Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '76 914 on ebay with "raby" engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Wanted to get this out before the site goes down for maintenance in case anyone was looking at this car in hopes to get a Raby engine.

Ebay 914

I messaged the guy and asked about the engine. He claims it is a Raby build when the previous owner had it. He purchased it with the motor needing rebuilt as it had gotten water in it from sitting.
Current owner (a Porsche mechanic 20+ yrs) rebuilt it in 2007 but it has never been run. He claims north of 200HP and 250 torque but has no dyno charts to back it up.
Sent another message asking for RAT serial number (Jake serializes all his builds). Have not heard back from him so either he is too busy to respond or there is no RAT serial number. confused24.gif

Will post on the club site as well and if I hear back from him with a RAT serial number will post there. The auction will end before this site is scheduled to be back up.

Not trying to stirthepot.gif just want to let others know it may not be a Raby build.

EDIT: I see now he has added on the listing that it is NOT a Raby build due to lack of RAT serial numbers.

driving.gif
Jake Raby
This is exactly why each engine we have ever built has a unique, non consecutive serial number.. Each of these match a data base that goes back 15 years. I have serial numbers for engines that I built in my barracks room as a Marine!

I have made it very difficult for anyone to clone our engines or to misadvertise something trying to fetch top dollar for a non-existant component that we supposedly built.

If it is a Raby developed engine; it has a RAT serial number and that matches my records. Without that serial number, we did not create the engine.
bandjoey
Read his notes at the bottom of the post. He added 'not built by Raby' in the seller added more info, yesterday. Top info is misleading. ar15.gif
Randal
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 23 2011, 07:20 PM) *

Wanted to get this out before the site goes down for maintenance in case anyone was looking at this car in hopes to get a Raby engine.

Ebay 914

I messaged the guy and asked about the engine. He claims it is a Raby build when the previous owner had it. He purchased it with the motor needing rebuilt as it had gotten water in it from sitting.
Current owner (a Porsche mechanic 20+ yrs) rebuilt it in 2007 but it has never been run. He claims north of 200HP and 250 torque but has no dyno charts to back it up.
Sent another message asking for RAT serial number (Jake serializes all his builds). Have not heard back from him so either he is too busy to respond or there is no RAT serial number. confused24.gif

Will post on the club site as well and if I hear back from him with a RAT serial number will post there. The auction will end before this site is scheduled to be back up.

Not trying to stirthepot.gif just want to let others know it may not be a Raby build.

EDIT: I see now he has added on the listing that it is NOT a Raby build due to lack of RAT serial numbers.

driving.gif

You should tell the guy that the motor might be 200hp on the dyno, but the 250 lbs of torque isn't right. smoke.gif
Jake Raby
He is obviously lost... I want to see that dyno graph! Where is the Turbo?!!
I will message him to remove the Raby reference; I have had no part of this build.
I am sure when someone asked for the serial number that he realizes that he was busted which is why he amended the ad.
Perhaps I should ask for 25% of the sales price because he leveraged his buyer with my brand?
rnellums
I went and looked at this car a couple of months ago after mine got totaled. They guy does run a Porsche shop and has some customers with pretty impressive cars. The paint job is really nice, but the car does have some rust spots that aren't in any of the pictures (under the gas tank on the passenger side, rear bumper mounts, some pinholes in the long). It also has has the driver's front fender repaired(it looks perfect though). He doesn't seem to me to be trying to mislead though, at least he has now made it clear about the engine. It seems like a perfect car for an autoX'er, for a full resto I'm not so sure.

-Ross
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.