Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
whats this for? (arrow)
914momo
Mine just has a chrome plug.Other then that I don't have a clue............. confused24.gif
opera guy
so now im MISSING a chrome plug, dammit blink.gif
wheelo
Yes, that is for the towing "eye-bolt", it came in OE tool kits. Idea was to screw in, then attach tow rope/strap, to help get you back onto the road !!
Trekkor
There is a heavy guage eyelet that threads into there for "towing". I don't know what you might tow.

Maybe useta pull ya outta da weeds if'n you plow offa da road dare. monkeydance.gif

Another good use would be to fasten the car to a trailer from that point with a turnbuckle or ratchet strap.

KT
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 10 2004, 05:04 AM)
Another good use would be to fasten the car to a trailer from that point with a turnbuckle or ratchet strap.

The mount might be strong enough, but I wouldn't use it for that purpose. The screw eye that goes there is definiitely not strong enough. It's only good for a straight pull.

What I want to know is the purpose for the threaded hole inside the rear trunk. It's in the reinforced area above the left trannny mount & has the same threads as the tow hook IIRC. It doesn't seem like a good place to store the hook though.
davep
Probably to stow the spare tire when the front trunk cannot be used for it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 10 2004, 03:42 AM)
What I want to know is the purpose for the threaded hole inside the rear trunk.

that is the alternate spare-tire stowage location.
the threads match the hold-down bolt used in the front trunk.

i found the tow eye VERY useful in getting my car out from between the outbuildings where i'd stashed in in NV - but for the really serious pulling up the ramp and into the trunk, i wrapped chain around the trailing arms.

which reminds me - i need to replace my belt towing eye ...
don9146
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 10 2004, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 10 2004, 03:42 AM)
What I want to know is the purpose for the threaded hole inside the rear trunk.

that is the alternate spare-tire stowage location.
the threads match the hold-down bolt used in the front trunk.

You are correct sir! The 914 has 2 trunks, but both are shallow. If a "tall" item needed to be carried in the car, you could move the spare tire from the front trunk to the rear trunk to gain some storage height.
Another simple but clever design touch from the Porsche engineers, or are all clever ideas simple wink.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.