Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking Intake Manifold Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
The SCCA is proposing to change the Production 914 intake manifold specs (again rolleyes.gif ).
The latest change specs only 2 manifolds: Pierce p/n 99004-822 or Original p/n 021 129 705N.
I know the US 914s never came with the 021 part and I've never even seen one. confused24.gif
The current rule only says the manifolds must be the same length and configuration as the original (huh? huh.gif ).
Does anyone have or know where to get either of these specific parts?
I want to know if any of the manifolds I currently have meet this specification.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2004, 07:41 AM)
Original p/n 021 129 705N. ...
I know the US 914s never came with the 021 part and I've never even seen one.

I want to know if any of the manifolds I currently have meet this specification.

021.129.705 is the rightside half of the pair of manifolds (EKTA calls them 'intake connection') that includes 021.129.706 on the left. it's pretty clear from the illustration that those are the manifolds for the single-barrel Solex used in the 1,8. sounds like bad news to me ...

but i'd guess if you have a set of manifolds for single-throat Solex's, you're fine ... (prolly not ...)
ChrisFoley
The "N" suffix must be indicative of an entirely different part for 2 barrel carbs. (hopefully)
I read somewhere that these were in use on the Supervee engines which were derived from the 1.6liter industrial TIV.
bperry
You can get the pierce parts from:

Pierce Manifolds Inc,
321 Kishimura Drive,
Gilroy, CA 95020
USA

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Catalogpage...ges/porsche.htm

They are part of their "standard" kit for IDF conversions but you can
buy them seperately.

From what I remember, they were about $75 for the pair about a year
ago. I also seem to recall that both ends will need port matching
(head and carb side) even when using 40IDFs.

--- bill
SLITS
some Type IV Industrial engines were fitted with Weber 40 IDFs, so any manifold that bolts an IDF to a Type 4 would work. Knowing the SCCA, they are going to get anal about a flippin manifold (assuming the Tech Inspector knows what he's looking at or you plan on going to Altanta RunOffs) The only significant differences between specified and others would be the runner length and the diameter of the runner.

Sometimes the SCCA has their heads stuck up their asses. well most of the time anyway.

Oh BTW - "021" desiginated most parts for a 1.7, "022" was the 1.8 and "039" was the 2.0L
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bperry @ Jul 11 2004, 09:45 PM)
You can get the pierce parts from:

Pierce Manifolds Inc,

Thanks Bill,
I will order a set Monday.

you plan on going to Altanta RunOffs

They're at Mid Ohio these days, and yes I plan on going again. I had a great time last year. I have a short in car video on my website. Runoffs In Car Video
The tech inspectors won't notice unless I finish in the top three, and I will be trying to get there.
groot
Sorry, gents. This one's my fault. I was very confused about what was written in the GCR and asked for a clarificition and this is what they decided to go with.

The interesting thing is that the clarifiation is only listed for EP.....

Chris are you making the jump?
maf914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 11 2004, 05:58 PM)
or you plan on going to Altanta RunOffs

Slits, I hope you know something we don't. The SCCA Runoffs are great for spectators, but the drive to Mid-Ohio is a little long for a weekend event. If its coming back to Road Atlanta I'll be there! laugh.gif
SLITS
Sorry 'bout the MidOhio/Atlanta mixup - quit racing about 15 years ago - GP. Yeh, I'm old too! biggrin.gif

Have had nothing to do with SCCA since then.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(groot @ Jul 12 2004, 08:40 AM)
Chris are you making the jump?

Kevin,
I'm staying in FP for now.
I already wrote a letter to the Club Racing Board asking for their explanation, and I asked if they were going to change the FP specs as well.
I prefer the open statement that any manifold of the same length is ok, but with the Pierce part # I know I can buy something that meets the spec without knowing the spec. wacko.gif
groot
Chris,

How's the season going for you?

It was the "same length and configuration" statement that had me scratching my head. I haven't looked at the fuel injection manifolds in a while, but as I remember they don't look like the same length and configuration of any manifold that can use a downdraft carb.

I'm in the painting stage now, cage is complete. I hope to make a few regionals later this season with a "stock" engine/trans.

Kevin
SLITS
The only configuration that could even closely match the FI intake runners would be the single Weber 32/36 DFA whatever - square base progressive carb. No way on the duals as you well know.

Like I said the SCCA is not only political, most of the time they are full of shit when it comes to writing specifications to make cars "equal" on the track. A good percentage of the time they can't even interpert what they wrote themselves.

It's all about who yells the loudest and has the "in" who gets the rules changed in their favor. And don't win by to much or they'll add some idiotic rule or weight to your car to make you more equal.

Rant over
Brett W
Why are you looking at running something other than the standard dual carb manifold? I have never heard of anyone being protested for running the standard Dual IDF manifolds.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 12 2004, 12:50 PM)
Why are you looking at running something other than the standard dual carb manifold? I have never heard of anyone being protested for running the standard Dual IDF manifolds.

Post 1, Line 1:

" The SCCA is proposing to change the Production 914 intake manifold specs.
The latest change specs only 2 manifolds: Pierce p/n 99004-822 or Original p/n 021 129 705N. "
Brett W
I seriously doubt you will ever get hasseled if you use CB performance's version of the Peirce manifold.. There is virtually no difference. I have both sets.l
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 12 2004, 01:30 PM)
I seriously doubt you will ever get hasseled if you use CB performance's version of the Peirce manifold.. There is virtually no difference. I have both sets.l

you know that, i know that -- but i bet if you win a National championship - as Chris has a chance of doing - it'd be a big risk running a known nonconforming part.

Championships have been yanked in scrutineering for less ...
SLITS
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 12 2004, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 12 2004, 01:30 PM)
I seriously doubt  you will ever get hasseled if you use CB performance's version of the Peirce manifold..  There is virtually no difference.  I have both sets.l

you know that, i know that -- but i bet if you win a National championship - as Chris has a chance of doing - it'd be a big risk running a known nonconforming part.

Championships have been yanked in scrutineering for less ...

AMEN pray.gif

Somebody finally gets it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 12 2004, 05:30 PM)

I have several different sets of manifolds and I don't know if any of them meet the requirement, since I have never been shown either of the two spec'ed parts.
I ordered a set of the Pierce manifolds today, so I will have the exact part I need. If any of the other sets I have are the same I will be in great shape, with the ability to set up two complete motors ready to run, legally. smile.gif

Like I said the SCCA is not only political, most of the time they are full of shit when it comes to writing specifications to make cars "equal" on the track. A good percentage of the time they can't even interpert what they wrote themselves.

It's all about who yells the loudest and has the "in" who gets the rules changed in their favor. And don't win by to much or they'll add some idiotic rule or weight to your car to make you more equal.

I actually count dealing with this stuff as part of the fun of SCCA racing. wacko.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(groot @ Jul 12 2004, 11:10 AM)
How's the season going for you?

I haven't been to the track since I crashed last year. The car is finally 100% mechanically ready. I did the alignment and corner balance over the weekend. Now I have to finish the bodywork/painting. I'm planning to be at the Lime Rock National on the 24th of this month if at all possible. It doesn't look too good for the Runoffs for me this year though. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.