Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gauge mods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
just wanted to swap oil pressure and temp modules into the stock 914 gas gauge. (wanted to keep gauge with silver stud at the center)

what a mess I made of the ring. a real bitch to remove and now it looks terrible. Also, the stock gas gauge has a light snoot inside it which is riveted to the back of the silver stud. Gonna try and cut it out.

shoulda left it alone. wacko.gif

dr
machina
and the aftermath...
Joe Ricard
Ya but the ring should bend back quite easily and since it is pushed against the board you should never see it. If you have BIG scratches on it just touch em up with some matte paint. (not flat not gloss)
markb
Looks the same as all of mine when I do that. I don't think there's a cleaner way to do it. What are you gonna do for a gas gauge?
Rusty
Yep, matte black is the "correct" color. However, if you're willling to pull the gauge plate, you can pretty much do it any way that you want.

Before:
Rusty
After, only the gauges.
machina
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 11 2004, 09:54 AM)
Looks the same as all of mine when I do that. I don't think there's a cleaner way to do it. What are you gonna do for a gas gauge?

I have a fuel cel in the car so my gas gauge is a stick. Actually I just top it off before each race.

dr
Rusty
Another finished pic... sorry that they're blurry.
Rusty
last pic that I'll inflict on you fine people...
machina
nice work lawrence...

that's what I'm talking about.

dr
Rusty
Thanks. smile.gif

My guages, when disassembled, looked more or less like yours with edges I was worried about. Be gentle during reassembly. I used several plastic kitchen impliments when I put them together to avoid scratching the polished rings. I used wurth silver on the inside ring, and I'm glad I did. It brightens up the guage.

Oh, Rain-X sells an anti-fogger for the inside of windshields. I used some on the inside of the glass, just in case.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
Easier to find a 911 combo gauge with the oil temp and pressure modules.

Geoff
machina
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 11 2004, 12:23 PM)

Geoff

that's what I have, a 911 gauge. But I wanted the older style look to match the other gauges. They old style has a small metal stud at the center. That's the only reason I took it apart.

dr
bongo monkey
Yeah, what's with those rings? How the hell does VDO get them off without mangling them?
MXMARK
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jul 11 2004, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 11 2004, 12:23 PM)

Geoff

that's what I have, a 911 gauge. But I wanted the older style look to match the other gauges. They old style has a small metal stud at the center. That's the only reason I took it apart.

dr

1973 and older 911 had a silver button. I think the 1968 were a little smaller, so 1969 to 1973 gauge sould work. sorry about the bad paint on my dash. No time yet. Good work so far it looks like you are right on track. Mark
ss6
One tip to keep your outer ring from getting as chewed up when you're prying it open is to use a wood chisel rather than a screwdriver as a prying tool.

The half-wedge shape of the chisel gives you a built in fulcrum to pry against (with a lot more control) and the broad face of the chisel grabs more of the ring. in other words, pry with the flat face of the chisel facing outward.
machina
QUOTE(MXMARK @ Jul 11 2004, 01:38 PM)
1973 and older 911 had a silver button. I think the 1968 were a little smaller, so 1969 to 1973 gauge sould work. sorry about the bad paint on my dash. No time yet. Good work so far it looks like you are right on track. Mark

that is exactly what I had in mind.

its hard to find a gauge in good shape from an early 911.

right now I just need to get working guages for the new motor, so I'll cobble together this one for now.

I am also thinking of running a couple direct reading gauges for oil pressure and temp. Maybe just inside the firewall, to make sure the electrics are reading correct.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.