Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAS top / Saratoga top care and maintence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Click to view attachment

Just thought I'd put a "how to" Thread together.

Yes Acrylic will scratch, the good news is it can be restored. In fact I'm even thinking about making a restore "kit" that would include smaller sizs of the compounds that I use, as they come in 48oz bottles.

Anyway, I started with a piece of rejected acrylic and made a "Test" pattern to sow you what was possible.
Mikey914
I start by wetsanding with 1200 grit.
Mikey914
Wipe clean and repeat with 2000 and 3000.
Mikey914
Click to view attachmentStart by useing a mild cutting compound to reduce some of the fine scratches caused by sanding.
Mikey914
Wipe clean and follow up with a machine polishing compound, and following up with a superfine polish.

For a total of 3 steps. You will need to switch to sponge pads for steps 2 and 3.

Mikey914
Repaired test section
Mikey914
Side view
Mikey914
Decided I'd try to clean up my scratched Saratoga top
Before
Mikey914
Wetsand with 1200, 2000, 3000
Mikey914
I polished as I did before, unfortunately when you repair scratches you find more. You will notice that as you sand you can see the scratch until it's sanded out. You need to get these all the way out with 1200, before moving on to the next 2 steps
Mikey914
You can really make these look good, I typically spend 2-1/2 hours on a roof prepping before I ship.

The one this to remember is as you polish you will build up a static charge. If you use a Meguires #1 plastic cleaner last, it will discharge the plastic so that every piece of dust that exists to your now clean top.
Drums66
.......BFH happy11.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif
StratPlayer
Amazing
Drums66
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Aug 24 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Amazing

......But seriously.......what you've done there is *Amazing* flag.gif
smoke.gif shades.gif bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.