Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Guy with Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
russtee54
I have recently aquired a 73 914 with 2.0 FI. It has set up for a while but has been covered in a garage. I am going to bring it back to life and have one question. As I have 4 VWs including 1 type 4 bus, will a set of Empi 4lug wheels fit on a 4 lug 914. The car has 3 of the factory wheels like I have seen in some pictures and 1 VW wheel installed. I want to move it to a better place (My Garage)and I have the aforementioned wheels and would like to put them on. Is that Kosher or should I just try to find the missing wheel. I am new to the whole Porsche scene but I am familiar with the 2.0 FI cause thats the engine in my Type 4 bus. I have worked on VWs for about 12 years and I am expanding my Hobby.
ezbngreen914
welcome.png I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to welcome you to the 914 Ward of the German auto mental institution. I'm a reletively new 914 owner myself and this site has been invaluable. I'm sure you'll have several answers within the next couple of hours. I'm also sure everyone would love to see some photos of you 914... and VWs too. I would love to have a bus. Good luck!
russtee54
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentHere are some of my others. Fran is the 67 bug w/65 fenders, Baby is the 73 Super, Beezelbes is the 72 Campmobile camper bus. As soon as I get the 914 out from under cover and back into the light, I,ll post some pics of her.
Mike Bellis
Same bolt pattern, different offset. You will have to try them to check for good fit.

welcome.png
russtee54
Okay, Thanks I am going to try and move it this weekend and as the tires that I have are pretty new and already mounted to the Empis I wanted to replace the ones on the car that are dry-rotted.
euro911
Stock-ish 165's will pose no problem even if the offset of the wheel is for VW bug ... and depending on the tire's width profile, on up to 195's typically fit just fine.

The rear track is a little wider than the front, and wider tires could rub on the insides [of one or both sides] of the wheel well lips. Rolling a baseball bat between the tire and the lip(s) usually solves that problem.

Here's my wife's car with VW bug offset EMPI's and 165's:

Click to view attachment

... and welcome.png
russtee54
Thats exactly what I have. Thank you. Where did you get the center caps?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(russtee54 @ Aug 23 2011, 07:25 AM) *

Ya, Where fif you get the centers?
Oh and welcome.png
EdwardBlume
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Tom_T
The EMPI & Western wheels with the VW offset will only fit up to 165s on the rear wheel well.

You can use them to move it, then hunt down either the missing 2 Fuchs 2L wheels (originally 5 in a set including spare) or a full set & sell the odd 3 of yours. They'll have the proper offset for wider 195/65R15 & larger tires if you choose them, are lighter than just about any others (10.1 lbs. IIRC each) and look great on narrow body 914/4's IMHO.

welcome.png

Nice Bus & Dubs BTW!
euro911
I currently have a set of Rivieras (with VW offset) on my '75 914. They have 185/60's and they don't rub on the rear wheel well lips (but then again, the lips have been rolled under).

The 914 they came from did rub a little on the rear, as evidenced by small gouges on the outer diameter of the tires. Be aware that some 914's have wider 'gaps' between the suspension components and the fenders on one side or the other - from the factory. Each car has the possibility of being 'slightly different'. confused24.gif

Also, individual manufacturers' tire widths vary, even if they're listed as the same exact size, so it's good to do a little research before purchasing.

As for the center caps, IIRC I purchased them from a seller on eBay (ISP West?), but I've seen them available at a couple of local tire stores, as well as a few local VW Bug/Bus aftermarket stores. I purchased the Porsche 'stick-on' inserts on eBay as well (Adante)?
russtee54
Thank-you. Your experiences and info are greatly appreciated. This is my first Porshe and I am hoping all goes smoothly.
76-914
Isn't that David Koresh's old VW? lol-2.gif welcome.png
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2011, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(russtee54 @ Aug 23 2011, 07:25 AM) *

Ya, Where fif you get the centers?
Oh and welcome.png

welcome.png

I also have the 8 spoke empi, I have 195/55 tires, were pretty tight until we rolled the lip under, and I have those caps with the emblem. Got those from autombile atlanta. Also saw them on the samba site. Bolt pattern is a 4x130 some like bonds tv had 4x100 or 4x110

You should be fine.

Phil
russtee54
Thanks again, and David was my cousin. Just kiddin lol.WACO: We Ain't Comin out.
Drums66
QUOTE(russtee54 @ Aug 23 2011, 03:15 PM) *

Thank-you. Your experiences and info are greatly appreciated. This is my first *_Porshe_*and I am hoping all goes smoothly.

.....I can tell happy11.gif poke.gif Welcome to the World
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.