Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Stuck Closed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
One of my lights is stuck in the closed position. relay is good, fuse is good. Was working then stopped at some point.
Not lined up to well. Any way to take it apart whiloe closed/

The crank manual open feature is BS; never worked.
FourBlades

Pull out the relay while dissassembling, watch your fingers!

I took mine apart when they were rusted shut. I think once you take the motor
off you can operate the headlight.

John
stugray
What do you mean the manual open feature does not work?

That knob (if it is still there) connects directly to the drive shaft of the motor.

If you cannot raise it with that, then the motor shaft is frozen.

If the knob is gone, I think an allen wrench fits in there.

Oh, and if you turn the manual up feature with the battery connected, it will go up then back down on it's own ;-)

Stu
7TPorsh
I think the knobs are long gone; have to look. But i remember it just screwing in like a screw. Screwed on and tightened and unscrewed it came off.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *

I think the knobs are long gone; have to look. But i remember it just screwing in like a screw. Screwed on and tightened and unscrewed it came off.

That is right, and it keeps you from turning the motor the wrong direction and getting kick back.

So, tighten up the knob and continue to turn. If it locks up and won't turn any more, the motor is frozen and you need a new one.

HOWEVER, as I am not sure of what it keeping it down, you might want to pull the side cover (Where the linkage goes), pull the rotating arm off and see if you can manually raise the headlight.

Good luck!
ripper911
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 22 2011, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *

That is right, and it keeps you from turning the motor the wrong direction and getting kick back.

So, tighten up the knob and continue to turn. If it locks up and won't turn any more, the motor is frozen and you need a new one.

HOWEVER, as I am not sure of what it keeping it down, you might want to pull the side cover (Where the linkage goes), pull the rotating arm off and see if you can manually raise the headlight.

Good luck!

I think on mine it goes the oppisite way, so that it is hard to open manually without twisting off the knob, but maybe my knobs have been replaced.

But either way, tighten the knob down good and twist it the way the arrow shows, if it loosens stop there and tighten it again and keep going.
VaccaRabite
If the motor is not FUBAR, the knobs will turn easily.
And remember to pull the relay!
The lights will still light with the relay gone, but the motor won't. Which means you can manually put it where you want it with the relay pulled.

Zach
7TPorsh
Re-hashing this thread since I haven't figured this out.

It's the passenger side. I took apart the whole assembly. The motor is unbolted but wired. Two of the three wires have power with the switch on but motor doesn't raise light. Motor doesn't work either way.

I can raise it by the knob and it cycles with the power... when the switch is off the motor lowers electrically but does not open with the switch on...so likes to stay closed.
Mike Bellis
Maybe the internal limit switches are Fuched up. May just need cleaning inside...
flash914
The knobs are left hand thread. Bruse Stone can sell you a couple if you need more. Look at the wiring diagrams on pelican parts. Three wires on top Red Gray Green/black. Red is power for relay, Green/black is down, Gray is up. When you pull the switch Gray goes hot and the motor spin untill the switch inside the gearbox opens. Look for a open in the gray wire. Check for power on both side of the car and compare side to side. Gordon

Eric_Shea
Screwed on and tightened and unscrewed it came off.

They only need to turn one direction. The headlight will cycle. If you're turning in the wrong direction they will come off.

If everything else checks out, remove the large flat plug by the motor and put 12V to the motor directly. That's about all that's left.
7TPorsh
Bumping this thread again.

I have managed to get all the lights working...the motors were also working perfectly.

then....DAMN....I did something under the dash: don't know what.

Now the lights all work perfectly but the motors don't work at all.

Knobs raise and lower with relays in...motors don;t take over. Almost like they have no power at all.

I know there are two hot lines going to the motors; BUT are there two power lines that go to the switch; one for the lights and one for the motors? Possibly I killed one power line to the switch??

Hours and hours trying to get this right; as well as chipping the hell out of my headlight covers and brows, and I had it and some stupid move I did while wiring something else f'd it up. Help
VaccaRabite
Check the fuses for the headlight motors.
They are on a different circuit then the lights themselves.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.