Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/4 rear caliper kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
davep
Finally I have the parts for a kit to widen the 914/4 rear caliper for use with 911 vented rear brake rotors.
The kit includes the hub spacers, the caliper spacers and the longer pins.
The kit does not include, at this time, the longer bolts or the extra seals.
I use donor calipers from the 911 rear to provide these bolts and seals.
The bolts in the 914/4 caliper may need a Ribe bit tool to remove.
Reuse the longer (inner) bolts from the caliper to be modified as the shorter (outer) bolts.

These are the parts included in the kit:
davep
This is the modified caliper:
davep
These parts are not included at this time, but could be added when I find a source:
davep
Differences in the pins:
davep
The seals for the spacers:
Aaron Cox
cost?
datapace
Any update on pricing or availability?

-datapace
davep
4 kits currently available
US$400 plus shipping per kit (does one car)
dakotaewing
Dave,
Could you clarify your pricing? Is the cost $400 per kit, or $400 for the 4 kits you have in stock? Does 1 kit do 2 calipers, or 1 kit does one caliper ? Not to sound like a cheapa$$, but can you explain the reason for the high cost, even if it is $200 a side ? It seems to me there would a cheaper (and therefore more marketable) way to do this... I am not trying to bust you in regard to the price, everyone who has a usefull product for our cars should be compensated for the time invested to develope those parts -

Please educate me.....

Thanks,
Thom
IronHillRestorations
Can I just get the spacers and pins? That's all I need, and a price for those 4 parts.

PK cool.gif
davep
Clarification: one kit @$400 does two calipers or one car. The kit includes all the parts shown as included in the first post. I am trying to source the parts shown as not included.

Pricing: The machine shop recorded 50+ hours time spent on producing all the parts for 5 kits. Good thing they don't charge $100 an hour shop rate yet. I am sure that a lot of the time was used to program the CNC machine and this would not be needed if I sell these kits and need to produce more. As it is, I need to sell these kits to recover my costs. (Do you have your 914Club sticker yet?) Yep, I stuck my neck out and had these made for you.

Pin kits and hub spacer kits are available also. PM for pricing on them.
lylegd
Dave, the special O rings (Porsche calls them Sealing Rings) are still available. I just received several 3 weeks ago. The part number is not listed in the 914 brake section but is listed in the '69 911S rear brake parts section. It is:
Sealing Ring #901.351.928.10

On the calipers I have split open , this rubber part is always dried out and badly cracked so its critical that you use new "sealing rings". It would be a serious mistake to reuse the original rings. Don't recall the exact price but it was roughly $2 each. Got them from Stoddards Porsche Import Cars. They have them in stock, but you should be able to order them from other Porsche part houses as well. FYI Just a reminder, if you are going to split the calipers to add the spacers, then you should also take the time to replace the tiny O rings that are part of the brake pad gap adjusters. Do your adjusters turn freely and not leak? These rings don't come in the brake caliper rebuild kits and so it would be easy to overlook. You will need a strong Circlip tool to get the parts out. Got my seals from PartsWerks. They sell them from time to time on E Bay, but I think a few other suppliers also sell them. (About $20 for a set!). They are the cause of oil leaks and what better time to replace them then when the calipers are already split. My 914-6 adjusters did not turn freely and were filled with an awful rusty looking grunge. Now they are clean and turn freely. Sometimes you may have to replace other parts in the adjusters to make them work. In my experience, about one third of the calipers require new adjuster screws and new seal caps. My advise to you, if you are going to do this job, please take the extra time to do it right.
Lyle
TheAndante
What do you recommend for the fronts? Rears CANNOT be upgraded(safely) without doing the fronts as well. If the rears "out-brake" the fronts you will eventually lose control, usually braking in a curve. Please advise.
davep
The front brakes can be upgraded in many ways. The new hub kits are a great way to start. My preference is to start with a 911S front suspension. That way you have a much greater choice of calipers, rims and torsion bars. My kit compliments a conversion to 5-bolt suspension.
McMark
You can use a T27 Torx bit instead of a Ribe, but don't blame me if you damage your bolts. Use at your own risk.
davep
I tried many bit types before finding the correct type. Torx may be close, but it does not work well. Considering the cost of replacement bolts, purchasing the correct tool is very inexpensive. Ever try to find 7mm hardware? I was quoted $14 each with a minimum of 50 pieces; uh, not at this time thanks.
Definitely use at your own risk, and don't say we didn't warn you.
JZH
I installed a similar kit on my 918 many years ago, but I can't remember where I got it... Maybe it was Radtech Racing/Stephens Machining? But I've been out of the game for a long time, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were no other commercial sources any more.

Ciao,

JZH
London, UK
www.vsource.org
davep
One kit is available at $300 so that I can help support the Brad Bail Fund.
jonnoshore
For the fronts... This is the route I am going... A lot more cost effective than 911 brakes...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...MW_calipers.htm

Just need to get the 19mm 911 master-cylinder...

Found a place that sells reconditioned ATE front brakes for a 320i...

John
UK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.