Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Experiences with bad fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades
We have some mom and pop gas stations that sell 93 octane "no ethanol" fuel.

I am starting to think their fuel quality is low and is clogging my idle jets.

What have you all experienced with bad fuel?

I wonder if fuel with ethanol from a gas station with relatively new tanks in the
ground plus marine stabil would be a better bet that so called ethanol free from
old tanks at a beater gas station...

Thinking of adding a water/fuel separator like I have on my carb-ed boat.

John
osvolant
I had the lovely experience of water in gasoline freezing in my Subaru Forester's fuel line in 17F at Snowshoe, WV a couple of years ago on a Sunday afternoon as we were trying to leave. This was premium purchased from a convenience store in Beckley, WV. No idea whether the gas had ethanol in it. Had the car flat-bedded to the maintenance garage of the Snowshoe ski area to thaw (hurrah AAA!), added some isopropyl alcohol, and off we went, six hours later.

Ethanol is hygroscopic so more likely to absorb water from the atmosphere, causing such problems. Gasoline with ethanol is a big no-no for aircraft, even those with approval to use auto gas, for this reason. In a car it is not life-threatening.
J P Stein
None......in 47 years of driving. The Raby crowd must have beaten me to all of it. biggrin.gif
underthetire
And thats why we always bought race gas in sealed 5 gallon containers for the dirt bikes. Seems the pump race gas that was available sat for long periods of time.
FourBlades
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 22 2011, 10:57 AM) *

And thats why we always bought race gas in sealed 5 gallon containers for the dirt bikes. Seems the pump race gas that was available sat for long periods of time.

I wondered about that, but man it is expensive for a driver car!

John
FourBlades
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 22 2011, 10:55 AM) *

None......in 47 years of driving. The Raby crowd must have beaten me to all of it. biggrin.gif

I am not really part of anyone's crowd. biggrin.gif

I wish there was a crowd locally to be part of. mad.gif

You must have some experience with this????

Don't hold out on me man! popcorn[1].gif

John
Drums66
,,,,,,.....My mechanic friends say.....stay away from Arco's idea.gif
I have, no issues...only because of my own negligence(no sock either) poke.gif
so if you see a man with 1 sock...... bye1.gif (Chevron or Shell) idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
carr914
Fortunately I buy my e-Free fuel from a Fuel Distributer, they also sell V-P Race Fuel
JmuRiz
I've had bad results from Sonoco, just didn't work well in my mower...and after a while it also gummed up my 914 carb'd engine and my motorcycle. I had stabil in them both but it just couldn't handle it.

Oh well, I've had better luck with the Shell local to me. It's more money, but I don't drive much.
J P Stein
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 22 2011, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 22 2011, 10:55 AM) *

I am not really part of anyone's crowd. biggrin.gif

I wish there was a crowd locally to be part of. mad.gif

You must have some experience with this????

Don't hold out on me man! popcorn[1].gif

John

Between the wife (wed 39 years) & I we've had (WAG) 20 cars......just never had bad gas. I have nothing to sell ya & no excuses to make, just my experience.
I've built several engines over the years & have grenaded a couple, had running/tuning problems, but bad gas was never the problem..... I was. huh.gif
Mike Bellis
Got bad gas at an Indan Reservation on the way to Durango CO. Leaving town, up the hill, the RV sucked in water and stalled. 3 hours later... Trying to get it up the hill and finally turning around, we had to drain the tank... Then some old timer at the mechanic shop poured some ATF in the tank and told us it would boost octane levels WTF.gif RV ran fine after that.
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 22 2011, 12:59 PM) *

We have some mom and pop gas stations that sell 93 octane "no ethanol" fuel.

John

John, It just might be because it is a Mom n Pop. They probably have Old Tanks (leakage) and probably don't get enough turns on their fuel to keep it fresh.

While I think it is good to support Mom n Pops, it might be bad for gas ( I wouldn't eat the Pickled Hard Boiled Eggs either sad.gif )
sean_v8_914
Gila Bend AZ, Friends gas station. was coming back from a 3-day race tour in Ziggy, Aug 07. running on fumes near Gila bend I had no other option so I filled up at "Friends or Friendly" gas. they have a heart logo and I have seen them elsewhere. 2 miles later he starts pinging like had. I backed out the timing and babied him 50 miles till next fuel opportunity. removed a hose and let it drool out right there. re-fueled with Cheveron, ping was gone.

Arco leaves heavy deposits...or it did in 2006-08. I whitnessed this first hand thru annual inspections of the Ziggy prototype 2056 D jet motor. switched to chrveron and shell and pistons, chambers ,cylinders are free of black build up
FourBlades

I keep getting this whitish/clear build up in my idle jet orifices until the cylinder
drops out and the car runs like crap.

I think it must be varnish or some kind of contamination that precipitates when the
fuel atomizes at the idle jet. This contamination that is dissolved in the gas is left
behind. When enough builds up, the car runs like crap. Clean it out and it runs
great again for 5 to 50 miles, then same thing again. There are never any
particles in my jets that can be captured, more like dried up toothpaste.

Gonna drain and completely clean my whole fuel system and start over with new
gas, new filters, new fuel lines?, and a whole new attitude. mad.gif

Once hurricane Irene is done having its way with Florida that is. Looking like it
might be a drive by for us.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.