Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7/10 meet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Howard
Thanks to all who showed their faces. Please email name, phone #'s email add to info@thehowardagency.com or just post here.

This will be an event to remember!
phantom914
OK So what happened after I got trapped in the parking lot and you guys disappeared? All I got from the parking attendant was that you were looking for a park. I drove around and didn't find any one. I should have got somebody's cell number before we left Canter's. Next time...........

Anyway, if I can provide help, I still want to try and get involved.

Oh, one thing I thought of: my brother-in-law is a printer, if there is anything we would need printed.

My contact info:

Andrew Shenk
626-893-7474
ashenk@verizon.net

If you don't remember who I was, I was the tall goofy looking guy that was with his wife and sat with Joe Sharp.
Aaron Cox
hey howard, sorry for being late ( headbang.gif I-5 )
was fun.

nice meeting you guys,

for whatever reason youd need to get a hold of me wacko.gif

Aaron Cox
909 735 3692
909 833 5311 cell
skline
Well, as you probably have seen, we had to have Jareds car towed to my house, I think the clutch went out. Anyway, yeah, the meeting was productive. If anyone needs to contact me the number is 714-318-3889. Its my cell/business phone so I can be reached most anytime.
Duffster
Hey .... I went home thru K-town... Don't be blamin' me!

ar15.gif

after a scenic and fragrant tour of Roland Heights, Chino Hills, the Chino Dairy preserve and (for you, Scott, Norco) I had more fun than you did, neener neener!

cell 909 313 8180 always on. Thanks Howard, and all who showed.
Howard
Guess I could post mine..

h 818.889.1566
o 818.889.1414
c 818.517.8011 but i usually forget to take it wink.gif

Andrew, yet another cluster fuck. We'll do better next time and probably take you up on the printing offer.

And, have you noticed when we go somewhere, young ladies show up with strange offers? Suck for a Buck, now the Scavenger Hunt girls. I think we have something here biggrin.gif

Must be Slits' animal charm......
drew365
Not a bad start for the WCC 05, in kind of a round about way. The unanimous decision to hold the Bar B Que at Toasts was an inspired idea.
Here's my info:
Andy Ritter
O- 818/ 891-1788
C- 818/ 266-8610
phantom914
Howard,

What sort of items would we want printed? I want to give my brother-in-law a heads up and see what he says. Do we have people willing to do the design? Wasn't it Seanery and Jaroen that worked on the designs for WCC'04? I believe Seanery offered help.

OK. So Snow Valley is one of the proposed sites. Obviously pretty available outside of winter I would guess. What are the other two sites? California Speedway and Willow?

Andrew
Howard
Andrew, no ideas on printing yet.
Slits is working on Big Bear area, here's the place I talked about at the park. Yes, we did find it eventually after a minor carb rebuild in alley across street from Canters.

Casa Sirena

Streets of Willow leading in that category.
seanery
Casa Sirena looks cool! smilie_pokal.gif Did I tell you all I lived on a boat in Redondo Beach for 4 years? I'll feel right at home in SB at the Beach.
Toast
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 10 2004, 06:42 PM)
I would hope that the committee secretary would type up the suggested venues and distribute them to the sacrifical, uuuh volunteers for their persual.

So who got voted the "Committe Secretary"? type.gif

Not a bad start for the WCC 05, in kind of a round about way. The unanimous decision to hold the Bar B Que at Toasts was an inspired idea.

Guess Toast needs to start finding her own place if she's planning to invite 100 guys over. chowtime.gif drunk.gif girlboing.gif

Here is how to get ahold of me when I feel like being getting ahold of:

909-205-8612 c
800-273-9909 w M-F 8-4
tinkymonster@yahoo.com

Please let me know where I can help.

happy11.gif toast
Howard
Have to go to Oxnard today and will stop in at Casa Sirena for the tour. Ron, Scott, anyone, any other ideas/price quotes? I know it's a long way off, but these do book up, especially the track. We're still OK for last weekend in April.
drew365
Howard, are you saying you have a tentative open date at WSIR for the end of April? I just wonder if we wouldn't be taking a chance on good weather then and be better off in May? Let us know how the tour goes.
Howard
Streets pretty much open during the week if we book in advance. Did an 'average' weather check for Willow.. April highs 70ish, May highs 80ish. Negligible rain for either month.

Went by Casa Sirena today. Good news: Place has every facility we could ask for, is on the water, and is cheap @ $70 per night for the rooms. Lots of parking, we could have our own roped off lot, and they have a 40 room patio building with center courtyard that would be ideal for our 'private' party. Good catering staff that will do everything from formal sit down to burgers and dogs. Willing to sponsor by providing free beer and soda for our welcoming event. Nice people, catering mgr had a 914. Last 2 weekends in April are available, and sure we could do early May. Summer gets pretty busy there, so we wouldn't get as many concessions.

Bad news: Place needs a bit of refurbishing, and don't think it will get it prior to our visit. Rooms are OK, but place needs a paint job, etc. Not scary, but not too elegant. I do like the area. 78 there today vs 104 in Woodland Hills.

Tennis, golf, outlet mall, antique shopping, Golf n Stuff, curvy roads all nearby. Jim Hall kart school and track 3 miles. Got brochure from them but kinda pricey @ $300 day pp including cart.

Andy, if you are still planning to go to POC instructor school, see if you can drum up some old hands who might be willing to attend track day and help. We can give them free track time and a pat on the back. That club does know how to throw a track day.

I believe we should firm up dates by end of month.
drew365
One of the hands I'm trying to recruit to help is Bob Taylor from the POC. He has a 914-4 track car and lives in Oxnard right off the beach. He could probably visit the hotel if it's ever necessary since it's right by his house. You may have had him for an instructor, he pits with Marty.
JeffBowlsby
Mmmm...Karts...that evens up the trophy potentials...we could tear 'em up and not even thrash our own 914s...my kinda fun... biggrin.gif

LARGE Group discounts maybe...? Can we double-triple up drivers on each car to cut the costs?
phantom914
Place needs a bit of refurbishing, and don't think it will get it prior to our visit. Rooms are OK, but place needs a paint job, etc.

Hey, we have a year. I bet we could get a real good discount if we volunteer to paint the place. biggrin.gif

Andrew
Howard
Hey, we have a year. I bet we could get a real good discount if we volunteer to paint the place.

Andrew, I sent them your name biggrin.gif

Seriously, spoke to Jim Hall Kart school, and don't think it will work. $300 per driver with a max of 30 drivers in one day. Yikes!

I still can't figure out any better combo than Casa Sirena/Streets of Willow. Talk to me gang..
seanery
I like the streets/sirena combo. As long as the beds are comfy and it has no bugs. Oh, and it has a bar. I guess if I spent enough time at the bar, the beds/bugs wouldn't matter as much. biggrin.gif
phantom914
Sounds good to me. Out of curiosity, what is the travel time between the two?

Andrew
Howard
100ish miles, 2 to 2.5 hours as some 2 lane stuff. Scott can do it faster rolleyes.gif
drew365
QUOTE(Howard @ Jul 15 2004, 01:16 PM)
100ish miles, 2 to 2.5 hours as some 2 lane stuff. Scott can do it faster rolleyes.gif

Give Scott a radar detector and let him take the point. Sort of like Smokey and the Bandit.
On a serious note, I think Willow and Casa Sirena will work as long as it's not a complete dive. If you want we could scout for other candidates in the area or did you already do that?
JeffBowlsby
<$5.00 per person

Thats nearl unbelieveble. If its true sign him up!

The WCC04 breakfast was ~$20 a head and the box lunch added another $10...and I negotiated hard to get it down from $16. And they were still cheaper and better than anyone else...
Howard
Ron, way to go. But AX still probably out due to insurance requirements, unless someone knows something I'm missing. So Willow is probably the track, since we get get package with insurance, corner workers, paramed, etc. from them. Mountain place looks good, and about the same distance to Willow. Willow also has a stand there where burger or polish, chips and soda about $5, and bet we could get a sponsor to spring for that or Box lunches. Don't forget In and Out's truck catering deal.

Andy, Casa is not a dive, and the best for our use in Ventura/Oxnard area, but there sure are prettier places farther up the coast.

Ventura, @ 100 miles from Willow, is the closest beach(outside of LA)to that track. But with that commute, driving to track at the crack of dawn and spending 8 hours there might be a bit much. Consider spending one night in Lancaster?? If we do that..

Track day could be first or last event. People could attend the party or track, or both. One entry fee covers all.

Fri: Arrive hotel, beer and pizza in parking lot with winky headlights.

Sat: Event begins, Breakfast meeting, curvy road tour, Beach party BBQ 4pm. BYOB

Sun: Car show/optional activities. Mini Golf, Outlet mall, Cart Track, Surf, Golf. 2pm goodbye to those not attending track event. 3pm, leave hotel, head for Lancaster. There is a straight line or wild curvy route. Arrive Lancaster 6pm ish. All meals on own. Driver meeting and tech 7pm.

Mon: Track is 15 miles from hotel. Opens 8:30am, but we have access for setup etc. from 7am. We should provide Coffee, donuts, bottled water @ track. Box lunches, roach coach, or BBQ cart are lunch options. They have a large enclosed garage with grandstands to handle ~100 people. And flush toilets! Track closes @ 5:30 and we have to be out of there by 6:30. Average temp late April early May is high 75, low 45. They average 1/3" of rain for entire month of April.

As previously discussed, I like the POC system of novice, amatuer, and experienced classes. HP doesn't really matter there as much as handling and driver ability. We can comfortably have 20 cars on the track at the same time, so 3 or 4 run groups. With 3, starting @ 9am using 20 minute sessions, and a break for lunch (when we could have parade laps) every one would at least 1.5 hours of track time. I would rather not have timing equipment due to complications and 'race face'.

If we are willing to spend one night in the desert, we really can stay anywhere for the party. Start or end with track day???
VegasRacer
Great plan Howard. clap56.gif I like it.

I think 1.5 hours of seat time on a real track sounds a lot better than 15 minutes of seat time at an autocross.
drew365
I think having the curvy road tour/ rally, the same day as the beach party is squeezing it. I envisioned the tour/ rally ending up someplace nice (Ojai?) where everyone could relax and have dinner together, not necessarily organized by us other than picking the ultimate meeting place. That the Beach Party being on Sunday could also act as the final gathering for anyone not going to the track. Having a caravan leave Casa Sirena at one time Monday morning would ensure that most get to the track without having to switch hotels to Lancaster, but that's debatable. Just some thoughts.
Laurie from the POC will email me the info on the timing guy. After I have it and I talk to him I'll let you know the particulars.
drew365
Along the lines of what I posted above, if the tour is a rally with some check points where points were subtracted for being early or late through that check, than we could have awards for it that could be given out at the beach party. I like the rally idea because it involves the wife as a navigator and gets them involved.
I just noticed this is my 666 post. I don't know what that means, but you better listen to me!
Howard
Dear 666,

You seemed to be such a quiet, normal guy before joining this forum. Sorry if we have been a bad influence. biggrin.gif

It is a dilemma. 2hour drive (3 if twisty) to track and then 8 hours there seems like a bit much, too. Would really like to add one day to event, but barring that, we are going to need to compromise somewhere. 4 hour rallye enough?

And we learned this year that we can't just all meet somewhere for dinner without preplanning. Too many people, so we need to reserve restaurant, caterers, or cater ourselves. Cooking for 100 people ain't that easy, but I'll tend bar if someone wants to cook and clean icon8.gif

And does anyone else want to try this whole thing now (without the track) as practice? The hotel offered us a few comped rooms so we could see if we like it. I can throw the BBQ at my place. I need Porsche R&R!
seanery
Hey, if they're willing to comp a few rooms, go try it out. Make sure they give you the same type of rooms we would be renting. When we do site surveys we are often comp'd rooms, but end up in mini-suites or junior-suites, that's great for us, but it doesn't give us an idea what the rest of the attendees will be getting.
Howard
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 18 2004, 08:04 AM)
Not everyone is retired and can take 4 days off work. I believe the poll indicated 3 days was preferred.

I'm done.

Yeah, think I'm done, too. Hopefully we can make this attractive enough so that people will look at it as a vacation. Accomodations cost, within reason, is not an issue, nor is number of days. People coming from a great distance would probably like it to last longer, so we can give them that option. You're right, Ron, I don't have a real job anymore so don't mind making it last a week. Not everyone will so all the things available... "Wanna go on Winery tour? Meet in p lot at 1pm." works fine.

The only cluster fuck in the deal is when and how to get people from the 'resort' to the track. Realize that big caravans suck after WCC 2004, so sure don't want to have to move people round trip. Agree that Monday is best for track. So 'farewell' to non trackers Sunday.

Sure would like everyone's opinion about Sunday PM in Palmcaster or crack of dawn to track from resort Monday, so let me know. I want to bounce our final plan off the NoCal gurus before we commit.

Who's Lucy?
drew365
QUOTE(Howard @ Jul 18 2004, 01:41 PM)

Who's Lucy?

I guess she was before your time Howard. rolleyes.gif

I've got too many projects going right now, so I agree with Slits, lets decide on a direction and go with it. There's no perfect plan so let's pick the one with the least problems and go with it. I'll support whatever. We don't need to put on a rally either, that was just an idea but would take a lot of organization. I've got a feeling that as long as there's a good bar the rest will fall in place. So I suggest that Howard types up an outline, have someone up north sprinkle it with holy water and we slowly start taking care of the details.
drew365
I wanted Slits to clarify something, so in my best Ricky Ricardo voice I typed "Splain yourself Lucy". I used to play left field in Little League, maybe that explains it.
Toast
Well, seems like everyone does not want to talk about other options other than Willow. So I guess Slits and I can quit trying to look into other options.

But, WE NEED TO GET THIS BOOKED IF WE ARE GOING TO DO IT!

Howard,
Im thinkin Sunday pm in Landcaster would be better for those of us who dont get up early easily. BUT.....how willing would others be to relocate to another hotel from one they stayed 3 nights in already?
Then again, who would want to get up at 6:00 am to try to caravan 1 1/2 hours to landcaster (got to give extra time for those who cant read a map....or a misleading map at that)? wacko.gif

That decision may be easier when we find out how many actualy are going to do the track event. I think we could caravan 20-30 people without too much problems. But 50-60 might be pushing it.

Again, I offer my map-making skills.

Also, I am working on a CD. I have 8 songs in que, plus a track of someone leaving a house, getting into a car, pushing the gas pedal 3 times, starting and reving the car, and driving away listing to a song.

burnout.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Howard @ Jul 17 2004, 11:14 PM)
2hour drive (3 if twisty) to track and then 8 hours there seems like a bit much, too. Would really like to add one day to event, but barring that, we are going to need to compromise somewhere. 4 hour rallye enough?

And we learned this year that we can't just all meet somewhere for dinner without preplanning. Too many people, so we need to reserve restaurant, caterers, or cater ourselves. Cooking for 100 people ain't that easy, but I'll tend bar if someone wants to cook and clean icon8.gif

And does anyone else want to try this whole thing now (without the track) as practice? The hotel offered us a few comped rooms so we could see if we like it. I can throw the BBQ at my place. I need Porsche R&R!

I think the twisty road and beach party (maybe rally) should be on one day, seperate from track. I think a straight shot to track would be better.

Reservation at a restraunt should not be that big of a deal. Just give them a minumum of 24 hour notice. Unless we are going to go somewhere fancy. We could always give them 1-2 week notice for them to schedule employees appropriately, and then a reminder 24-48 hours in advance.

I would be up for giving this a trial and error shot. Just let me know.

Howard,
If you do decide to hold a BBQ at your place or our own caterings somewhere, I would be willing to help with set-up, up-keep, and clean-up. I'm definatly out for the cooking! icon8.gif slap.gif Although I can flip a Burger. burger.gif
Howard
toast, looks like you missed a couple of posts, and haven't heard from all, so recap is:

I can't find anyplace other than Willow that has the whole package including insurance. If you or anyone knows, please tell me now, but if not, you're right, we should book ASAP.

I'm not sold on that hotel. If anyone else has another selection within 100 mile of Willow, let me know that, too. In the polls, more rural areas close to curvy roads were favored. Your maps (and CD) are great idea.

We need more ideas for what we do with people that have track only cars during the 'resort' time, and finalize the Palmcaster thing. If no other suggestions will go with slits' agenda as shown..

Quote Slits:
Since the track is only really available to us on a Friday or Monday, pick the day. Friday is probably not logical as I doubt anyone coming from a distance is going to go directly to the track and start slogging, unless they stay in Palmcaster Thursday night.

Monday would be the most logical. This would allow for Saturday and Sunday for the social events - tours, parties, etc.

WCC2005 could start Saturday morning with brkfst, then a rally/twisty road for the day, ending in a beach or lawn party.

Sunday, we could all go to the Church of Stuttgart and stand around admiring 30 year old technology. A lax day to cure any hangovers and later do the other things that are local. Possibility of a low key catered dinner for a social event or night rally so everyone can get lost and tech session for those going to Willow.

The track day can start at 10 AM and end at 3 pm. You have indicated that 20 cars at a time can be on the track. It would seem that 5 hours is enough to bust your car. That would make the day 9 hours long, including the roundtrip trek from Oxnard to Rosamond or like you said Howard, just turn everyone loose from the track. Those that don't want to play could go home on Sunday or drop by the track on Monday on their way home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.