Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What a mess!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
I finally got my car home from Cali beerchug.gif . No voltage to the starter solenoid so I pull the pass. seat to take a look. The whole logic block is completely trashed! 3/4 of the wires terminals are corroded so badly that they aren't even attached to the block. The relays are rusted through. I don't even know where to start. I found what I think is the starter solenoid power lead, a thick yellow wire that gets power only when the key is turned to the start position. What do I need to splice this to to get the car to turn over? I got the fuel pump hooked up right (I think). Is there anything else I need to know?
dakotaewing
Ctrout,
If your car is a 74 or later, you should be able to connect the two large yellow wires, and you should be set to go at least in regard to the electrical under the seat.... take the other wires, tape them off, and move on.... This is all based on what I was recently told be a very reliable source...LOL

Thom
Ctrout
It is a 1974 1.8L. There is only one large yellow wire. There is another large wire yellow with red stripe. This one runs the fuel pump. Am I missing a wire?
dakotaewing
Those are the two yellow wires.... I discussed this w/Brad on Monday at the Parade...
I have a 74 which I am converting to a SBC302, and need to remove the harness to refirb the engine bay and interior.... I was VERY concerned aboout how I was going to remove the harness and keep track of all the wires that go into the junction... Brad said just to remove the wires from the junction, pull the harness, and upon re-installation, just connect the the 2 yellow wires, and be good to go....

Thom
Ctrout
O.K. I just tried that and my fuel pump now runs only when I turn the key to start. Starter still does not engage or turn.
dakotaewing
Ctrout,
I certainly am not the most knowledgable person regarding our cars on this board, but your
fuel pump should only be running when you turn power on the ignition system...
Thom
Ctrout
I checked the solid yellow wire with a meter. It gets voltage when the key is turned to the start position. When I apply power to the yellow wire with red stripe, the fuel pump runs. Thus when I connect these two wires together as suggested above, my fuel pump runs instead of the starter when I try to start the car.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Jul 9 2004, 08:36 PM)
I checked the solid yellow wire with a meter. It gets voltage when the key is turned to the start position. When I apply power to the yellow wire with red stripe, the fuel pump runs. Thus when I connect these two wires together as suggested above, my fuel pump runs instead of the starter when I try to start the car.

That's about right. The yellow/red wire feeds the relay board. IIRC a smaller yellow wire leads directly to the starter through the relay plug/board/plug.

The Logic relay under the seat is a bunch of crap, some wires lead off to the cabin light, and the yellow & yellow/red wires are the only important ones. I cut all mine out on the N6. Hanes manual is good for this.

Sounds like a broken switch, no ground, loose wire, or something.
Ctrout
I guess I'm just having a hard time explaining myself or something. I get power to the solid yellow wire when I turn the key to start but it doesn't go anywhere after that. I need to know which wire to tie it into to get the power to the solenoid. I can't tie it into the yellow and red one because that one runs my fuel pump. If I did that, I would only get fuel when I try to start the engine and the starter still won't crank. I guess I'll just go get myself a long piece of wire and make my own wire to tie into. I hate to do this when the correct wire has to be here somewhere but I'm getting frustrated with being dead in the water.
bondo
I have a 73, so I don't have any of that stuff... BUT, my fuel pump only runs for a second or two when I first turn on the key. After that it only runs when cranking or if the engine is running. Sounds like you might need to connect those wires, then check the relay board in the engine compartment and the starter.
Ctrout
Does the fuel pump run differently for D-jet vs L-jet?
bondo
Hmm, dunno. I've only messed with d-jet. I'm not qualified to be of any actual help, but it seems to me that if that logic block was that bad, perhaps the relay board is messed up too. It's common for the riveted connections to get corroded and break the circuit. I don't think any of the relays on the board relate to the starter, but I'm pretty sure the wire from the ignition switch passes through there, and that's all it would take. Sounds like it may be time to take a test light and see where the voltage stops, if it does (it'd probably be best to disconnect the wire from the starter so it doesn't start when you wiggle the connection that's funky)
Ctrout
Thanks for the help. Turns out that it was the right wire but there was another problem elsewhere. It cranks fine now and getting fuel but no spark so I'll be posting that as another question.
serge914
I agree with Thom. You should definitely have 2 big yellow wires if this is a 74, the second one going to the selenoid. I had exactly the same problem, connected them toghether and discarded all the others wires. If you have a L-jet, there is a switch in the air sensor box that give voltage to the fuel pump as soon as it see vacuum. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.