Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Wife wants a MINI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So that means wife gets a MINI. wacko.gif She flat told me she will never drive my 914 then waited for me to argue. (she is still waiting) laugh.gif

So a MINI it is and I put my foot down rolleyes.gif a John Cooper Works version it must be. So here is the question:

Do you guys think that the JCW cars will become something close to Shelby cars. I mean this is on the order of OMNI GLHS and Daytona GLHS. These were pretty cool back in 86. Rare to see one these days as they just got used up and thrown away like a BIC lighter. Coopers have been around for a long time now the new mini is gaining some sort of following. I doubt that a JCW Cooper will ever get to the Ford Shelby status. But.... my crystal ball is on the fritz. I was looking at a Monti Carlo edition that is limited to 1000 cars production.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 10 2004, 03:06 AM)
I was looking at a Monti Carlo edition that is limited to 1000 cars production.

I like it. http://www.eupbus.com/ca/4m897g/page1.html
Joe Ricard
Yup thats the one. although no mention of JCW package. I have a question submitted to the dealer
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 10 2004, 03:42 AM)
Yup thats the one. although no mention of JCW package. I have a question submitted to the dealer

I guess unless your getting the super charged Edition the performance is good but not neck snapping. The Mini was almost my fisrt new car purchase. I was #69 on the local dealer list. The thing you will notice is how nice the doors sound when you close them. They sound just like the BMW. wub.gif I think a limited edition model will hold it's value. And as cool as the GLH is it's still a Dodge Omni. barf.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 10 2004, 03:06 AM)
... a John Cooper Works version it must be...

Do you guys think that the JCW cars will become something close to Shelby cars.

Mini's are quite fun and this: Mini2 Forum is a site much like 914Club for them; check it out.

we have a Mini Cooper S development car, and we're just about to beta our vehicle diagnostic system.

the JCW cars don't seem to have much of a reputation among the Mini-II owners; they seem to be akin to paying big bucks for a "Type-R" sticker and a few lukewarm performance enhancements. i certainly wouldn't pay a premium for one now, and i wouldn't expect that situation to improve. (but this is just my opinion, and i could well be wrong ...) i think real Mini enthusiasts will continue to find quirky value in the 'original' Mini ...

(then again there are those who feel 914 LE cars are more than the sum of the cosmetic parts and worth a substantial premium. could go either way ...)

i -do- think the 'S' is the way to go, tho ...

so - short answer - from my perspective - no.
go poke around on the MINI-2 forum - maybe even register there and ask this question (after checking to see if it hasn't been asked before - i bet it has ...) there, and see what those guys & gals think.

but it's your money, do what you want.
crash914
I was planning on test driving one today....the wife thinks that they are cute... wacko.gif

The one for sale near me is not an "S" though.....I won't get one unless it is....

I was also going to test the VW TDI's....I just think that it would be cool to make your own bio diesel.....

confused24.gif
PatW
I almost shook the piggy bank and bought a Mini. They are cool cars. Doors shut well, switchgear works, plenty of options. I was at Dinan's open house last month. They will be develpoing lots of cool stuff for Mini's in the near future.

Pat
Joe Ricard
Man talk about bad press. The Mini Cooper MC40 even with the John Cooper Works is looked upon as a marketing scheme and highly over priced. HMM and me with three active bid on Evil bay. Well if they go for my price it is a steal. if not later in the year these cars may re-appear at discount.

Did I metion I put turbo Tie Rods on the teener today???? beer.gif

And polished the rear trunk lid. Got to go string it and and then out for a spin. :finger2:
campbellcj
I have heard they are fun to drive and I kinda like the exterior look and sound. BUT I'm not fond of the pseudo-retro dash. And...I recall seeing numerous (modified) MINI spins/offs at track events. I dunno if they were attributable to poor car setup, poor driving, or just the car itself....

What's the wheelbase on these puppies?

Bottom line is I think I'd rather have a VW Golf R32 if I were in the market for this flavor of car.

Then again, I fully understand the "wifey wants, wifey gets" syndrome. I guess I'm lucky in a way that my wife isn't into cars!
PatW
Dinan stuff for Mini's

http://www.dinancars.com
ArtechnikA
our development MINI is producing just under 200 drive-wheel HP; that does include a 19% overdrive pulley ... more (we suspect) is possible once we can flow more fuel.

mind you - we don't do MINI development - this is just one guy's personal car. all we do is diagnostic and data acquisition systems...

i put the MINI into the same category as a tuned ur-GTI. it's got much more power and i'm sure it's faster than my 911 but i still prefer the Porsche ...
anthony
Do you guys think that the JCW cars will become something close to Shelby cars. I mean this is on the order of OMNI GLHS and Daytona GLHS. These were pretty cool back in 86. Rare to see one these days as they just got used up and thrown away like a BIC lighter. Coopers have been around for a long time now the new mini is gaining some sort of following. I doubt that a JCW Cooper will ever get to the Ford Shelby status. But.... my crystal ball is on the fritz. I was looking at a Monti Carlo edition that is limited to 1000 cars production.

What's the point here? Are you asking whether we think that by paying $7000 extra for a limited edition package that the car will be worth more some day? Are you going to store it in a car bubble? For example 30 years later, except for the 914-6, the 914 is generally worth less than they cost new unless it's a low mileage, minty, original car. The 914 LE is worth mostly the same as a 73/74 2L car is in comparable condition.

If I wanted a Mini I'd buy a regular S and then do my own wheel, suspension, and engine mods as necessary.

I second Chris' vote for the R32 over the Mini especially if you're going to pay $30K for a Mini.
Joe Ricard
No car bubble. I am with you guys. thats alot of money for a car that will not go up in value. More than likely it will fall like a rock after the craze it over.

Cooper S and with the money I save I can stick it back in for suspension and more HP. That may eb the road to travel. Wife don't like VW anything. Don't know why maybe not cute enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.