Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed limit on tha Autobahn?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
My wife tells me the powers that be are trying to impose a speed limit on the Autobahn... I guess it'd save me the cost of shipping my 914 V8 to germany after it's done smile.gif
Martin Baker
The 5 years I lived in Germany there was rumor, that was 1996 to 2001. It was said to be 130 KPH, about 82 miles per hour. In 2001, traffic where I was had gotten so heavy, it had made it hard to really impossible to really drive over 100 MPH, except on early Sunday mornings, and late at night. Then it was how ever fast your machine, and your personnel limit would take you. I miss it so much.
fiid
montana. it's closer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 9 2004, 06:01 PM)
My wife tells me the powers that be are trying to impose a speed limit on the Autobahn...

there are quite a few areas with a actual speedlimit on the autobahn.

130 kmh (~ 80mph) is the "suggested cruising speed" in the right lanes just to keep traffic flowing.
a lot of the AB is still "free for all". and yes, it is completely stupid and dangerous to try that during rush-hour on a crowded stretch.

has something to do with this "common sense" thing we've been talking a lot about lately ...
<_< Andy
scruz914
My experience on the Autobahn many years ago (1992+/-) in the Munich area was: rush hour slow, other times as conditions warrant. Word then was that there was going to be speed limits imposed. What I saw was, during the busy times there were electronic signs that displayed the proper speed limit for the conditions. Any other time was balls out. I would expect the same applies today.

In those years I clearly remember seeing a blur in my rear view mirror while I was in the far left lane going 120 mph in a MB 500. Naturally I pulled into the right while some bad ass P car screamed past me.

-Jeff
sechszylinder
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 9 2004, 05:59 PM)
there are quite a few areas with a actual speedlimit on the autobahn.

andy is right,

and the rest of the german autobahn has no speedlimit ...

btw: the world famous race track "AVUS" here in berlin, which is as well a part of the
german autobahn netz, has a speedlimit of 50 mph laugh.gif

benno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.