Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New or Old cars - how do you decide?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dion9146
This question really has a couple of purposes, and I know if nothing else I'll get opinions out of you guys. After 18 years of 914 ownership across three different cars, stock, race, and highly modified street, I find myself constantly looking at other P-cars these days. Call it boredom, needing something different, whatever, I'm getting close to selling the little red beast.

But back to my question, and forgive me for maybe thinking out loud on this topic. I'm having a debate with myself, and I need other neurotic car nuts to chime in. blink.gif

I consider the 914 to be one of those 'tweener' cars. Old enough to feel like an old car, but still modern enough to feel, well, modern too. I've grown up with old cars my entire life. I enjoy restoring old cars. In 1983, my first car was a 1952 Ford custom, and so it started. But....career, kids, and life in general don't allow a lot of time to work on cars these days, so I'm grateful for having a bulletproof teener that I can generally just get in and drive whenever I want. But, I still find myself looking at older cars - almost picked up a restorable 356 a few months back, I have this thing for early 912s, etc. Restoration costs aside, there is something magical about a restoration that I enjoy.

Then.....I have lots of friends with newer iron. A nice newer Boxster S or 997 would do the trick. I'd still have that reliability I enjoy, and I actually like the newer designs. A friend of mine just picked up a 2005 911 with the aero package, wheels, etc. The car is sweet, and he picked it up for a heck of a deal.

So at the risk of getting a bunch of 914-centric responses, which way do you lean - new or old? By the way, this isn't really a performance question. I know I will give up a lot by getting rid of my car, but for me that's not what it's about anymore.

Dion

Click to view attachment OR Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I also have an emotional draw to the old cars, and love to restore them. There is a certain magic to the old metal.

For daily drivers, I do appreciate the modern cars, but have no real affection for them. Also, with all the electronics and computers in new cars, I don't think they will ever be restorable once they do go south. Can you repair a 286 computer these days (never mind why would you want to)?
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
I like a modern car for a daily milage sponge and an old car for recreation.

Look at what is happening to the 928s. The electrics are slowly going south and are very expensive to repair. Id just as soon avoid the electronics where possible.

Zach
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 23 2011, 09:57 AM) *

agree.gif
dflesburg
I just love cars! Old or new fast or slow. I don't even seem to care anymore, I even love driving around in my 83 Scirocco.

I am really sick and need a 12 step program.
matthepcat
There is plenty of fun in modification and tuning of new cars. It is amazing how modern technology makes it easy to gain power. I spent a few years after college modifying and tuning my wrx. It's pretty cool to have daily driver reliability but still have fun trying different suspension set-ups and bolt on power options. Just like the 914 community, the modern cars have alot of fun events to actually take your car on the track. It is in general a younger crowd, and less people doing unique things.
biosurfer1
I've long thought car restoration is a dying art. Hell, even my 03 Tacoma, which is hardly an electric wonder, would be a nightmare to try and restore simply because of all the computers/electronics/etc on it.

Who knows, maybe in 40 years everyone around will be able to fix circuit boards as a hobby but it sure doesn't seem like it now.

I LOVE having a modern, reliable in addition to my 914....best of both worlds.
dion9146
Well, I think we are all sick or we wouldn't be playing with cars to begin with. Sometimes I actually envy my friends that aren't into the car thing. Their lives are so simple, constantly doing chores around the house and playing golf.....wait, what the hell I'm I thinking?! smile.gif

Ya know, the electronics thing never crossed my mind. Even though my Motronic is pretty simple, and the rest of the 914's wiring isn't very complex, the newer cars are frightening. There is something to be said for carbs, coils, and distributors. Gas fire and air - gotta be one of the above if something goes wrong.

I've always been amazed at the old guys that take their 356's or 912s across country to a show. But think about it, unless the bottom end of the engine is toast already or it throws a rod, it's pretty easy to diagnose and fix most issues on the road. Not sure I can say the same about modern FI most of the time.
76-914
Believe it or not, for me it is the people that come with the cars. Do I want to pal around w/ the Rolex c*** s****rs or the Slits, Joe Sharps and DrEvil types. It's a no brainer for me. I love this crowd. wub.gif
carr914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Aug 23 2011, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 23 2011, 09:57 AM) *

I like a modern car for a daily mileage sponge and an old car for recreation.

agree.gif

agree.gif , even though my DD Ricer is 13 Years Old
dion9146
I get the new car, daily driver thing. I've tried the old car daily driver thing. It's fun while it lasts, but this is all about the toy car with this question at hand. It's about a car that can sit on jackstands for days, months, years if it has to, whether it's new or not.

I do tend to gravitate towards the restorer/old car guys more. Probably a lot to do with my upbringing.
JRust
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 23 2011, 07:58 AM) *

Believe it or not, for me it is the people that come with the cars. Do I want to pal around w/ the Rolex c*** s****rs or the Slits, Joe Sharps and DrEvil types. It's a no brainer for me. I love this crowd. wub.gif

agree.gif . I love our community in general. Still I love my 914's. Obviously I am not a purist either. I am really liking the suby conversions. It gives it a modern drivetrain & fuel economy. Along with more power than stock. You can add A/C easy enough too for those that want it. While I won't do a conversion on a nice stock car. I have no problems doing them on ones that have been messed with before. Kind of the best of both worlds confused24.gif . Or maybe not the best but a nice combination of new & old biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 23 2011, 06:57 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

Same here, the newer Jetta is for daily driving and the 914 is for the fun stuff. There's no reason you can't have both.
biggrin.gif
BajaXJ92
My '71 is my daily driver, which is good and bad. It certainly gets me off of my ass when something is broken and needs immediate attention so I can get to work the next day. I guess being a younger guy I can manage it a little better. confused24.gif

It is, however, getting very old testing myself on how quick I can pull the trans, do this, that etc. I guess I'll be well seasoned if I ever join a race team... driving.gif
Scott S
There is nothing I enjoy more than morking on a car that does NOT have to get me to work in the morning.

So many people are so completely clueless and disrespectful of other peoples cars/property that even if I ever did have 10 million in the bank, I would still have a reliable, non discript, plane jane, air conditioned daily driver (probably a truck) that I can park pretty much anywhere at any time without worry.

If I was driving a toy/fun car everyday, I think it would actually make it less of a thrill to drive. I love looking forward to that great day where the DD sits at home (even for an hour or so) I pull the top off of the car and dissapear for a bit. Kinda like Christmas. If Christmas came everyday, it would just be like any other day.

I still cant believe my Dad commuted everyday from Newport to downtown LA in his 914-6. I know traffic was less back then and AC was still a luxury - but still. I would be way to much of a wuss.
jrb44
I really love my 1970 914 and all of the early 911's, but for my daily driver I have a 25 year newer 1995 993 that now has 117 K on the odo with nice comfort features like power steering, power brakes, cruise control and an A/C that actually blows cold air.
Best part is I have stayed true to my air-cooled Porsche roots and with a few suspension upgrades I did on the car, it still kicks ass on the wasser pumper 911's at the track once or twice a month.
ripper911
Do like me, use the 914 as the DD, then have another old car for backup.
I used to use the VW as a backup, but I've neglected it because of the 914, I was thinking of selling it but I may get it back in shape to use when the teeners down.
dion9146
Using a 914 as a DD is a no-go where I live. We may be in the South, but we still get snow! And no, I'm not going to drive a 3.2 powered, flared, wide tired, stiff suspension-ed 914 as an everyday driver in the snow.

I like Scott's thought process. I have used the 914 as a Summer DD a few times this year, and honestly, I got tired of it real quick. The fun factor wears off when all you need to do is go from one client meeting to another, and the only thing you could ever want in life is air conditioning. That could be when the thought of a newer Porsche started creeping into my noggin......

About 10 years ago I owned a 1988 BMW M5. That was a wonderful car and in very good shape for its age at the time. But, just like every other older car, things started to go wrong. Switches, exhaust, engine seals, onboard computer, engine mgmt system, etc., etc., etc. I started feeling like I owned a 944 again, and I grew to hate working on it. That's also when I decided my DD would never be a 'classic' ever again.

So back to the toy car - sandblasting, or carnuba waxing, that is the question....
SGB
I use a 91 BMW 318is as DD. It;s not new by any sence, but it is a real cult car, great fun to drive, good AC, decent MPG, power windows and locks and CHEAP. Cheap to buy. Cheap to insure. Easy to work on- much easier than the 914. Came in 3 colors. My drivers door got damaged. I Got a used door same color as mine for $80, and put it on on 30 minutes.
Its not fast, but almost as fast as my 2.0. Better brakes. A different but great balance. And all the German car sickos willl know your a zombie too!
draganc
for fun? go with a old car. i haven't seen another 914 around me (except Hersey) for at least 3 years. however, boxter and 911, 10 a day.
my buddy just picked up a new 911C4S. great car and performer, however, it's too boring for me.
okieflyr
I like the older stuff because it has soul and character. I hear you when you say you'd like something to work on, but I also hear you longing for something with a/c.

The newer model (Boxster?)can be alot of fun with the elements of what you have now. and with comforts that are not unreasonable for a daily driver on occaision. I think what you'll miss is the soul of your 914 or 912 after awhile ( a year or two).

Can you keep the 914 and play with both?

dion9146
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 23 2011, 11:51 PM) *

Can you keep the 914 and play with both?

Garage space......
JawjaPorsche
In addition to my teener which is not a DD, I have two Troopers with over 250K miles. You can halfway figure out what is wrong with them without having a degree in electrical engineering. Plus no car payments, low insurance, low tag fees, plus I don't mind if I get a scratch on it!
dion9146
I think I have the perfect DD right now for sure. My Jetta tdi still looks and rives like it's a new car. I still get 50 mpg, and she is just getting broken in at 109K on the clock. I had a client get into it just the other day and he asked if the car was new.....I may never sell it. smile.gif

The Honda Pilot on the other hand is starting to disappoint. We bought it for the Honda quality moniker, but I've already replaced the heater control switch, inner tie rods, outers need changed, and the left universal joint is starting to go bad. And, the rear brakes have been giving me issues for the last few months. not the quality I expected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.