 914's 911's 944's. Good guy.
d914
second on lewis,, PCA guy, 914er for years,, playing some on 944's also..
ripper911
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 21 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Contact Al Meredith. He is a board member here and does some 914 work in his spare time.

We are very close to Atlanta, so close that I get calls like yours from the area all the time. Unfortunately I don't have any positive TIV experiences to post with Atlanta area shops.

Al is probably your best bet.

agree.gif He has done a lot for me, and is a great guy who knows these cars well.
d914
ditto's on Al also,, great guy
BIGKAT_83
agree.gif

both Lewis and Al would be the ones to use. I know Lewis just retired from another job.

Bob
R&F914
Thanks to everyone for their quick replies. I just spoke to Lewis and he will work with me to get it looked at.

kerensky
With a 'mongrel' like the 914 you have to think outside the box. Sounds like you have a good candidate, but if you need to keep looking, I would attend some VW car shows in the area and ask those guys. Eventually you'll find a shop willing to work on it and skilled enough to not mess it up.

But by far the best thing is to do everything you can yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.