Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Hoses Connected Wrong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I'm not absolutely positive I have all the hoses connected correctly on the 2.0. Even with all the available digrams & pictures a few connections are left to the imagination such as the black plastic tubes coming from the charcoal cannister & the other thingy. How can you tell which black tube is going to what (cannister or other thingy)? or does it matter? I think the PCV may need cleaning & have read where this might cause too much pressure and force oil into the burnable places thus causing smoke. Then, again, it may just be my valve guides, eh?
Am I on the right track?

.......b
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Jul 9 2004, 10:11 PM)
such as the black plastic tubes coming from the charcoal cannister & the other thingy.

as far as i know, it doesn't matter.

on side takes air from your engine fan (right side of fanshroud) and pumps it to the canister where it picks up gas-vapors and the other hose goes to the air-cleaner where the fumes are burned.
should work vice-versa.

wink.gif Andy
SLITS
I haven't fixed mine as yet, but when I hook up the crankcase breather to the plenum as specified I turn into one of those WWII Navy ships that laid down the oil smoke curtain to hide everyone else. ohmy.gif

One of these days I'll actually try to figure out what's going on. wacko.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 10 2004, 08:36 AM)
I haven't fixed mine as yet, but when I hook up the crankcase breather to the plenum as specified I turn into one of those WWII Navy ships that laid down the oil smoke curtain to hide everyone else. ohmy.gif

One of these days I'll actually try to figure out what's going on. wacko.gif

Is that constant or just on decel? Mine just on decel, especially after running at 4000+ for 5 minutes or more.
Then I too look like I'm foging for mosquitoes <_<

.....b
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 10 2004, 08:36 AM)

make sure you got the right filler cap for your model ...

IF your filler cap does NOT have a PCV valve (early style 1.7) and you connect it to the plenum, it'll suck MUCHO oil vapors right out of your engine and into the intake!
on early style fillers, you must connect the vent hose to the air-cleaner TOP, not to the plenum.

on late style fillers (with a working PCV valve) it is correct to connect the vent hose to the plenum.

just FYI,
wink.gif Andy
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2004, 01:24 PM)

on late style fillers (with a working PCV valve) it is correct to connect the vent hose to the plenum.

just FYI,
wink.gif Andy

Well, at least I got that right cool.gif

...........b
tod914
Bruce I have a diagram of a 75-76 I can fax you. Not sure what year your car is. 75 diagram is abit different than 73-74
SLITS
Thanks Andy smilie_pokal.gif - I pulled another and cleaned the PCV but haven't installed it as yet.

It sucks a bunch of oil - closed the throttle from about 2000 rpm - takes about 15 mins or so to clear the plenum - and blows oil out the exhaust - liquid, along with the major fog.

Currently have mine connected to air cleaner to avoid distrubing the mosquitos. biggrin.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 10 2004, 08:47 PM)
Bruce I have a diagram of a 75-76 I can fax you. Not sure what year your car is. 75 diagram is abit different than 73-74

Thanks Tod, I have a 74 2.0 in a 73 that used to have a Cali 1.7. I've looked at the photo diagram and the diagram drawing. Just cleaned the PCV valve this afternoon and cleaned up the AAR with some PB Blaster. The AAR checked out & so did the PCV. I'll run it in the morning. I may need to re check the diagrams.

Slits, when you pull hoses do you plug them or leave them open? I'm temped to do that just to see if it helps stop foging for mosquitos rolleyes.gif

..........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.