Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I took my car out for a little putt this evening and noticed that my oil warning light comes on when stopped and the car is idling. Can the pressure be checked. If the oil pump is going can it be removed and replaced with the motor in the car? (OH PLEASE SAY IT CAN!!!) And can it be rebuilt or does it have to be replaced? wacko.gif
SLITS
1. The "idiot light" comes on at 2 - 6 psi, according to the Haynes Manual. Mine did that when the engine was hot from climbing the mountain. You're in Bakesfield and it ain't exactly cool there.

2. You could feasibly screw in a fitting in place of the sender and hook up a mechanical guage - not sure what the threads are though.

3. You could try to change it BUT you would have to drop the front tin, engine mount bar, engine mount and possibly the blower housing to get to it. It would prolly be faster and easier to drop the drivetrain.
nebreitling
what weight oil r u running?

have you done the basics, like tune up and adjusted valves?
lapuwali
Hm. I'm not entirely sure how adjusting the valves will affect oil pressure...

What's your idle speed? Too low, and the pump will be turning too slowly. 800-900rpm is about right. If you're running oil that's too thin, oil pressure will also drop. I'd say if you're running anything thinner than 20w50, you're oil is too thin.

But, it could also just be the oil pressure switch is going bad or leaking. The threads on the sender are, oddly enough, 1/8 NPT (US pipe thread), rather than a metric thread. Checking the pressure with a mechanical gauge isn't a bad idea. If the switch is leaking, there's a small rubber gasket that needs replacing underneath it.

IMHO, if your oil pump is worn out, you need to rebuild the whole engine, and it's very likely the whole thing is worn out, not just the pump.
Allan
Couple of things related to the oil light: Engine is idling too low. Down to about 500-700 rpm. Oil last used was a 10-40 grade. I'll up the idling a couple hundred rpm and change the oil to a 20-50. As far as the tune-up, I took it to a mechanic right after I bought it and he supposedly adjusted the valves, replaced plugs, points, condenser and vacuum advance unit (said mine wasn't holding a vacuum?). He also said that the timing marks on the fan were gone so he had to time it by "ear". This guy is supposed to be good at working on porsches but dosn't do much with teeners. Although there has been one sitting in his shop forever. (Wonder why?)
IronHillRestorations
You need to make a new timing mark on you impeller fan, and correctly set the timing. I think there's an article on Pelican's page that will show you how to re-mark.

Air cooled engines are more sensitive to ignition timing. The biggest concern would be too much advance, which can make it run hot, and/or damage the engine. It's not easy to hear our flat fours ping, if the ignition is too far advanced. I don't trust timing a 914 engine by ear, just my .02

Your oil pressure light could be coming on because the timing isn't set right and the engine is idling too low.

Worst case scenario is your main bearings are shot and it's rebuild time, but unless you've got over 125k miles on the bottom end, that is probably not the case.

PK cool.gif
Allan
Not too sure how many miles are on the motor. PO said it was rebuilt but didn't know when. I really hope it's not the barf.gif bearings.
tracks914
Before you get too carried away, do an oil change. Put in 20W50 oil and try it again.
When you drain your old oil check its viscosity and for gasoline. Leaking Fuel injectors and cold start valves can dilute your oil and drop your oil pressure too. Then repost and tell us what you find.
Tx
Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.