Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ...did you feel that?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
all seems to be well....TBD
did call home; family and garage still intact biggrin.gif
balljoint
USGS says VA, 5.9 right now, I felt it north of Toronto.
scotty b
Centerd in Mineral under the Surry nuclear power plant blink.gif blink.gif unsure.gif I got a good shake at the shop. I was sitting in the front bagging some paint samples and watching the Volvo bouncing around
type47
Rock and RRROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 23 2011, 02:25 PM) *

Centerd in Mineral under the Surry nuclear power plant blink.gif blink.gif unsure.gif I got a good shake at the shop. I was sitting in the front bagging some paint samples and watching the Volvo bouncing around

Glad you're okay. We felt it up here too.

Watch out for zombies. This is when they come out.
balljoint
Wait a minute. How do we know that it really is Scotty typing the replies?

Maybe it is a Scotty-Zombie?

A Nukular-Scotty-Zombie!

Oh dear.
BajaXJ92
Felt it very well down here in Va Beach. I wonder if my car is still parked in the same spot....
zymurgist
Felt it here in Frederick, MD.
ArtechnikA
Pretty good shake here just West of Philadelphia.
Ho-hum.
Silly East-Coasters evaculated the building, I gathered up my stuff and left too. Got out in time to go back in.

30 years in SoCal, was 1/2-mi from Northridge in 1994 (6.9).
5.9 will get your attention, but it takes more than that to get me excited...
windforfun
Felt something here in CA.
FlatSix
Didn't feel a thing here in England either!
JawjaPorsche
Was felt in north Georgia mountains!
underthetire
5.9 would almost wake us up !
Cupomeat
Yeah, felt it on the 25th floor of our Manhattan building. Nothing much but about 30 sec of undulation.

People were concerned, but in NYC you look to see if an airplane hit your building before you think it might be an earthquake.
Nozzle
Well our august leadership in DC definitely felt something. Last I heard the Capital and Pentagon were completely evacuated. You know how scary those terrorist earthquakes can be... unsure.gif

Where do we find such men...
BMITCHELL
I heard it messed up somebody playing golf while they were on vacation laugh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 23 2011, 12:18 PM) *

Look it all works out.

Ca gets 30 second quakes, that destroy buildings, roads and belongings

the midwest gets 30 minute tornadoes, that devastate anythjing within its range

east coast gets 3 hour hurricanes, that topple trees, flood rivers, rip roofs off, and desimate beach front properties

and Canada gets the french
campbellcj
I am a SoCal native but happen to be in DC right now. I was in the ginormous Reagan building near the Pentagon this morning but when the quake hit, I was in the new Gaylord National Harbor conference center...which has a 100 foot high glass wall facing the river.

Amazingly nothing broke but we were evacuated outdoors for 2 hours and the staff seemed ill-prepared for anything like that. No alarms, no radios for most of the security guards, etc. There are two conferences going on here and the 2,000 room hotel is nearly full.

All is well now. Could be aftershocks tonight which will freak-out these folks even more.
76-914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 23 2011, 01:18 PM) *

agree.gif Hell, Slits farts bigger than that.
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 23 2011, 05:13 PM) *

and Canada gets the french

laugh.gif

Too bad about Scotty; he was gud.

Glad Zombie Scottie is still posting though.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 23 2011, 05:18 PM) *

Could be aftershocks tonight which will freak-out these folks even more.

As i expect you know (but the East-Coasters won't, probably...) for every earthquake magnitude 'n', expect n-1 * 10^(n-n) aftershocks of magnitude n-1, n-2 * 10^(n-(n-1)) shocks of magnitude n-2 and so forth... (below 2 is generally imperceptible...)

So - for a 5, expect 4 4's, 30 3's, 200 2's and like that.
I'd guess we'll feel at least one noticeable aftershock, although I hear this was a 'shallow' quake and there may not be as much residual stress as a big, ddep one...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2011, 02:12 PM) *

Pretty good shake here just West of Philadelphia.
Ho-hum.
Silly East-Coasters evaculated the building, I gathered up my stuff and left too. Got out in time to go back in.

30 years in SoCal, was 1/2-mi from Northridge in 1994 (6.9).
5.9 will get your attention, but it takes more than that to get me excited...

Similar in Baltimore.
I was in the middle of a meeting. Room started bouncing, and a coworker got white knuckled on the table. I told him to relax, it was only a baby quake and went on with the meeting. We did not evac (though other buildings in Baltimore did), though we got word that we could leave at 4 if we wanted - so I did. It was amusing.

my wife got caught in DC. She still is not home. sad.gif All the trains are backed up and they evacuated all the buildings.

Zach
timofly
Interrupted lunch. Spilled my beer on 38th floor of CMP. Bummer...

No big deal compared to Sept 11, 2001. I had to laugh when the building security PA said "no danger, stay in your offices" Just like the PANY announcements in Tower 2 on that morning. The shake was nothing, but THAT announcement worried me.
draganc
nada in central NJ. however, my buddy called me from the shore and he felt it.
scotty b
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2011, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 23 2011, 05:18 PM) *

Could be aftershocks tonight which will freak-out these folks even more.

As i expect you know (but the East-Coasters won't, probably...) for every earthquake magnitude 'n', expect n-1 * 10^(n-n) aftershocks of magnitude n-1, n-2 * 10^(n-(n-1)) shocks of magnitude n-2 and so forth... (below 2 is generally imperceptible...)

So - for a 5, expect 4 4's, 30 3's, 200 2's and like that.
I'd guess we'll feel at least one noticeable aftershock, although I hear this was a 'shallow' quake and there may not be as much residual stress as a big, ddep one...

4.2 aftershock registerd somewhere around 8:05 p.m.
campbellcj
Here's a pic of where I was. Massive wall and ceiling of glass - needless to say they are keeping everyone away from it now.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ Aug 23 2011, 02:42 PM) *

Wait a minute. How do we know that it really is Scotty typing the replies?

Maybe it is a Scotty-Zombie?

A Nukular-Scotty-Zombie!

Oh dear.

scuze me.
Lou W
blink.gif
jonferns
Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
We call those aftershocks here in my part of the world biggrin.gif We usually have a few of those small quakes like 5 - 6 times a week...you get use to them after a while.........maybe its time I move away from this place I am in now (Japan)
JmuRiz
It was kind of odd on the 12th floor here...funny to see people just panic and bolt for the doorway.

I honestly thought a trunk bumped the building or something...until it kept shaking for a few seconds.

Supposedly there were aftershocks, but I sure didn't feel any.
tomeric914
Data from the USGS and ability for you to report here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/
Drums66
....Hope everyone was OK back there.....can you feel us?(west coast) poke.gif
bye1.gif
benalishhero
Girl friend felt it at work a block away. I didn't feel a thing. Musta been workin too hard. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 24 2011, 10:37 AM) *

Data from the USGS and ability for you to report here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/

I filed a report 10 minutes after the quake. And let me tell you, I wasn't shy about it either.
flipb
I live in Northern Virginia but didn't feel a thing... because I was in the UK visiting my sister.

Arrived home tonight, and found this raw, uncensored carnage. Those with weak stomachs may wish to skip this image:

Click to view attachment

Yes, that car was in the center of the base when we left town.

Oh, the humanity!!
whatabout1
We felt it at Lake Norman !

A tsunumi was reported (1"), but the dam held and nuclear power plant didn't melt.
It must have been fun in the power plant control room !!! Wonder if they scram'ed the reactors.

I heard the quake cracked the Washingtom Monument and now Irene will blow it over !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.