Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Production numbers by color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
So, did Porsche keep track of the production numbers by color? If not, are there educated guesses?
Bleyseng
Lots of yellow, orange and silver cars. Blue and green ones too. A few black ones and some white cars. Not too many metallics, less than a 1000 weird LE cars, a few special pink ones, a couple brown ones and not too many special order paint to match cars were made.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 9 2004, 09:37 PM)
Lots of yellow, orange and silver cars. Blue and green ones too. A few black ones and some white cars. Not too many metallics, less than a 1000 weird LE cars, a few special pink ones, a couple brown ones and not too many special order paint to match cars were made.

Geoff failed to mention that the above is a quote from a official statement from porsche regarding production numbers ...

wink.gif Andy
boxsterfan
Maybe we could have a section in our profile on this BBS where we could enter our color codes? It would be interesting to see the breakdown of color percentages (overall an year-by-year) for remaining 914's.

drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jul 10 2004, 06:18 PM)
Maybe we could have a section in our profile on this BBS where we could enter our color codes? It would be interesting to see the breakdown of color percentages (overall an year-by-year) for remaining 914's.

drunk.gif

great idea!
Bleyseng
Using the cars color code would be interesting. The current color would not, damn seemed like in the 80's the only color a Porsche 914 could be was effin Black.......

Geoff
boxsterfan
Agreed, I would want everyone to use the original color code on the car.

Otherwise, we'll end up with a bunch of Aubergines! jester.gif
davep
I've been working on this for years. I'll try to do a summary of the data I have. Still, it would be nice to take this opportunity and add more data to my files. The VIN, paint code, chassis number (from the Karmann badge) and the DOT date code (from the decal on the door jamb) would all be very useful. Engine code would also be interesting.
davep
This is my data so far. The black and the ivory are heavily weighted due to my abiding interest in the LE. Others may not be so well represented due to the color being descibed as red, yellow, blue or green.

90 L041 Black
2 L11D Berber Yellow
L11E Canary / Lemon Yellow
25 L13K Sun / Sunflower / Summer Yellow
9 L13M Saturn / Chrome Yellow
7 L20C Nepal Orange
14 L20E Signal Orange
3 L21E Tangerine / Blood Orange
6 L30C Malaga Red
13 L30E Bahia Red
3 L31M Scarlet / Ibiza Red
19 L32K Phoenix Red
L50C Laguna / Lagoon Blue
1 L50E Adriatic Blue
14 L51P Olympic Blue
4 L60E Irish Green
3 L63K Willow / Pasture / Meadow Green
10 L64K Zambezi / Forest Green
13 L65K Ravenna Green
71 L80E Light Ivory
1 L95K Metallic Palma Green
9 L96B Metallic Alaska / Ocean Blue
20 L96D Metallic Silver
2 L96E Metallic Gemini Blue
6 L96M Metallic Marathon Blue
L96N Metallic Viper Green
10 L97A Metallic Diamond Silver
2 L97B Metallic Ancona Blue
L97D Metallic Red / Colorado
L97H Metallic Gold
L97P Metallic Green
L98P Metallic Blue
4 L99A Metallic Delphi Green / Saturn / Chrome Yellow
4 L99K Metallic Copper
4 98 Color of Choice previously used VW or Porsche #
Martin Baker
markb
My 70 was originally Metallic Red. I thought it was only offered the one year. Is the Colorado the same exact color? What years was it available?
Andy
VERY off topic but this stills cracks me up so here goes!

Anybody remember the promotion Porsche did in the early 90's, "We asked our engineers to come up with their favorite colors..." thing? a couple years after that my dad was looking for convertible, we went to check out another car and they had the bright torquise 911 from the commercial (according to the dealer one of three). It had only picked up a few thousand miles, and as I understood it, the thing never really sold, just wandered around dealerships who thought it would sell easily. They were asking about 60% of blue book for it, and dad damn near bought it... But it was SO UGLY! We left with an XJS, and I learned what truly hard-to-work on car is...

But what was hilarious to me is when I started talking to the sales guys about that 911, that is what always happened to the thing - anyone really looking at it didn't have the heart to have the limited edition repainted, and no-one was willing to live with the fugly color, so it roamed the dealerships... Searching for a home... Damn it was ugly though.
davep
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 11 2004, 01:53 PM)
My 70 was originally Metallic Red. I thought it was only offered the one year. Is the Colorado the same exact color? What years was it available?

1970 only. Yes the one and only metallic red.
I have what I think is a complete list now. One of the admins is going to post it in the INFO section when they get the chance.
boxsterfan
Very cool. Now, just watch for the member who posts an L80 with green accents. monkeydance.gif

Did anything ever turn up on the possible elusive Grasshopper spotted in Michigan (I think). wub.gif
East coaster
L97G must be rare, I can't find pics any where except for this one. My "new" car is L97G under a bunch of red crap paint.
East coaster
|
|
Why would you do this to that ??? |
boxsterfan
That is a very cool color. Hope you get a chance to take yours back to that original color.

Color change cars should be illegal. tongue.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jul 11 2004, 05:28 PM)
L97G must be rare, I can't find pics any where except for this one. My "new" car is L97G under a bunch of red crap paint.

Mine was the same colour under several coats of paint. Now it is a nice chrome yellow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.