Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 72 2.0 "The Red Car"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
markb
Well, the economy has taken it's toll on me, and I have to let go of the Red Car after 12 years of ownership. Here's the basics:

72 body, painted Metallic red, including the top & Mahles. Hell hole de-rusted a couple of years ago, replaced the engine shelf & battery tray. Trunks painted black. 2.0 FI'd engine with about 35k miles on the rebuild. Sideshift conversion, gone thru a few years back. Calipers rebuilt a while back by PMB. I would not be afraid to drive this car coast to coast. H4 headlights with Pilot driving lights. Tan interior, Getty dash, Momo wheel. This is daily driver, so if you're looking for a CW car, this would not be it. I can send a write-up I did with a ton of details about the car if you're interested. I've got about 14k in it (20 if the Cap'n would have charged me labor). I have lots & lots of pics from thruout my ownership. I'm asking $6,500.00 OBO. Here's a few of the pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment sad.gif
markb
I'll add more, and answer questions once the site comes back up. I'm going to go beer3.gif now.
mojorisen914
Sweet ride, Mark. I wish you luck.
markb
Thanks. I'm hoping it goes to someone who can appreciate all that's gone into it. It's been a labor of love for a long time.
BMITCHELL
Hey Mark, Trade? beerchug.gif
markb
QUOTE(BMITCHELL @ Aug 28 2011, 03:28 PM) *

Hey Mark, Trade? beerchug.gif

Sorry, Bob. gotta pay the credit cards off. Besides, you don't wanna trade off the chalon.... or is that the chalom? Howard told me once, but I forget. smile.gif
BMITCHELL
I think you are mistaking me for the guy in costa mesa. However,
in Howard's memory I had to try laugh.gif Good Luck with the sale, I know you put alot of work into it.
markb
Possibly.
Thanks, I'm taking a bath on selling, but the economy has me by the short hairs. dry.gif
markb
More pics.
1st is the Hellhole. It's not easy to get a pic of the area when everything is in place, but you can see that it's been taken care of. It's dirty, but not rusty.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next is an engine pic. Looks just like a standard 2.0. Which it is. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

The drivers seat is showing it's age, and I planned on replacing it with this, which is included with the car:
Click to view attachment
This is a Monaco seat, in tan leather.

The car is a daily driver, so it's not perfect. I inadvertently dented the rear fender when I was working on it. huh.gif Dent-Pro's could probably pull it out without a problem.

Click to view attachment

It's also starting to get some surface rust, which I can't afford to have fixed, which is one of the main reasons I'm selling it now, rather than later. No garage on the ranch, so it won't get any better on it's own. Better to send it on to someone who will take care of the problem before it gets bad. The paint on the drivers side fender also has an issue, I don't think it was prepped well, the paint has an adhesion problem where the side marker used to be.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The car will also have a few extras, like a 5th Mahle, painted to match, but needs to be straightened. I also have a matching electric passenger mirror to the painted drivers side one, and the wiring harness for the heated power mirrors, which is also included.

The gauges in the Getty dash are, left to right:

CHT/Volts, by New Vintage, 904 style triple gauge with tank, oil pressure & oil temp, standard tach, speedo rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer, zero'd and installed when this engine was installed, and clock, rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer, with the modern guts and a vintage face.

The bumpers are a rechromed early (70) style front, from bdstone914, and an original early (70) rear, which is showing a little discoloration in spots.

The front and side valences were repainted, and came out glossier than expected, but look good to me, so I left them alone. There is no rear valence.
markb
icon_bump.gif

I took some pics of the trunks, but I'll need to crop before I post them.

I also remembered that most of the rubber on the car (including the bumper tops) was replaced with NOS when the car was painted in 06. The non-NOS rubber was replaced with new aftermarket rubber.
markb
icon_bump.gif
JMKnight
BEAUTY. It 's a shame dude! I hope that you SOMEHOW find a way to keep your red friend, truly
markb
Thanks. I really hate to sell it, and can't really drop the price, so I'm just waiting. At least if I keep treading water, I won't drown. smile.gif
Bazza
Hey Mark,

I also have a '72 with a 2.0 and FI. Exhaust is Monza. My car has some cosmetic issues (terrible re-paint by PO) but it SCREAMS when I drive her. VERY strong pulling beast - and it sounds just as good as it runs! I was wondering if that's your impression of yours too? I have a somewhat limited 914 experience of driving other cars.

Your car looks to be a very good deal for someone. Sorry you are forced to sell her. I did the same thing with a wonderful early 911 last fall so you are not alone, mate.

Thanks,
Baz smile.gif
markb
Yes, this pulls well. It'll do even better with the exhaust changed from the 76 heat exchangers. Mine has a Bursch, and it's a little loud for my taste, but others really like the sound. All I've had up to now were 1.7's, and this is a big difference.
markb
Price lowered to 7k OBO sad.gif
BajaXJ92
This is a really great looking car, especially the paint matched mahle wheels. Someone scoop this up and enjoy it!! beerchug.gif
RangerRay
Is your car still for sale? I would have a few follow up questions, but I guess they can wait until I find that out first! I'm in Monterey (so not too far), and am interested in your car. If you are still selling the car, let me know, and if you have sold it, congratulations.

Ray
markb
PM sent
markb
icon_bump.gif

C'mon, somebody please.
markb
icon_bump.gif
911cab84
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 7 2011, 02:38 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

C'mon, somebody please.

PM Sent! smile.gif
markb
QUOTE(911cab84 @ Nov 26 2011, 03:20 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Nov 7 2011, 02:38 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

C'mon, somebody please.

PM Sent! smile.gif

Replied. smile.gif
markb
icon_bump.gif
danimal14
This is exactly the kind of 914 I'm looking for. I hope it lasts another 4-5 weeks, so that I can snap it up!

Would you forsee this car having any problem driving me back to Utah after I flew there to pick it up? Does the heater work? It's cold here in Utah smile.gif
danimal14
Oops, I missed this the first time I read the add "I would not be afraid to drive this car coast to coast." So I guess it would'nt even break a sweat on it's way to Utah.

This really is a beautiful car and I hope it lasts till I have the cash. (Fingers crossed) The interior is done in the same color I would have done it. The tan interior looks really good with the red paint.
danimal14
Where in central California are you? I've got family in Fresno. I always stop in Fresno on my way to the moto gp races in Monterey while on my motorcycle road trips.
markb
I'm just north of Santa Maria, Ca. smile.gif
markb
Temporarily off the market. I loaned the car to a 914 buddy, who has had a minor fender bender with the car. sad.gif Soooo, while the car is being fixed, I'm pulling it off. Some, if not all, of the rust is going to be dealt with while it's being fixed, so this is a mixed blessing.
jela5958
I'm in Bakersfield, and am interested in knowing when you anticipate having "The Red Car" back on the market. Thanks.
markb
I'm dropping off parts to the body shop tomorrow. I'm waiting to find a really good chrome bumper, but I have everything else.
jela5958
Thanks Mark. I'm looking for a market correct priced, honest, no issues driver ... Hope you're also able to get the rust & paint blems, and the quarter panel dent, fixed while the car's in the shop.
markb
Talked with the body shop, and they think they can repair it. smile.gif
markb
I took the last of the parts (except for a new early chrome front bumper, still looking for one of those) to the body shop today. The body shop guy is one of those guys that seems to know what he's doing when it comes to metal. There was a fair amount of bondo that is no longer going to be there. He's also going to take care of the peeling paint on the drivers side where the side marker used to be. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have the rust issues dealt with, I really wish I could. Of course, then I'd be more tempted to keep the car.
markb
They're putting it back together today. I've been told the paint match is exceptional. piratenanner.gif
I found a very nice newly rechromed front bumper, and bought a 914rubber bumper top. I had them take care of the driver's side paint adhesion problem while they were there. I can't afford to do the surface rust, unfortunately. Steve said the battery died, so he got a cheap replacement, and the front tires look like there was an alignment issue, so I'll most likely get a new battery and replace all the tires, and get an alignment.
markb
icon_bump.gif
markb
After a bunch of drama, I'll be picking up the car from the body shop this week, delivering it to Cap'n Crusty for a good going over, and will be back up for sale.
markb
It's home! It's home! It's home!

Back up for sale. sad.gif
markb
Home from the body shop. They did nice work, in spite of the drama. I had them fix the drivers side fender while it was there.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Car looks pretty darn nice. Glad this chapter is over for all concerned.
markb
icon_bump.gif for lower price. I just got a new set of Kumho's on it, and an alignment is set for next week. Price lowered to $6,500.00
ww914
Good luck Mark. That looks like a very nice car. I am really close to Mark if anyone wants me to take a look from an uninterested view point.
markb
Price lowered to 6k. sad.gif

I've replaced the coil with a new Pertronix, new Pertronix ignition module, Kumho's all around (rears to be installed next week), and the dizzy had the spring plate replaced. I'll be finishing the mounting plate for the Monaco seat soon, and both seats will get the new adjuster handles.

This is my last price drop. This is a great car, I hope someone takes advantage of this.
nom666nom
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 7 2011, 03:38 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

C'mon, somebody please.

I've PMed you.
markb
Sale fell thru. Still available. This is a great deal for the money. You could part it for much more than the sale price.
markb
SOLD! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.