Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74' or 75'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914momo
I jus bought a fairly decent tub,and I think it's a 74 due to the production date of 12/74........But the vin is 4752906666. Is it really a 75?

What are some differences between a 74 & 75?

How do I determin if it is a 1.8 or 2.0 car ?
EdwardBlume
Congratulations, you own a '75 based on the VIN. Most cars have a production date in the prior year because a) the '75s came out in 1974, and cool.gif it probably made it to the US and sold sometime in '75.

The major differences between the '74 and '75 are the front and rear bumpers, potential interior changes, and potential smog equipment. You should be able to tell the engine size by the engine serial number or by the type of airbox and vacuum conntections. The 2.0 is a GA case in most circumstances.
914momo
Well I bought the car for a 100 bucks minus the engine,so I cant look at the engine is ther any other way?

Yup, this car came with some big ol rubber bumpers (damn their ugly) I have a nice set of chrome bumpers without holes to go on it.......
EdwardBlume
Without the motor or tranny you can't really tell. You could go get the original production list for the car but for $100 its probably not worth the effort. To put on your early bumpers, you'll neet to take out or cut the funky bumper springs, and cut the bent lip on the front chassis.
914momo
I pulled the rubber bumpers off today,I didn't see any springs.there's a 3 bolt pattern bracket welded to a shaft that go's through the front/rear then bolts to bumper..........Where is the lip located/
EdwardBlume
Yep, the bracket needs to go. The lip is on the top front of the chassis. It runs all the way across the chassis. If you take your 70-74 bumper and try and fit it to the car, the lip you need to cut off will become apparent.
914momo
aha I know what lip your talkin bout it runs along the top.I have a 72 914 and everything on the 72 is being transfered to the 74 tub...Because my 72's hell hole is obliterated, but the rest of the car is pretty nice.............
EdwardBlume
You mean '75 tub laugh.gif
914momo
LOL.........No, when i'm done it will be a 72 914, because I have no title for the 75' happy11.gif
EdwardBlume
I'm there with you - KEEP EM ON THE ROAD! rocking nana.gif
914momo
shhhh..... Don't tell nobody happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
Bleyseng
The 75 should have a rear badge plate to tell you what kind of car it was. It should say 914 2.0 or 914 1.8.
or if that is removed above the relay board should be a emission sticker that says:Displacement 120ci or whatever.

Geoff
scotty
LOL.........No, when i'm done it will be a 72 914, because I have no title for the 75'

...plus you'll get to skip DEQ (if your part of Canby is in the "wrong" area). But don't get caught with the wrong VIN! Highly unrecommended Buy a title to be safe.

You may have some trouble with the passenger seat unless the one in your '72 is movable. What color is your "new" '72?

If the car still has the wiring, check to see if you have seatbelt interlock crap (under the passenger seat). That'll tell you how early the car really is. Didn't 50-state 2.0's all have a cat, or was that just CA cars? I know the '75 1.8's had no emissions crap -- at least mine didn't, and DEQ never complained smile.gif

Having a '74 is much nicer, though, no smog check required! wink.gif
spare time toys
OMG Check your last numbers....ITS THE DEVIL CAR devil.gif get rid of it fast happy11.gif
914momo
Scotty the DEQ cut off is right across the street from my house so i'm safe (no DEQ for me) biggrin.gif

How do I purchase a title, or is that the same as filing for a lost title?
Yes both seats in my 72' are moveable,and my new teener is black but needs major body work (lots o' bondo) YUCK.......It does have that seat belt interlock crap can I scrap that ,or do i need to keep it....
scotty
Scotty the DEQ cut off is right across the street from my house so i'm safe (no DEQ for me)

Lucky....

Well, depending on the body, you have two types of title you can get:

a slavage title

-or-

a reconstructed title

You probably want the salvage title. I imagine they charge you the same fee as that for a new car (whatever that is) plus a fee for new plates.

Lucky on the seats wink.gif Just cross the fat yellow wires and you can ignore all the other crap. Sell the seat cushions on ebay as "rare heated 914 seat cushions" biggrin.gif

It sounds like you've got a heck of a project to work on, have fun! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.